C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Questions about tint that haven't been answered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
03 W203, 13 E350, 13 W204, 14 C218
Questions about tint that haven't been answered

1.) When you get your car tinted people say that the tint blocks the signal and your remote no longer works right? Well why doesn't it work say if you are in the car or you have the door/window open aiming it into the car. Maybe this has to do with the metallic tint that I read about just being pure interference rather than tint just blocking the signal.

2.) If you decide to remove the tint and it still doesn't work is there any documentation proving that the tint people destroyed it with water solution dripping onto the electronics.

3.) Why does the remote work when you pick up your car after being tinted but doesn't work the next day?

The reason I am asking these questions is because I searched and found answers to what people say causes the remote not to work after tinting but I am now asking questions that have not been answered or asked.

Long story short I took my w203 to KB Window Tint in Chino California and I noticed the day after mine stopped working. (it worked fine when i picked up the car). But since my car is a 2003 I thought nothing of tint and figured it was because the car was old and needed to be replaced.

BUTTTT! my brother just got a brand new 2010 E-class and got it tinted at the exact same price and the exact same thing happened! It worked fine as usual when I picked up the car but this morning it stopped working and we had to aim it at the IR sensor by the handle.

I am trying to figure out how we are going to get the tint place to fix it or pay to fix it. Because this car is brand spanking new!

Oh and BTW i have the receipt and I didn't even sign the paper saying that I acknowledge their little disclaimers so they are pretty much screwed even though there disclaimer doesn't say they are not responsible for damaging anything in the process either.

Last edited by paypaboi; 07-25-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:18 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
never ever use metallic tint.

also is the front windshield tinted?

Last edited by FrankW; 07-25-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by FrankW
never ever use metallic tint.

also is the front windshield tinted?
They informed me that it was non-metallic tint. and no the front windshield is not tinted. why do you ask? Also....I went down there today and pretty much he refused to give a refund or pay for the damage. Unfortunately he has messed with the wrong people though since my brother deals with company insurance as far as claims and all that goes so he is about to make this company go through hell and back. It would be somewhat excusable if it happened to just my car but he messed up my bros new car too..
Old 07-25-2009, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230, 2006 BMW M3, bye bye C55:(
The tint has to be metallic. That only really happens with metallic tint. If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the job? Also, isn't there any warranty (one year) or a manufacturers warranty that would cover the tint? I had mine tinted at Mercedes of Ft Lauderdale and it came with a manufacturers warranty that replaced my scratched up tints after basically two weeks. I would read over the paperwork that was given to you and see what the policies are. I find it a bit hard to believe that a company does not offer one.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by carbonfiberwhor
The tint has to be metallic. That only really happens with metallic tint. If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the job? Also, isn't there any warranty (one year) or a manufacturers warranty that would cover the tint? I had mine tinted at Mercedes of Ft Lauderdale and it came with a manufacturers warranty that replaced my scratched up tints after basically two weeks. I would read over the paperwork that was given to you and see what the policies are. I find it a bit hard to believe that a company does not offer one.
I asked him if it was metallic and he said no. It was $170.00 flat. Thing is the tint wasn't done at mercedes so I don't know if it is under warranty now. What do you guys think?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moped
yo! i get the same side effect. although sometimes the remote works sometimes not. most of the time i have to really get close to the garage door for the remote to respond. also i have a radar detector and the tint affected the alerts ALLOT! its the price we pay for nice things, i guess..

EDIT: BTW i have solar guard ceramic tint..
Old 07-26-2009, 03:13 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
what brand is the tint they used?

lol...i only paid $140 each to tint my 204 and parents friend's S550. the film used was from Solar Guard. with limited life time warranty.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
This is all news to me. Metallic Tint effecting your remote. I thought the signal was on the door handle. Pretty weir, good luck man.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SLK 55 AMG
3M non-metallized.

Sometimes nothing works, even a foot away.
Then I take out the battery from the fob, swivel it around, and it works.

But I suggest you ask them to take it off, and see if it really is the problem.
The amount of liquid they use shouldn't be like a down pour that it shorts any electronics..
Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SL450
It just happened to me :S I wish I read the post before I do stuff.....

Now The shop said I can get another tint for the back window which is damn expensive $85 just for the back and its not going to look the same.

I really dont know what to do.....
sucks
the remote works whenever he wants to
Old 02-03-2010, 01:54 AM

C240
Originally Posted by Andonixxx
It just happened to me :S I wish I read the post before I do stuff.....

Now The shop said I can get another tint for the back window which is damn expensive $85 just for the back and its not going to look the same.

I really dont know what to do.....
sucks
the remote works whenever he wants to
that sucks, i used llumar for my car and not a single problem
Old 02-03-2010, 01:58 AM

mb
Never been answered questions? hahah...But there are many times I've encountered those kind of questions...lol
Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
xxx
Originally Posted by paypaboi
1.) When you get your car tinted people say that the tint blocks the signal and your remote no longer works right? Well why doesn't it work say if you are in the car or you have the door/window open aiming it into the car. Maybe this has to do with the metallic tint that I read about just being pure interference rather than tint just blocking the signal.

The antenna is in the rear screen, so being in the car makes no difference. The tint still messes up the signal. All that should work is the door IR receiver.

2.) If you decide to remove the tint and it still doesn't work is there any documentation proving that the tint people destroyed it with water solution dripping onto the electronics.

If you remove the tint & things still don't work they have either cut the wires, disturbed the sticky connector center top of rear screen or fried the antenna amp with water

3.) Why does the remote work when you pick up your car after being tinted but doesn't work the next day?

This usually means water only damage - fried amp. Water settles into the electronics. If it works after tint then wires were not cut & sticky connector s/b OK.

The reason I am asking these questions is because I searched and found answers to what people say causes the remote not to work after tinting but I am now asking questions that have not been answered or asked.

Long story short I took my w203 to KB Window Tint in Chino California and I noticed the day after mine stopped working. (it worked fine when i picked up the car). But since my car is a 2003 I thought nothing of tint and figured it was because the car was old and needed to be replaced.

BUTTTT! my brother just got a brand new 2010 E-class and got it tinted at the exact same price and the exact same thing happened! It worked fine as usual when I picked up the car but this morning it stopped working and we had to aim it at the IR sensor by the handle.

I am trying to figure out how we are going to get the tint place to fix it or pay to fix it. Because this car is brand spanking new!

Oh and BTW i have the receipt and I didn't even sign the paper saying that I acknowledge their little disclaimers so they are pretty much screwed even though there disclaimer doesn't say they are not responsible for damaging anything in the process either.