C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Suspension too soft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' ML350
Suspension too soft

Hello.

My dad is complaining that our C240s suspension ("Elegance"-Standard Susp) is too soft, the car according to him "rocks from side2side, with too much up n down motions" w/c make him dizzy, and it "leans" also during cornering......things w/c our Lexus IS, n Accord doesnt do.... Now my problem is... How do i stiffen the suspension??? Will installing 17 or 18 rims solve the problem? or do i have to install AMG Struts n Springs? If anyone of u have ridden an Accord or an IS, its d kind of ride my dad wants--only a "single" motion when passing over bumps. When i got d car i opted for d elegance variant instead of d avantgarde/sport variant thinking it would b more comfy for dad, as my A160 Avantgarde was too bumpy.....eheheheh...i was wrong...
Old 01-25-2002, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240 6spd
BruNo...

I added 17" wheels to my C240(non-sports package). It makes a little difference, but still has some body roll...I did ask the same question in the Technical Forum....you can do several things....1. modify suspension to lower car (springs/shocks)....but if you want to keep the same ride height (as I do)...2. you can change to firmer shocks and sway bars. Seems there are different things to change to fit your ideal ride quality.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
I think that you need to install springs to reduce the body roll. I recommend Eibach since it will only stiffen up the suspension without making the car too low. I personally like to be hugging the floor so I can corner as hard as I want. I bought my car with sports package but I changed my springs to H&R for the lowest ride and upgraded to 18"rims and now i have no body roll. Remeber thou if you upgrade your rims you will get more road noise and feel. I dont know if your father will appreciate that. May I suggest 16" rims like the ones offered by the sports package. That might give you a less harsh ride then 17".
Old 01-25-2002, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
Oh by the way the place you find your springs is either tire rack or www.shox.com. They seem to be very cheap and will ship anywhere.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Re: Suspension too soft

Originally posted by BruNo
Hello.

My dad is complaining that our C240s suspension ("Elegance"-Standard Susp) is too soft, the car according to him "rocks from side2side, with too much up n down motions" w/c make him dizzy, and it "leans" also during cornering......things w/c our Lexus IS, n Accord doesnt do.... Now my problem is... How do i stiffen the suspension??? Will installing 17 or 18 rims solve the problem? or do i have to install AMG Struts n Springs? If anyone of u have ridden an Accord or an IS, its d kind of ride my dad wants--only a "single" motion when passing over bumps. When i got d car i opted for d elegance variant instead of d avantgarde/sport variant thinking it would b more comfy for dad, as my A160 Avantgarde was too bumpy.....eheheheh...i was wrong...
BruNo:
There are many different suspension options that your dad can change in the car. Most will increase performance, but many of them can destroy the ride comfort.
Email me when you get a chance, I'll help you find what fits your needs.
ben@evosport.com

Last edited by Mach430; 01-25-2002 at 12:03 PM.