C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C240 vs. 325i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2002 | 03:16 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
My father's 1986 328 has the power window buttons on the center too, near the shifter. Personally, over the years, this has been a great feature (not a negative). Can't tell you how many times the passenger has wanted to lower or raise the driver's window. I actually wish more cars were like this.

If forced to choose between those two cars, I'd choose the 325 for sportiness (I'm a sport car person and refuse to own a 4 door vehicle). However, if I was choosing a car as a 'sedan', as if buying for my wife (more realistic example), I'd choose the 240 as it is less common and more exclusive.
Old 01-26-2002 | 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Here's my take on this issue. I think what it comes down to is how much better you like the style/interior/name/relative rarity of the Mercedes. You can make the 240 handle and accelerate at 325 auto levels easily. With some AMG suspension (shocks, springs for $750)and some wheels it will handle, and if you are willing to void the warranty there are products available that will make it run alot better than the 8.1 (0-60) the 325 is rated at. But, at that point you are in C320 range (although it would still need shocks/springs and wheels). For the 240 Renntech has a $4000 package that takes horsepower into the high 180's, and you can buy just an exhaust for $600-$1200. They are both good choices, it would certainly be a tough decision for me.

Andrew
Old 01-26-2002 | 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by Flashman
My father's 1986 328 has the power window buttons on the center too, near the shifter. Personally, over the years, this has been a great feature (not a negative). Can't tell you how many times the passenger has wanted to lower or raise the driver's window. I actually wish more cars were like this.
Flashman, I guess it's a personal preference as many things are. For me, the driver convenience overrides anything else as far as the window controls. I had a car with the controls on the console (4-door sedan) and it was very inconvenient for me to have to look and fumble with the switches when I wanted to open the windows. On a coupe it might not be so bad since there are only 2 windows, but on my sedan, there are many times in mild weather when I want to open all of the windows partway, and having the controls on the door where I can simply "drop" my hand an easily work the controls. Also, on the BMW, the switches are so far apart it's impossible to work more than one at a time. If they were clustered together, I wouldn't object as much. Just my $.02!
Old 01-26-2002 | 08:26 PM

Red face

My comments about the BMW were not meant to slam the product. I am only making a point about design. Since the 3 series and C class are entry level products I am still amazed at the level of sophistication that the C class has.

Consider that it is the only car in its class that has a multiplexed optical backbone connecting all the car electronics. You won't find this in a 3 series and you won't be able to change things on the fly like C class owners can do with their steering wheel menus.
This speaks of an engineering design that is more advanced than the 3 series. True in ultimate handling the BMW may be better but it is important to note that MB is catching up fast. C class also has standard ESP and traction control which is optional on the BMW. If you are looking at performance only give the nod to the bimmer but true engineering sophistication goes to the benz.
Old 01-26-2002 | 08:40 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
I feel compelled to add my two cents to this thread.

1. First off. The C240 w/auto tranny IS NOT SLOW. The engine is soooo smooth and quiet and it produces good power. It's not an M3 or C32, but it's not supposed to be. For the cars it competes with, it's pretty damn good. I have no problem getting up too speed and then passing every damn car on the highway with ease. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

2. Most bimmer owners are not overly impressed with the performance of the 325. From what I've heard, the car dies after 120km/h.

3. I have not found the auto tranny on my car to "hunt" for the right gear. As I said above the car is so smooth. It's seamless. I can't feel it change gears. With some automatics you know when it's changing gears, but not this one. As for losing power with 4 people in the car, I haven't noticed that either.

If you want a sporty car, get the bimmer. If you want luxo, get the benz. IMHO, the Benz is a more rounded car. It wins hands down in the luxury dept, and it isn't that far off in the sport dept than some people claim. I have never driven an e46 325, but I do have an e36 318, so I do know my BMW's.
Old 01-28-2002 | 11:53 AM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
Originally posted by AndrewK
Here's my take on this issue. I think what it comes down to is how much better you like the style/interior/name/relative rarity of the Mercedes. You can make the 240 handle and accelerate at 325 auto levels easily. With some AMG suspension (shocks, springs for $750)and some wheels it will handle, and if you are willing to void the warranty there are products available that will make it run alot better than the 8.1 (0-60) the 325 is rated at. But, at that point you are in C320 range (although it would still need shocks/springs and wheels). For the 240 Renntech has a $4000 package that takes horsepower into the high 180's, and you can buy just an exhaust for $600-$1200. They are both good choices, it would certainly be a tough decision for me.

Andrew
and now you have spent enought to buy a C320 Sport... I ask WHY???

and if you really want to talk acceleration, start at 7.1 for the bimmer, as thats the Manual Trans time.

Having driven them all, i can truthfully say that the C240 is a worthless car to try to modify for performance. the same money you spend on the C240 will easily buy a 330 or a C320, both of which will still embarrass the modified C240.
Old 01-28-2002 | 12:12 PM

Originally posted by David N.
I feel compelled to add my two cents to this thread.

1. First off. The C240 w/auto tranny IS NOT SLOW.

2. Most bimmer owners are not overly impressed with the performance of the 325. From what I've heard, the car dies after 120km/h.

IMHO, the C240 auto is really SLOW... when I drove it, I was constantly forced to hammer the **** out of it to make it get up and go from a light (a common test of speed in american automobiledom)

and I have no idea which 325 owners you are talking to, I've never heard that. the auto is not a "screamer" for sure, but it will still put the screws to you at speed. 120km/h is about 75, and I think that from about 40 up to 90 is the strong point for a 325 auto (I've driven 4)... as far as 325 manuals go, they are good from about 20-90.

I have a b@stard-child 2.5 ("2.3" only 170hp) and only yesterday ran my car to the limiter ar 128. I covered it easily within the standing mile (shifting at about 5500). granted mine is in a 3000 lb roadster, but its aerodynamics are inferior, and I was carrying an extra passenger, so at those speeds I can't imagine the 325 being much slower with an extra 15hp... in the automatic or the manual, if you want to accelerate hard, you need to stay in 4th until at least 70. however, my car pulls in 5th nicely from 45 on up.

Last edited by dasMafia; 01-28-2002 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2002 | 01:39 PM

I have to agree w/ Das Mafia's review. I took back to back test drives in a 325i w/ auto and a C240 w/auto and while the 325i had what I'll term was adequate power, the C240 almost felt like a 4-cyl engine. Not meant to infuriate C240/auto owners, but MHO.
Old 01-28-2002 | 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
I used to drive a BMW but honestly I cant go back ever since I had my first Mercedes Benz. It just seems different. I love my Mercedes, I did modify it a lot to suit my needs but I do enjoy it and gets lots of complements. And yes my car does look very sporty, much more than most fixed up BMW's. The 6 Speed is also a blast and with bigger rims it handles like a dream. Very fun to drive. Hopefully I can post up pics of my car soon.
Old 01-28-2002 | 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by dasMafia
and I have no idea which 325 owners you are talking to, I've never heard that. the auto is not a "screamer" for sure, but it will still put the screws to you at speed. 120km/h is about 75, and I think that from about 40 up to 90 is the strong point for a 325 auto (I've driven 4)... as far as 325 manuals go, they are good from about 20-90.
mostly from the DTM board. actually, for me, its the 40-60mph (when i'm merging onto freeway traffic), that i feel its a little pokey.

i don't mean its slow. i've driven a lot of cars that were worse. i just mean, i wish it was a little more and that's why i'd get the 330 next time. again, though, mine is auto and a wagon and all-wheel drive and when i drive it, it usually means eileen is in it, and the baby and all the baby paraphernalia...

but even then, if performance is THE primary criterion (and i know this thread isn't), then i'd be very suprised to know any bmw driver that would be completely satisfied w/ the 325.

Last edited by young; 01-28-2002 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2002 | 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
I think that all Mercedes and BMW need better suspension and bigger rims to really handle good unless its the M series or AMG Class. My C240 drives fine with enough power to pass people when I need it which is on the freeways. I still opt for a Merc cuz it just makes me happy knowing I own a Mercedes.
Old 01-29-2002 | 10:23 AM

Originally posted by BrabusCClass
I think that all Mercedes and BMW need better suspension and bigger rims to really handle good unless its the M series or AMG Class. My C240 drives fine with enough power to pass people when I need it which is on the freeways. I still opt for a Merc cuz it just makes me happy knowing I own a Mercedes.
this statement seems a bit misinformed. of all the new BMWs (granted this is different for older versions, and possibly non-US versions) come with a minimum 16-inch rim with a 205/50 speed-rated tire. this is a great touring setup (my car came with 225/50-16s) and only limits the driver beyond 8/10ths of the suspension. in the US this is only the case on two models, the 325 and the Z3 2.5. every other BMW starts with 17-inch wheels and pretty beefy tires.

if conventional wisdom tells us that less sidewall is better, it also tells us that less weight is also better. this reason is why BMW has been so reluctant to offer 18s on everything. BMW prides itself on equiping its cars with extremely light wheels, moreso than any other major manufacturer. in order for BMW to use a larger rim, they ensure that their is no performance lost, hence only "overpowered" and larger examples (M3, M5, the odd X5, new 745) come with 18s. the other thing to remember here is that their are very few great tires available for 18-inch sizes, and those that are, are many times still inferior to their smaller counterparts.

I draw attention to an article in Road & Track (IIRC) that tested a enw porsche with the stock 17s and the optional 18s... in every test they ran, including all of the subjective ratings, the 17s outperformed the 18s.

additionally, I think you have not driven a (new) stock 3 or 5 with the sport package (an option that is required of this subject matter, evaluating a car's suspension for sportiness and feel without even selecting the "sport" suspension for the vehicle tested is academically negligent) as they each handle marvelously and lack nothing in grip or responsiveness. I personally fear the day that 30-series 18-inch fare becomes de rigeur. And I applaud BMW's resistance to this fad.

as far as mercedes goes, they need to tighten up the suspension, but the wheel/tires sizes fall tot he same arguments as above.

Last edited by dasMafia; 01-29-2002 at 10:26 AM.