C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Where to take 02 C230 in Portland OR region?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red C230K Sportcoupe
Where to take 02 C230 in Portland OR region?

Hey guys,

(Apologies, I've double posted this very message on a different forum, because I want to get as many perspectives as possible. <3!)

Does anyone here have a good recommendation for trusty and smart mechanic who can work on my C230 coupe?

Her Service A light just came on about 100 miles ago, and I want to make sure she's serviced, all her fluids are topped up, and she's in tip top shape. And I don't want to talk to an idiot. I'm on an idiot fast, where I take no **** from idiots, whatsoever. This approach has really helped me out.

Back to the car.

Her "Check Engine" light is on, and she has a jittery idle. I don't know how to explain it without actually grabbing your head and showing you, but even after doing that, the complete wasteoids over at the local Benz dealer just took my money and pretended to work on the issue. (a few grand later, the issue wasn't solved, btw...)

I took her over to Rasmussen in Portland to investigate the idle issue, and to get her in tip top condition back in the winter, but the service advisor ended up being a con man, and he tried to bill me for services they didn't perform, and deep messups that they caused. Whenever I asked why the check engine light was still on, he'd always divert my attention and say ,"And we changed your windshield wipers, too! Isn't that great?" No, dude, it isn't!

I'm wondering if there are any decent indie shops in the city (or in this entire metro region - I'm not averse to taking her up to Seattle or Vancouver to get the right guy to work on her.).

Who do you guys like up here? Who is trustable?
Old 08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by kompressorette
Hey guys,

(Apologies, I've double posted this very message on a different forum, because I want to get as many perspectives as possible. <3!)

Does anyone here have a good recommendation for trusty and smart mechanic who can work on my C230 coupe?

Her Service A light just came on about 100 miles ago, and I want to make sure she's serviced, all her fluids are topped up, and she's in tip top shape. And I don't want to talk to an idiot. I'm on an idiot fast, where I take no **** from idiots, whatsoever. This approach has really helped me out.

Back to the car.

Her "Check Engine" light is on, and she has a jittery idle. I don't know how to explain it without actually grabbing your head and showing you, but even after doing that, the complete wasteoids over at the local Benz dealer just took my money and pretended to work on the issue. (a few grand later, the issue wasn't solved, btw...)

I took her over to Rasmussen in Portland to investigate the idle issue, and to get her in tip top condition back in the winter, but the service advisor ended up being a con man, and he tried to bill me for services they didn't perform, and deep messups that they caused. Whenever I asked why the check engine light was still on, he'd always divert my attention and say ,"And we changed your windshield wipers, too! Isn't that great?" No, dude, it isn't!

I'm wondering if there are any decent indie shops in the city (or in this entire metro region - I'm not averse to taking her up to Seattle or Vancouver to get the right guy to work on her.).

Who do you guys like up here? Who is trustable?
Well, I can tell you Rasmussen in Wilsonville, is in fact WORSE than Rasmussen in Portland, so that is out.

Sorry, I have no recommendation for an good indie the area, as I work on my own cars. But, I do have a suggestion. Head on over to Harbor Freight Tools, and pick up one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98568 Post the code here and we can help you diagnose, so you can do the work yourself, or at the very least, you have cheaply narrowed down the issue and can make sure you are not paying for work that has nothing to do with the problem.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML350
Hartmann Motors in SW Portland/Tigard are great. They know what they are doing and won't jerk you around. I also know of a great one-man shop in SE Portland. Rife Motors. Scott Rife. Good tech and also is a straight shooter. PM me if you want specifics.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320
The only place I will and have taken my cars for the last 12 years is Pereda Motors. I've owned three Mercedes and Adrian (the owner) is the absolute best. He's saved me thousands of dollars over the years. As an example, he diagnosed and corrected my seat controller issue (a common problem for the W203) and rewired rather than replaced them, thus avoiding having to replace the controllers again if and when they failed again later. Phone number of the shop is 503-238-0766.

Here is website link.

http://www.peredamotors.com/

If you have any specific questions, PM me. I stand by Adrian 100% and can share other stories about how he's helped me and other friends.