C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 stalled at lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240 (w203)
Unhappy W203 stalled at lights

Hi all,

I have a W203, 2001, c-class sedan, auto. FMBSH, Last service Jan '09.
I was driving for about 2 hours, then came to a slow stop at the traffic lights. I lost braking power (as in the brake was very light and spongy), and the dashboard lit up like a xmas tree. Every single light was on!

I turned the engine off, tried to turn it over. Wouldn't budge. Tried to turn the steering wheel and that wouldn't budge either. Pulled the Tomtom from the 12v socket.
Put the gear stick to park, started it up again, and then it worked. Was kinda panicking, as I was the first car at the lights, and a whole load of cars were beeping at me.
After about 10-15 seconds of faffing about and the car finally starting, I managed to drive the car to a road and parked and checked it again... no malfunctions, no nothing.

I've read in other posts that it could be CPS or other (MAF) sensors that need replacing, but I can't afford that as I have jsut been made redundant.
According to this post: http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=49789, (post #5) it could well be the MAF

This is the first time it's happened to me, and I've never had this sort of problem before. I am worried that this might happen when am on the motorway at 70mph, then I would be in deep ****.

Should I take this to the MB garage for them to have a look? Or is this a very rare case and only happens when stopping/very slow speeds.

Last edited by waga; 05-25-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by waga
Hi all,

I have a W203, 2001, c-class sedan, auto. FMBSH, Last service Jan '09.
I was driving for about 2 hours, then came to a slow stop at the traffic lights. I lost braking power (as in the brake was very light and spongy), and the dashboard lit up like a xmas tree. Every single light was on!

I turned the engine off, tried to turn it over. Wouldn't budge. Tried to turn the steering wheel and that wouldn't budge either. Pulled the Tomtom from the 12v socket.
Put the gear stick to park, started it up again, and then it worked. Was kinda panicking, as I was the first car at the lights, and a whole load of cars were beeping at me.
After about 10-15 seconds of faffing about and the car finally starting, I managed to drive the car to a road and parked and checked it again... no malfunctions, no nothing.

I've read in other posts that it could be CPS or other (MAF) sensors that need replacing, but I can't afford that as I have jsut been made redundant.
According to this post: http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=49789, (post #5) it could well be the MAF

This is the first time it's happened to me, and I've never had this sort of problem before. I am worried that this might happen when am on the motorway at 70mph, then I would be in deep ****.

Should I take this to the MB garage for them to have a look? Or is this a very rare case and only happens when stopping/very slow speeds.

Holy. ****.
I'd be hella' scared if I lost braking power
The dashboard wouldn't have lit up like a christmas tree faster than my face.

This needs some serious attention.
Someone from this forum may help you very soon, as I am no expert.
All I have to say is: DON'T DRIVE UNTIL THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED! Please. If not for your safety, for all of those around you
Old 05-25-2009, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
You have no CEL at all? You might want to have the codes read and see if anything is stored, as you can have stored codes without the actual light being on.

What does it mean to be made redundant? Working for the department of redundancy department? Okay bad joke.

Hopefully you can get this solved without much $$.

Edit: I think he means he lost the hydraulic assist for the brakes. The brakes feel much different once the engine stops working even though they do still function.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C320
Same thing happened to me last week. It was the day after I cleaned my MAF, TB, and air filters. I just took everything back off and put it back on and I seem to be back to normal. You might want to clean the MAF rather than replace it (many threads on that here). If it stalls again, just remember to put it back in park first b/c it won't start in drive no matter what.

I also had the Cam Position Sensor go bad on me. The same stalling and dash lighting up happened, but the car would not start again until it had cooled down again.

I would clean the MAF and see if it happens again. Your symptoms don't point to the CPS (at least from my one experience) as that seems to be more heat related and yours seems to be slow speed/stopping related.

Last edited by JLD2k3; 05-25-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: clarification: CPS could be Crank or Cam Pos. sens.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
... came to a slow stop at the traffic lights. I lost braking power (as in the brake was very light and spongy), and the dashboard lit up like a xmas tree. Every single light was on! ....
Motor died, no power brakes. Typical CPS failure symptom.

...I turned the engine off, tried to turn it over. Wouldn't budge. Tried to turn the steering wheel and that wouldn't budge either. ....
What do you mean "wouldn't budge"? Wouldn't turn over or wouldn't start? Or both? No power steering when motor dies, consistent with first symptom. Car has to be in park to start.

.. Pulled the Tomtom from the 12v socket...
What does this mean?

.. it could well be the MAF...
This wouldn't kill the motor and would trigger a CEL.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:54 PM

2001 C240 (w203)
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
You have no CEL at all? You might want to have the codes read and see if anything is stored, as you can have stored codes without the actual light being on.

What does it mean to be made redundant? Working for the department of redundancy department? Okay bad joke.

Hopefully you can get this solved without much $$.

Edit: I think he means he lost the hydraulic assist for the brakes. The brakes feel much different once the engine stops working even though they do still function.
Yup, I lost the hydraulic assist for the brakes. The brakes were still working, otherwise I would have rolled down the hill at the traffic lights
Old 05-25-2009, 09:02 PM

2001 C240 (w203)
Originally Posted by mleskovar
Motor died, no power brakes. Typical CPS failure symptom.

What do you mean "wouldn't budge"? Wouldn't turn over or wouldn't start? Or both? No power steering when motor dies, consistent with first symptom. Car has to be in park to start.

What does this mean?

This wouldn't kill the motor and would trigger a CEL.
Wouldn't budge as in wouldn't start.

TomTom = GPS navigation.

Hmm... if it is a CPS (Crankshaft position sensor) fault, do you think it would be safe to drive the car to the local MB garage?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
...if it is a CPS (Crankshaft position sensor) fault, do you think it would be safe to drive the car to the local MB garage?
Yes...but, it could stop again. Usually the failure starts off intermittent (mine failed once in three days). Let us know what happens.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
well you can buy the cps sensor for $45 on ebay so its not a horribly expensive part to replace. I would replace just as preventative maintence because every cps sensor on the w203 goes bad. its more of a matter of when then if.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Car
Yup, I lost the hydraulic assist for the brakes. The brakes were still working, otherwise I would have rolled down the hill at the traffic lights
Interesting, same thing happend to me today while driving. (engine didnt stall or anything like that) Brakes all of a sudden felt very light and spongy for some reason. (it definately felt different, same way as you described it) I though cause i wasnt braking hard enough or something. Now I see its the hydraulic assist. Ill drive it again tmrw and see if it continues to do so.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:44 PM

2019 E450 Sedan 4Matic
Yeah the MAF regardless of how dirty wont do that, even if it is disconnected, the computer will run on a default setting.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
theres a post when i crashed my car the same thing happened to me look it up ill try to find the thread...

https://mbworld.org/forums/off-topic...o-airbags.html

Last edited by krisv420; 05-26-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM

c320 wagon
Engine starts but only run on idle.

Engine starts to turn off once transmission is engaged. shaking "maracas" sound undernit, can this be the catalytic converters? Fuel pressure is good, external fuel filter replaced

Please help DIYers! I'm unemployed, any help is very much appreciated.