C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Renntech Muffler Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for noticing, I use Klasse, it's quick to put on and it shines up nice. When you have a black car the quality of the wax you use stands out more.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I took the Renntech muffler off and picked up the extra power and it was across the power band, actually looked good on the dyno. The loss of backpressure didn't seem to bother the car and rewarded me with the extra ponies. It's hard to compare the sound of the straight pipes to anything but I'll try. This was indoors in a garage, at idle and low RPM it was wonderful, not loud at all, a deep hot rod rumble. I would compare it to a Harley with aftermarket pipes, not a Harley with straight pipes. Even then it sounded quieter than a Harley and deeper. At higher RPMS the engine noise competed with the exhaust so it didn't make the room any louder than it already was, just different. Keep in mind I have the resonator and this was indoors and there was a wall about 4' from the back of the car to echo the sound. It would sound quieter outside and I don't think you would get stopped or ticketed, it just not that loud. I'm think about putting in a Y pipe with a valve to bypass the muffler at the flip of a switch.
did u dyno it with the renntech muffler?
Old 02-13-2003, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, with Renntech and without any muffler, no muffler won by 5 1/2 HP and 6 ft-lbs torque and it sounded better. Here's the pic of a the disconnected Renntech muffler on the dyno.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:17 AM
gab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so did you pick up any power with the muffler on vs stcok muffler?

the cat probably produced enough back pressure and I wonder if u picked up any power by removing the resonator

so did you test how much power you picked up from the intercooler since your last run?
Old 02-13-2003, 04:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Yes, with Renntech and without any muffler, no muffler won by 5 1/2 HP and 6 ft-lbs torque and it sounded better. Here's the pic of a the disconnected Renntech muffler on the dyno.
what happened to your nice clean car?

so do u know approx. how much hp u could have gained with the renntech or no? How much HP do u have now total with the intercooler and exhaust.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I didn't do a before/after dyno on the muffler, too anxious to get it on. I don't know what went wrong but I actually lost HP from stock and I'm still investigating to see what went wrong. At first I thought it was a blockage in the muffler but without the muffler I had only a 6HP gain and wouldn't account for a HP drop from stock with a pulley and intercooler.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:16 PM
gab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so were the dynos performed at the same place and similar weather?

Did you do any before/after intercooler dyno?

Could intercooler lose power because lost of pressure while the cooler weather could compensate
the heat soak problem of the intercooler?
Old 02-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
I didn't do a before/after dyno on the muffler, too anxious to get it on. I don't know what went wrong but I actually lost HP from stock and I'm still investigating to see what went wrong. At first I thought it was a blockage in the muffler but without the muffler I had only a 6HP gain and wouldn't account for a HP drop from stock with a pulley and intercooler.
how much HP did u loose? Or how much do u have now?

maybe its the new ASP pulley with the steel sleeve making the difference. Are the fuel setting the same as when u dynoed last?