C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Alarm & Block Heater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Alarm & Block Heater

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions about my 2002 C230K Auto.

The manual says that all cars come equipped with a security system that flashes the lights and sounds an audible alarm when someone tries to open the driver door with the manual key after it has been centrally locked. Ive tried this, but nothing happens. The driver door unlocks as expected and I can open the door and get in. No lights and no sound. What gives? The red flashing light in the center console does come on as its supposed to after I centrally lock the door. Anyone have any experience with this security system? How does it work?

My second question is about the block heater. I plan to use my C230 as my all year car (its the only car Ive got). So come winter, is it a good idea to have the block heater installed? Anyone run these cars through winter? What has your experience been like? The manual says that all cars come with the block heater installed, and the power cable can be installed by the stealership. Has anyone gotten this done and how much did it cost?

Thanks for the info ya'll.

Cheers.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
why not just get remote start installed and just start the car a few mins before your about to use it.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Alarm battery is likely shot. Mounted with horn in RHS fender. I have Canadian friend with block heater fitted - works well. option code 165

Block heater

Old 07-26-2009, 07:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Originally Posted by jcnash
The manual says that all cars come equipped with a security system that flashes the lights and sounds an audible alarm when someone tries to open the driver door with the manual key after it has been centrally locked. Ive tried this, but nothing happens. The driver door unlocks as expected and I can open the door and get in. No lights and no sound. What gives? The red flashing light in the center console does come on as its supposed to after I centrally lock the door. Anyone have any experience with this security system? How does it work?
Exactly where is that flashing red light on the centre console,... is it on the tow-truck button on the row of buttons next to the emergency flasher or is it on the radio itself?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

S/B both
Old 07-27-2009, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
why not just get remote start installed and just start the car a few mins before your about to use it.
Im worried about the engine not turning over in the morning, after being out in the open in -30C weather overnight.

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Alarm battery is likely shot. Mounted with horn in RHS fender. I have Canadian friend with block heater fitted - works well. option code 165

Block heater

Thanks Glyn.

So the alarm has a separate battery eh? How do I get to this battery? Any posts on here you can refer me to? Also what type of battery is it (so I can have the replacement ready before opening it up)?

I might get that block heater cable installed...depending on the price. Damn Canadian winters can kill any car, no matter how well its built.

Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto
Exactly where is that flashing red light on the centre console,... is it on the tow-truck button on the row of buttons next to the emergency flasher or is it on the radio itself?
The red light is on the radio, on the lower row of buttons. It looks like a button, but it has a tiny translucent circle in the middle where the light flashes.

S/B both
S/B? Sorry...noob here...lol. Youre going to ave to explain that one.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:39 PM

Dude,.... you are going to have a really fun time trouble shooting a car security alarm system,.... that you do NOT even have on your car!

That's why I asked if you have red flashing light on tow truck button on rows of button next to emergency flasher button. If you did then your car came with security system otherwise it did not.

The c230 coupe (cl203) in Canada did NOT come with security system as standard. The securtiy system was standard on US c230 coupe. I have no idea why Mercedes Benz would put a little red light for a security feature on a stock radio that nobody wants but leave the car unprotected without a security alarm.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dude,.... you are going to have a really fun time trouble shooting a car security alarm system,.... that you do NOT even have on your car!

That's why I asked if you have red flashing light on tow truck button on rows of button next to emergency flasher button. If you did then your car came with security system otherwise it did not.

The c230 coupe (cl203) in Canada did NOT come with security system as standard. The securtiy system was standard on US c230 coupe. I have no idea why Mercedes Benz would put a little red light for a security feature on a stock radio that nobody wants but leave the car unprotected without a security alarm.
LOL...Thanks man. You know I always had a nagging suspicion that my car didnt have a security system, but yeh youre right, that absolutely blows my mind.

What car is manufactured nowadays without an alarm??!!

Did you have an aftermarket security system installed on yours? If so which one?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:14 AM

I still haven't found an aftermarket car security system I would be happy with.

The car already come with all engine immobilizer so unless you have the key the car will not start. All I am looking for is a basic security system made by a quality company that would protect the content and go off if someone open doors, break window, jack or tow the car and maybe motion sensor. Any suggestions?

Already have wheel locks to protect wheels. But how do you protect spoilers and stuff like that?

Since the car remote already has power lock and power window, I do not need those feature on the car security system. The problem is most security system has a whole bunch of extra features that I really do not want and I really hate the thought of someone slicing all those wires on my car (many years ago I installed a fancy car alarm with lots of options on one of my previous car and it was a pain,... basically, the more options an aftermarket component has then the more things that can and will malfunction later on!).
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

S/B = should be - Sunny has answered your question. No RHS fender shroud to remove - no alarm - sorry.

Effective aftermarket alarm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc
Old 07-28-2009, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I still haven't found an aftermarket car security system I would be happy with.

The car already come with all engine immobilizer so unless you have the key the car will not start. All I am looking for is a basic security system made by a quality company that would protect the content and go off if someone open doors, break window, jack or tow the car and maybe motion sensor. Any suggestions?

Already have wheel locks to protect wheels. But how do you protect spoilers and stuff like that?

Since the car remote already has power lock and power window, I do not need those feature on the car security system. The problem is most security system has a whole bunch of extra features that I really do not want and I really hate the thought of someone slicing all those wires on my car (many years ago I installed a fancy car alarm with lots of options on one of my previous car and it was a pain,... basically, the more options an aftermarket component has then the more things that can and will malfunction later on!).
Fair enough! Still amazes me to think that a MB was available in 2002 without an intrusion alarm! WOW. Guess I lied to my insurance company about my car having an audible alarm system, because I assumed that like all other cars 1995 or newer, mine would have some sort of audible alarm..LOL.

Im going to start looking around for a good no-frills intrusion detection system, and ill let you know if I find anything interesting.

Thanks Sunny.

PS: Im in TO quite often. We should plan an MB meet.

S/B = should be - Sunny has answered your question. No RHS fender shroud to remove - no alarm - sorry.

Effective aftermarket alarm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJHAW8kb5vA

LMAO!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 PM

The challenge would be to get Glyn up to Toronto for a MB meet. Boy, I would love to pick Glyn's brain. Glyn is a walking Mercedes W203 encyclopedia! Plus, I hear Glyn and his South African car security system with the flame thrower are really great at BBQs!

You might want to try MBfanatics.org (mainly Canadian Mercedes Benz fan) for MB meets in GTA area.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

I would love to come but this years holiday like last year's is to the warmer climes of Thailand.

Flame thrower got banned - rightfully so.