C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

230K Sedan Handling in Snow and Rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking about not even screwing around and throwing some Turanza LS-Zs on from day one.

Anyone use this tire? Not the meanest looking, but sound like a great all around choice. Or maybe some Portenza RE730s...

In case I move to snow country, I'll get a separate 16" winter set-up.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
I have Pirelli P-Zeroes and mine is fine in light snow, anything more than an inch and she may have problems. I will find out tomorrow. Anyhow I grew up in Northern NY so snow is not new to me nor is driving a RWD in it. We used to get on average 120 inches of snow in a winter. Now of course this is after many thaws and re-freezes and more snow and rain but it snows a lot and I have seen even FWD's get stuck. For a RWD with performance tires on it my car handles just fine. When the tires need replacement I will put on Sumitomo's that are High-Performance All Seasons and they should be fine, better snow traction rating than the P-Zeroes. Then again in a lot of snow my wife stays home and I drive her Saturn, I get the Benz on bad days she goes to work. In the summer I may never see my car again.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:50 PM

C230 Kompressor SPORTS COUPE
I go to school up in NH, during the winters I put on Yokohama Snow tires (I forget the model) but it drives great, I have been through a few blizzards and the like where I should have gotten off the road do to low visiablity, but never had a handling problem... The only issue for the car is getting it started in the snow and very low speed driving, once you are above 10 or 15 it is fine... This has caused two instances in my driving experience that I had wished I had gotten an audi, one was when I stopped at a light during a major snow storm and I almost had to get out and push my car to get it going again, but it eventual caught grip on its own and once when I got stuck behind a salter ding 5mph up a steep hill, about half way up my car almost quite on the hill loosing traction constantly, but it eventually made it up there.