C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

y do people buy c-classes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jaguar Type-X, the British are OK. There are plenty of fine American automobiles, they are just underated because of the snob appeal of owning a european car. As for Japan, they've grown fat and lazy from their success. I don't think many cars are made in Japan anymore. There's no reason to support the French and German during their time of arrogance towards the U.S.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Jens C320

I bought my C320 Touring because I needed a station wagon with all-wheel drive. I didn't like the look of the Volvo V70, test drove the Audi A4 Avant 3.0 and it had too harsh of a ride (I put almost 3000 miles a month on the car, so I like smoothness). I would have bough a E-Class 4-Matic station wagon (more room and even more luxery) because I loved the E500 I drove in Germany shorty before I moved to Colorado, but I didn't like the fact that the current Station Wagon will be replaced by the new E-Class one soon. I also drove a Audi A6/Allroad with the 2.7L Turbo. I didn't like the engine, it was extremely peaky, no power and bamm the turbo kicked in, not somthing I would want as a luxo car. The A6 3.0 Station Wagon felt very vague, the steering and even worse the brakes felt disconnected from the car. So, to make a long story short, I got the C320 because it offered the best driving feel while retaining a very comfertable ride and nice little toys (like power headrests ).
Old 02-26-2003, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
First off, who cares what anybody thinks about the 3-pointed star? Are they paying for the car? I don't think so. Although I don't drive a C-class (I have another model Benz) my sister does and I asked her why. Looks, comfort, overall driving experience can't be beat. She test drove the IS300, 325/330, Volvo, & A4. Also, she had a 98 C230 sedan. # of times in dealer over 4 years = 4. Only problem she had was a dead battery. She's had the c for about a year, not one problem.

Oh, hey Buellwinkle my brother drives an x-type, Jag has offered to give him a new car or forgive the rest of his lease and simply let him walk away. The car is a total piece of junk, and don't get me started with all the American trash my family used to own.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Next car is the 2005 Mustang GT Convertible. Had 5 Mustangs and not a bad one in the pack.
Does this mean we have to put up with your milk and cookies stories until 2005 before you...?

Let's all take up a collection and build a Ford dealership 1/2 mile from your house. You'll have to bring your own cookies though. I've owned several Fords. They don't do carwashes and cookies...
Old 02-26-2003, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bob, my Ford dealer will do free car washes when you want them, they are 7 miles away, not as convenient and their car washes don't include vacuming or any of the full service features I get, and of course the cookies. Besides I never mentioned the cookies on this post until 2-3 other people did. Besides, I've been on a low carb diet for years, the cookies are nice gesture I don't partake in.

And YES, you will have to hear it until '05 everytime someone asks the question, why did you buy a C-Class or a coupe? It's my answer and I'm sticking to it! Will Ford step up to the plate and provide free cookies in '05? Who knows, but I get about the same level of customer service from the Ford dealer as I get from MB and that's both excellent. The loaners I wouldn't get from Ford but it's not as much an issue since it doesn't break down as much. The 4 years free maintenance is nice as Ford charges a fortune for maintenance, $600 for 30K service.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:36 PM

11' E-350 BlueTec
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Does this mean we have to put up with your milk and cookies stories until 2005 before you...?

Let's all take up a collection and build a Ford dealership 1/2 mile from your house. You'll have to bring your own cookies though. I've owned several Fords. They don't do carwashes and cookies...
If you build the dealership I'll pay for the cookies !!!

Just one thing: I read 2 postings in a row from Buell and he is putting war and cars on the same bag. Don't you think war is a very sensitive subject to be discussed and compared to cars?

Just my $0.000000002
Old 02-26-2003, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Me thinks some of you folks is crazy... or have just plain **** luck.

Anyway, with this C I have only had minor problems. The ESP/BAS light came on everytime I drove for about 15,000. FIXED. Driver's side winsheild wiper was for hell for 20,000 miles. FIXED. Rattle's from sunroof. FIXED. Rattle's from suspension for last 10K miles. FIXED Strange clicking when reversing with wheel turned. FIXED

Yes, these problems persisted for that long because the dealerships I had been taking the car to were a joke.

Prestige Mercedes Benz Rt. 17 South is awesome. I asked them not to call me until the car was fixed. Two days. I went of the list and they informed they also checked my Cam degree and purge valve, etc., etc., etc., and replaced this this and that because....

Two other five star dealers had my car too many times for too long and accomplished nothing. I just think they were over booked and my LOW HANGING FRUIT C230K wasn't a priority.

So for me, it has always been dealership BS, not a long-term issue with the car.

And what I meant about distinguishing between Audi, Volvo, and Benz, was that most people think you are a snob for owning any of the three.

And yes, a lot of people think my C230K is a highend MB "sport" or "race" model. I think most people think that the kompressor badge is the AMG badge. Fricken DOPES
Old 02-26-2003, 06:09 PM

Employee Discount
Safety
Supercharged I4 with 6-speed

If we owned Audi I would drive an A4. If we owned BMW I would drive a 325 coupe.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:37 AM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Jaguar Type-X, the British are OK. There are plenty of fine American automobiles, they are just underated because of the snob appeal of owning a european car. As for Japan, they've grown fat and lazy from their success. I don't think many cars are made in Japan anymore. There's no reason to support the French and German during their time of arrogance towards the U.S.
Of cousre, your right again....I'll quit work tomorrow!
Old 02-27-2003, 02:38 AM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
Yup thats me.

Now as for the free cookies thing, I have no problem with that. Although free cookies isn't enough to make me buy a particular brand car. On the other hand, when the Ford dealer starts having the off-topic girls offering blow-jobs, I'll line up to buy a new Focus
There are NO free cookies! :p
Old 02-27-2003, 07:16 AM
moomeh

i think this thread needs a "hello and welcome to last week" pic. i think we sort of talked about this like a billion times.

the dealer was offering 0% financing on all 2002 models ONLY on his lot. the vehicles were C240, C230, S430, S500, and ML320. i decided on c240 since it had four doors, smaller than S, and less expensive than the S. if the bmw dealership had the same deal, i would have gotten the 330i. why? more performance. however, if the benz dealership did have a c320 or even c32, i would not think about the 330i at all. to me, both the benz and bmw are luxurious (but with bmw you need to order the correct package to get it, sort of with benz too but not on all models.) so the only difference to me is the performance.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:29 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by moomeh
to me, both the benz and bmw are luxurious (but with bmw you need to order the correct package to get it, sort of with benz too but not on all models.) so the only difference to me is the performance.
I think you make a good observation, moomeh. To get luxury in the BMW, you have to load up a couple option packages, while to get equivalent cornering performance in the Benz, you need to order some extra bits from the dealer or aftermarket. (The c32 sway bars are not horribly expensive for those who hate the body lean that much.)

The focus of each car is different, that's all, and not anything that can't be overcome with some money and effort.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by DCXdynodog
Of cousre, your right again....I'll quit work tomorrow!
Thanks!
Old 02-27-2003, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Personally my wife and I both feel the C class was the one we liked looks wise. Now my wife wants a G-500 so I guess I will have to start saving for it, but that is a whole diferent story. I told her 5 years so she will have it as I almost always accomplish my goals. The C230 was to be ordered by the end of 2002 and we got it in January. So I missed my goal by 15 days, not to bad and it was the fault of my old employer for not getting my stock check to me in a timely manner.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:47 PM

02 C320, Brilliant Silver
I guess because I can't afford a Ferrari or Aston Martin =)
Old 02-27-2003, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by HigHal320
I guess because I can't afford a Ferrari or Aston Martin =)
Sorry to hear that. Keep striving for your dream car, it'll come to you some day.