C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: Would you buy a C Coupe with 4matic?
Yes, sign me up!
28.89%
Only if it finally has the balls to run with a WRX
31.11%
Maybe...better ditch those C7 tires on the 4matic versions, eh?
11.11%
No...just a waste of money. WHo needs AWD?
28.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

AWD coming to the Coupe!?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by Rick
I guess you've never driven a car with all wheel drive.
AWD rocks! I can't see how anyone would say he can't see the use of AWD? A WRX can match the 0-60 of a Mustang- a car which outguns it considerably in both HP and Torque---yet the two have very close curb wieghts. Its all in the traction! How hard is that to figure out? Race a WRX in a C-Coupe, you'll be rather shocked to find out that aside from getting killed off the line, he won't pull on you if youre already moving.

4Matic splits power evenly with traction control to all four wheels. Subaru is a 50/50 split to front and rear, while Audi has 4 wheel independant drive. Even Volvo jumped into the fray with their own design. This does HUGE things for the way a car handles through turns!

Chrysler/Mitsu developed a viscous system for the Talon/Laser/Eclipse....and now Daimler Chrysler has announced a joint venture with Mitsubishi for drive line components....hmmm.
The Quadra Drive system on the Jeep Grand Cherokee gets my nod for favorite AWD system...it can direct the power anywhere...ALL of it to one wheel, or split as needed. Most systems have a limit on how much can be shifted between the axles....to say nothing of the wheels.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:45 AM

C320 Coupe
Ok, Uncle, I give. Just read my Autoweek and MB is releasing an AMG SL65 with about 650 HP and over 720 ft lbs of torque. AWD may be required to harness that much power. Wonder if the 6.5 liter will fit in an E class?

Otherwise AWD is just extra unsprung weight.

Yes the WRX is quick off the line. Just don't let off the throttle. Waiting for the turbo to spool up is like waiting for my Accord auto to down shift. I takes an eternity. I haven't found any turbo that I'm truely happy with in city driving. They are great on the highway though. I'll take a Kompressor. Just my opinion.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Thumbs up

On second thought (ok....fifth thought)....I'll take a Silver C230K AWD MT6 with a roller cam, stroked motor, stripped interior, no panorama roof, no C1/C4/C5/C7, 6 point roll cage, big fat nasty tires...and see you on the WRC circuit....

Rallye rocks!
(there's your 'niche' market....MB can you HEAR ME?)
Old 02-19-2003, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by CRB

Audi or Subaru would be the obvious likely manufacter of a AWD coupe and yet neither company has one in thier current offerings. Hmmmm, I wonder why?
First the Subie, now the A4...bummer for you.

I think the A4 looks absolutely beautiful as a Coupe! I think if this had been out at the time I bought the Benz, I would have had a hard choice to make
Old 02-19-2003, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by TNblkc230wz
Ok, Uncle, I give. Just read my Autoweek and MB is releasing an AMG SL65 with about 650 HP and over 720 ft lbs of torque. AWD may be required to harness that much power. Wonder if the 6.5 liter will fit in an E class?
Used to be that 300HP was badass....not anymore

Otherwise AWD is just extra unsprung weight.
Honestly, given how heavy most MB's are, does another 150lbs make a difference?

I'll wager that given how my 'lowly' C230 will shred its C7's during a hard launch off the line, an AWD version would easily be quicker, despite the added mass.

Yes the WRX is quick off the line. Just don't let off the throttle. Waiting for the turbo to spool up is like waiting for my Accord auto to down shift. I takes an eternity. I haven't found any turbo that I'm truely happy with in city driving. They are great on the highway though. I'll take a Kompressor. Just my opinion.

Fair enough...but disliking the spool time of the Turbo has nothing to do with the beauty of All Wheel Drive(with apologies to Subaru)

There's also a rumor that GM's new Delta and Epsilon platform cars will spawn AWD versions...the new Opel Astra is seriously cool looking. An AWD version would be even cooler

Last edited by Outland; 02-19-2003 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:20 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by Outland
First the Subie, now the A4...bummer for you.

I think the A4 looks absolutely beautiful as a Coupe! I think if this had been out at the time I bought the Benz, I would have had a hard choice to make
although it photoshoped from the cabrio that is one HOT Audi.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Upgrading to AWD?

Is it even possible? What mechanical changes would be involved?