C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: Would you buy a C Coupe with 4matic?
Yes, sign me up!
28.89%
Only if it finally has the balls to run with a WRX
31.11%
Maybe...better ditch those C7 tires on the 4matic versions, eh?
11.11%
No...just a waste of money. WHo needs AWD?
28.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

AWD coming to the Coupe!?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Thumbs up AWD coming to the Coupe!?!?

I hope this is true:

MERCEDES SEES EXPLOSIVE AWD GROWTH
Mercedes-Benz expects to see its latest 4Matic all-wheel-drive system to be chosen by at least 50 percent of buyers “on those models it will be available on,” according to marketing chief Dave Schembri. The AWD system is being added to a wide range of Mercedes models over the coming year, including all C-Class sedans and coupes, where it will be an $1800 option. “We’re looking for this to become the next big safety feature,” said Bart Herring, C-Class product manager. Sales of 4Matic are strongest in the snow belt, according to Schembri, but the automaker intends to promote the technology as a plus for performance driving in warmer, drier climes as well. —Paul A. Eisenstein
AWD is something I really, really would have liked in my Coupe. Can you get 4 matic with the manual trans? I doubt I'd trade up given the 1.8 motor...but perhaps when the "350" motor comes out, or a higher output version of the 1.8. The SLK will supposedly have 200HP from that same 1.8....anyone know the changes being made?
Old 02-07-2003, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
probably an error

His name is Eisenstein, not Einstein after all

I think they'll not do it for a few reasons:

1) 4Matic is not offered with any 4 cylinder engine at the moment, and the vast majority of Sportcoupé sales will still have the M271 in them due to price sensitivity of buyers.

2) no 4Matic comes with a manual gearbox and love it or hate it the manual is a common choice in the Sportcoupé.

3) considering the above, the market would be very small and it probably would not be worth Mercedes' effort.

4) the aforementioned incompatibility of the C7 package (v. popular on the CL 203) and the 4Matic conception of safety in mixed weather conditions.

5) since the CL 203 is intended to be a youthful, sporting car, the young punters asked to pay more than a WRX costs for the CL203 4Matic would be disappointed with the pedestrian nature of its 4WD application. It's good enough for a touring sedan but not up to snuff for a higher-performance application. The WRX comparison is an apt one; that is what people would probably be expecting when buying a Sportcoupé with 4Matic, but what they'd get instead is a system designed to get the Stuttgart family doctor around to his house calls in a snowstorm. Definitely not a car to attack the Col de Turini special stage with

I wouldn't want one. I'd rather drive my FWD beater with 4 steelies and snowies in the winter. Mercedes are too prissy to get down and dirty in the winter with Except the Unimog and - maybe - the Geländewagen (EU version with small engine, not the tarted up, overpriced Austrian pimpmobile sold here).

Last edited by Mike T.; 02-07-2003 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 : 2007 C230
C320 SportCoupe 4-matic.... I would be interested in one
Old 02-07-2003, 05:00 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
No idea!
Old 02-07-2003, 05:27 AM

C230 AMG Sports coupe
AWD Ccoupe...if AMG wouldn't breath on it...then I'd not consider it....if my next Benz aint an AMG....it'll be a Porsche!!!
Old 02-07-2003, 05:43 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by London AMG
AWD Ccoupe...if AMG wouldn't breath on it...then I'd not consider it....if my next Benz aint an AMG....it'll be a Porsche!!!
what about the S600, man. It's not an AMG, but would you consider it? I know I would...hehe:p
Old 02-07-2003, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Re: probably an error

Originally posted by Mike T.
Definitely not a car to attack the Col de Turini special stage with
That's what I would want it for, and I know it wouldn't be up to the challenge. That's why we need to get the Peugeot and Citroen. But I doubt those are any better in their street versions. You're best off going with the WRX STi or the new EVo VIII.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:30 PM

C230 AMG Sports coupe
Originally posted by FrankW
what about the S600, man. It's not an AMG, but would you consider it? I know I would...hehe:p
if I had that sort of money,,,i'd not have a C class
Old 02-07-2003, 03:18 PM

W212 E63
RWD is what makes a true sports car. It's where all the fun comes from.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:09 PM
CRB

Either my memory fails me or this AWD coupe market will be a niche that only Benz has an offering in. Unless you think Mercedes is going after Carrera 4 sales?

BAD IDEA.

Last edited by CRB; 02-07-2003 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by CRB
Either my memory fails me or this AWD coupe market will be a niche that only Benz has an offering in. Unless you think Mercedes is going after Carrera 4 sales?

BAD IDEA.
I gotta ask what people smoke before they make these assumptions. How is an under 30K AWD MB 4 cylinder Coupe supposed to be competition for a Carrera 4? Frankly, I'd love AWD. My wifes GC has a slick AWD system that makes it a joy to drive in any weather. My Coupe just flashes the ESP light a lot in the slippery stuff.

Subura is contemplating an AWD Coupe based on the WRX...with a version of it going to another GM brand. AWD is also one of the big selling points for SUV buyers...not everyone buys them just guzzle more gas.

Look at the Poll results...nearly 75% have some interest in the setup.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Thumbs up

I'd order a C350 AWD coupe in a heartbeat.....IF they make it available with a 6 speed trans. I've already told the new sales manager!

Pewter, Charcoal, C2/C4/C5/C7/CD/Tele, AWD, 6sp.

I read Subaru's next coupe will be based on the Legacy with an HP turbo 6...not the WRX. They offered a coupe on the Impreza platform up until 2000, then they 86'd it because sales were slow. They killed the SVX for the same reasons.

Chrysler/Mitsu offered the Eagle Talon/Eclipse with AWD up til 1999...they 86'd it because production costs were too high...and maintenance issues under warranty were too expensive. (I know...I owned a 92 Talon...water pumps and transmissions were replaced 2 times under the 7/70 plan)
Old 02-08-2003, 10:43 AM
CRB

Originally posted by Outland
I gotta ask what people smoke before they make these assumptions. How is an under 30K AWD MB 4 cylinder Coupe supposed to be competition for a Carrera 4? Frankly, I'd love AWD. My wifes GC has a slick AWD system that makes it a joy to drive in any weather. My Coupe just flashes the ESP light a lot in the slippery stuff.

Subura is contemplating an AWD Coupe based on the WRX...with a version of it going to another GM brand. AWD is also one of the big selling points for SUV buyers...not everyone buys them just guzzle more gas.

Look at the Poll results...nearly 75% have some interest in the setup.
Next time I will put an eyeroll in there so you can detect the sarcasm. Let me try that again:

Originally posted by CRB
Unless you think Mercedes is going after Carrera 4 sales?
Also, saying that you would be interested in such a car on an internet poll and showing up at your local dealer ready to buy are two things quite distinct. Moreover, Mercedes has yet to release AWD with the manual tranny.

Audi or Subaru would be the obvious likely manufacter of a AWD coupe and yet neither company has one in thier current offerings. Hmmmm, I wonder why?
Old 02-08-2003, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CRB

Also, saying that you would be interested in such a car on an internet poll and showing up at your local dealer ready to buy are two things quite distinct.
Had AWD been available when I bought it and you could get a stick shift, yes, I would have been there with cash inhand.

Moreover, Mercedes has yet to release AWD with the manual tranny.
That was covered in the original post.

Audi or Subaru would be the obvious likely manufacter of a AWD coupe and yet neither company has one in thier current offerings. Hmmmm, I wonder why?
Amazing...and youre not working for a major manufacturer yet? They are fools to let your obviously superior knowledge of the market go unused.

Lets review a few things that people like you said there was no market for:

A small, ugly, high performance AWD Sedan...oops...now we have 2.

Pocket rockets from all the manufacturers...used to be only Honda's Si versions were all that the market wanted...now there's a dozen of em...most better performers than the Hondas they ape.

A small four door wagon, with performance and AWD versions...did someone say Matrix, P5 or Vibe? Hmmm, I think there's even a WRX wagon...

High performance SUV's...can't swing a dead cat without hitting half a dozen now- Even friggen Porsche makes one.

You get to be a market LEADER by doing things first...not waiting for your rivals to saturate the market. And not every car has to be sold on the volumes of say, a Honda Accord.

Oh, and one more thing, the A4 Coupe should be here for 04, with Quattro optional. Hmmmm, I wonder why?
Old 02-08-2003, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hmmm....
Interesting how the anonimity of the internet can turn a viable source of customer interest and feedback to the manufacturer...into a mele' of sarcasm and bitterness.

Be civil, for Pete's sake (whomever Pete might be)

Old 02-08-2003, 04:10 PM
CRB

Originally posted by Outland Lets review a few things that people like you...
I do think a major gas crunch would put the damper on high-performance SUV sales, for sure. Porsche's timing could have been better.

I know that VW is going to be the Guinia pig here with thier R32 (nee Super Golf) offering. That an Audi A4 clone of same is waiting in the wings wouldn't surprise me at all.

There may well be a niche market for high performance AWD coupes with manual transmissions, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Mercedes-Benz to plumb it.

Originally posted by Rick
hmmm....
Interesting how the anonimity of the internet can turn a viable source of customer interest and feedback to the manufacturer...into a mele' of sarcasm and bitterness.
No bitterness here.

But if Mercedes-Benz is listening: My advice is, import a whole bunch of those AWD coupes to America. They will look great sitting next to the C-wagons already on the dealer lots. Make sure to include a liberal dose of Citron green and Paprika ones in the mix to add a spash of color to that sea of black and silver.

OK, maybe a touch of sarcasm there.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by CRB
Moreover, Mercedes has yet to release AWD with the manual tranny.
I'm sure Euro, ML, G-wagen, Combi and truck owners would disagree...
Old 02-09-2003, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by CRB
I do think a major gas crunch would put the damper on high-performance SUV sales, for sure. Porsche's timing could have been better.
I doubt that anyone who can afford the ridiculous price of the Cayenne is going to care about gas prices.

That an Audi A4 clone of same is waiting in the wings wouldn't surprise me at all.
The Audi A4 Coupe is simply a two door version of the existing A4...its a no brainer for them. Its not waiting in the wings...its one the schedule. Ask around at your dealer if your don't believe all the stuff already on the web about it.

There may well be a niche market for high performance AWD coupes with manual transmissions, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Mercedes-Benz to plumb it.
For the V6 sedans, yes, the manual is less of a concern...but for the Coupes, and even the supercharged C230 Sedan, the manual transmission is essential in maintaining the character of the car. Its simply not that much fun with an automatic.

They will look great sitting next to the C-wagons already on the dealer lots.
None on the lots around here. If you live in a warm climate, I'm sure AWD is less of an interest to you...however, around here there's plenty of days that AWD would be a welcome addition. I'd probably have bought a WRX if the thing hadn't been so damn ugly...and a four door.

OK, maybe a touch of sarcasm there.

Last edited by Outland; 02-09-2003 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Subie Steps up to the plate

Here's one shoe dropping:

Sporty concept coupe slated for Geneva show signals Subie's new design direction

Subaru officials say the vehicle is not just a styling exercise, but a sign of Subaru-designed vehicles to come. Similar cues could be worn on a totally-new sport/utility wagon due in 2005 and possibly the redesigned '05 Legacy, which is nearing the end of its development phase and is said to be getting a twin-turbo engine on its option list.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
While we dont get much snow and ice here, we have had 3 winter storms this year. I would have gladly paid ( or parents would have) an extra $1800 for 4-matic in my coupe. I can see it now a 2004 C350 Sports Coupe 4-Matic. Where should I put down my deposit.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:50 PM

Wow, although beauty is subjective, I must say that's quite a departure from current Subaru design. Admittedly, the bug-eye GD-chassis Impreza was pretty weird looking, but the newly redesigned 2004 Impreza is pretty nice. Watching it in action in this year's WRC made me want one! However, if they're going to redesign Imprezas again along this style, I think I'm going to take back what I said.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:20 AM

C320 Coupe
I've never needed anything more than RWD. The only reason I'd buy and Audi or Subaru with AWD is because these vehicles are primarily FWD and need to the optional AWD to correct their design limitations.

Make a limited slip diff available and I'd buy that in a heart beat. Give me 500 HP and I'll consider the legitimate need for AWD.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess you've never driven a car with all wheel drive. 4Matic splits power evenly with traction control to all four wheels. Subaru is a 50/50 split to front and rear, while Audi has 4 wheel independant drive. Even Volvo jumped into the fray with their own design. This does HUGE things for the way a car handles through turns!

Chrysler/Mitsu developed a viscous system for the Talon/Laser/Eclipse....and now Daimler Chrysler has announced a joint venture with Mitsubishi for drive line components....hmmm.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally posted by London AMG
now ya talkin !!!
Old 02-18-2003, 12:35 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
4WD, I'd go with the NEW Impreza WRX STi. 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque. You got to love'em.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWD coming to the Coupe!?!?