C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C-Class GAS/FUEL Filler CAP (issues & problems) Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 08:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry C-Class GAS/FUEL Filler CAP (issues & problems) Thread

Howdy Folks:
Are any of you as disappointed as I am with the gas cap holder on the fill flap. No matter how careful I try to be, I seem to dislodge it when refilling, so that it falls on the exterior surface just below the flap. If I keep this up, I'm sure to chip the paint. Yeah, I could take matters into my own hands, but has anyone mentioned it to their dealer?
Old 02-25-2002, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
I had the same problem, until I cut the cord. Not I just put it on the roof when I fill up.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:18 PM

w203 c230K 2002
I played with that also, I finally found a way to put it in the holder that keeps it in place securely. I still don’t like it and you do have to force it in there pretty good.
Randy
Old 02-25-2002, 08:34 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
In Jersey, by law you have full service only at the pumps. I haven't paid attention, but I bet the attendant just lets it dangle and scrape the paint
Old 02-26-2002, 12:43 AM
benzomonterey

It plain sucks
Old 02-26-2002, 06:10 AM

I think it is poorly designed also. In addition, the cord is twisted to an almost unusable lenght on my car. I don't know why they did not use the same setup as on my E-class as that one works just fine.

JR
Old 02-26-2002, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Interesting the things you don't realize everyone is experiencing. I've had problems with the gas cap holder too, and I just sort of push it in. Once when I went to Exxon the pump handle had that large advertising gizmo at the top and I almost couldn't fit the nozzle into the tank w/ the cap sitting there. I've learned how to position the cord when I close it. A couple of times, it twisted and caught hold of the door which made it hard to open next time.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:06 AM

C32 AMG
Put it in BACKWARDS with the handle pointing to the front of the car. It does't make sense, but it fits securely that way.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:13 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I insert the cap into the holder with the handle pointing to the front of the car (not the flap), with the cord protruding from the holder, pointing toward the outer edge of the flap. In this manner the cap goes into the slot easily and is held there securely. Yes, you can dislodge it with the gas filler nozzle, but I've learned not to jostle it.

It works just like my previous car (a Ford), so as with any other car it's just a learning curve issue for me.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
After 6 months...

I finally realized what I've been doing wrong trying to put the gas cap into the holder! Last two times I gassed up, I figured it out. What I didn't realize is that the holder is set at an angle. I was trying to push the cap into the holder parallel with the open gas tank door. If you place the cap, handle to the right (toward front of car) and angle the cap so the rear is further to the right (front slightly to the left), it slips right in! It isn't held in tightly, but at least I don't have to force it now.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:32 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
The owners manual has a picture of the cap placement in the flap. (No wonder it's nearly 400 pages long.) I don't have the page number handy, though.
Old 03-04-2002, 02:24 PM

2002 C230K
In the C230 manual, the picture is on page 278. I just tried it, and it works great.

Dave
Old 03-04-2002, 05:08 PM

C230K
is this what you guys are having trouble with?
it seems pretty logical to me

Last edited by Vince; 03-04-2002 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 08:47 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Originally posted by Vince
is this what you guys are having trouble with?
it seems pretty logical to me
Next time you might want to try saving the picture as a JPEG so it isn't so big...
Old 04-22-2002, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Angry Gas Cap did not go on today!

Today i went to the gas station to fill up today and right as i finished and tried to put the gas cap on it did not go. i tried turning all different ways but it did not lay flat i was at the gas pump for about 25min. trying to get it on a people were looking at me like its a rent a car and i dont know how to put gas in. After a while a person who works at the gas station came out and asked if i needed help and i showed him what was wrong and he tried putting it on and he could not do it eaither. so he said thats what u get for waisting you money on a Mercedes. So i said thanks for your help can u please leave. Well anyway he left and i was still stuck with the gas cap not going on so i decided to just drive home as is. I thought the Check Engine light would go on but it didn't. I finally got home and tried fixing it and it still did not go. So i called 1-800-for-mercedes and spoke to a road side assistance person. He told me this happens all the time, he said i should get a pair of pliers and pick up the 2 silver latches on the inside and put those latches on the white plastic peice. Mine looked like a cross like + that and they were supose to be on top of eachother in a straight line like --- that. If u dont know what i am talking about just go look on yours u will see the metal peices on top of the white plastic peice. Which is the correct way. So after a while of trying to do it i finally got it and put it back on and now it works fine. I am just wondering why this happened?? its not like i pulled it hard or different than usual it was just a normal way of opening your gas cap. Well i am glad its fixed and i did not have to bring it to the dealer or anything but i was just curious did this ever happen to any of you??
Old 04-22-2002, 07:47 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
looks like its not ur fault...i'm thinking maybe its cause by the gas nozzel from the station and it some how mess it up...because i know some of the stations near where i lives have some of the most messed up gas nozzel i hav ever seen...once it had actually stuck to my dad's fun car 1.8T beetle.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:54 PM

M3
Re: Gas Cap did not go on today!

Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
...so he said thats what u get for waisting you money on a Mercedes...
To which you should've replied "At least I don't work at a gas station buddy! HAHAHAHA".

I hate jeleous "haters".
Old 04-22-2002, 07:58 PM

yea that happened to me yesterday....

I was filling up gas at a mobil station near my house yesterday and when the tank was full i tried to put my gas cap back...but it wouldn't go back in...I took a look at the gas cap and realize that the two metal prongs were not in sync with the white plastic under it...anyhow I rotated the plastic so that the two prongs were lifted up a bit enough that it fit back....I don't think it has anything to do with the stations gas nozzle because it doesn't even touch the cap...its probably cuz I twisted it and it somehow got caught and twisted back the opposite direction releasing the locking mechanism in the cap...no big problem...took me about a couple minutes to realize what happened...I felt like a retard though...hehe
Old 04-22-2002, 10:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Re: Re: Gas Cap did not go on today!

Originally posted by KJ-TypeR

To which you should've replied "At least I don't work at a gas station buddy! HAHAHAHA".

I hate jeleous "haters".
yea i should have said that but i was so pissed i did not even realize i just wanted it fixed. Maybe i will go back oneday and say something.

Originally posted by pndxprss

yea that happened to me yesterday....
I was filling up gas at a mobil station near my house yesterday and when the tank was full i tried to put my gas cap back...but it wouldn't go back in...I took a look at the gas cap and realize that the two metal prongs were not in sync with the white plastic under it...anyhow I rotated the plastic so that the two prongs were lifted up a bit enough that it fit back....I don't think it has anything to do with the stations gas nozzle because it doesn't even touch the cap...its probably cuz I twisted it and it somehow got caught and twisted back the opposite direction releasing the locking mechanism in the cap...no big problem...took me about a couple minutes to realize what happened...I felt like a retard though...hehe

i felt pretty stuipid to.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It hasn't happened to me ....yet... but thanks for the info on what to do if this ever does happen....
Old 04-22-2002, 11:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did this once. The cause is if you turn the gas cap before it is completely on, it will push the 2 metal prongs the wrong direction (or something like that...). It must happen relatively frequently, because my service advisor had a tool that is used only to fix this problem, sitting on his desk when I arrived.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Mach430
I did this once. The cause is if you turn the gas cap before it is completely on, it will push the 2 metal prongs the wrong direction (or something like that...). It must happen relatively frequently, because my service advisor had a tool that is used only to fix this problem, sitting on his desk when I arrived.
i would like that tool, but for now i just put a pair of pliers in my car just incase it happens again.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Angry Coupe Fuel Cap HELP!

What the hell is going on. I went to fill up gas in the morning, so I unscrew the cap okay. After I am done, i try to close the cap and no Avail. I am like WTF, so i attempt for the next 2-3 minutes while people are looking at me like What the hell.

So I just took it off the plastic wire piece, and put it in the car, and drove with out a fuel cap. Then the error message came on.

My question is what's wrong?. Has this happend to anyone.?
Will this do damage to my car?

Since my dealer is far away, i just dont want to drive all the way there.?
Old 01-24-2003, 06:42 PM

Mercedes Benz C320
Lightbulb

Well, same thing happened to me with my 2002 C320 and I felt like an idiot too, but I called tel-aid and they told me to re-align the white plastic wing on the inside of the fuel cap to the metal wing, and, sun of a gun, it worked!

Hope that helps. It is a ridiculous thing to happen.

Bobbyrab
Old 01-24-2003, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K
Thanks I will try that

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C-Class GAS/FUEL Filler CAP (issues & problems) Thread