C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Oil Message Really in Need of Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by Karo
Another update, they didn't see anything that the engine was consuming oil. But "they did see a loose cam sensor" which shouldn't be the reason for that much oil loss but they will keep an eye on that.

He said it will be ready tomorrow so i'll drive it and if I feel anything I'll take it in again.
I'll keep on mentioning the oil consumption. Especially now that I know e1000 only uses half a qt rather than 3 qts.
Seriously my car barely burns oil. In the first 10K or so, I had a decent ammount of soot around my exhaust but I don't even get that any more. Are you going to put your lip on this weekend?
Old 09-24-2009, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by e1000
Seriously my car barely burns oil. In the first 10K or so, I had a decent ammount of soot around my exhaust but I don't even get that any more. Are you going to put your lip on this weekend?
Most likely, if you need to change your brakes just come on by.

------------------------------------------------------------
Question:
Why do you guys think I am burning soo much oil? Is there a test that I can request to see why? I know i'm not leaking any oil so why am I burning soo much oil?

I am stuck don't know what to do now about the Engine Oil Consumption.
Does this message get logged in? Can I tell them to go check the logs and see that I got the message?

Sorry if I sound demanding just nervious because warranty ends in November and by the time I get another Message i'm affraid my warranty will be over.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Most likely, if you need to change your brakes just come on by.

------------------------------------------------------------
Question:
Why do you guys think I am burning soo much oil? Is there a test that I can request to see why? I know i'm not leaking any oil so why am I burning soo much oil?

I am stuck don't know what to do now about the Engine Oil Consumption.
Does this message get logged in? Can I tell them to go check the logs and see that I got the message?

Sorry if I sound demanding just nervious because warranty ends in November and by the time I get another Message i'm affraid my warranty will be over.
when you get your bill tomorrow make sure it says something about excess oil usage. if it does you should be covered outside of warranty. do you have another dealer close by. if you do i would make an appointment with them to check out the problem. some dealers just don't want to be bothered with checking problems out.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Car
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I presume your car does not have a Valeo radiator & that they will check the used fluid for glycol?

OK - if no coolant leaks let's see what the fluid flush does. Then have a software reflash. I think the heavy braking issue you are seeing is normal but aggravated by poor shift down quality due to old fluid and/or lash in the propshaft. Fluid must be changed every 60,000Km or 38,000 miles like ROW.

Slightly prominent shifting under low load is usually fluid related & will be amplified by any play in the propshaft.

The hard jerk when selecting Drive is not right & I don't think will be cured by an oil change. It might be cured by a reflash if the TC clutches are binding. Otherwise it cause is likely a valve body problem or 1st to 2nd one way clutch damage. This usually only occurs with VERY high mile cars in taxi service & cars that have not seen regular tranny oil changes.
Thats one of the many reasons why i wanted to change out the ATF, cause of the glycol contamination. I dont know yet if i have any in my transmission and am not going to be the one waiting to know.

Like i said, there could be a number solutions to this but my best bet right now is a flush. John's all ATF related thread mentioned how all his shifting problems went away after the flush, and i strongly believe so as well. On normal braking my car will stay on 2nd and wil only shift into 1st when i let off the brake and hit the gas going maybe 5mph, as mentioned by your experience with your w204, so im pretty sure my TCU is updated and not likely a software issue.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by samaritrey
when you get your bill tomorrow make sure it says something about excess oil usage. if it does you should be covered outside of warranty. do you have another dealer close by. if you do i would make an appointment with them to check out the problem. some dealers just don't want to be bothered with checking problems out.
You are correct.

Make sure you get them to document this stuff, Karo. That way you'll be covered even after the warranty period is over. I know from experience.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
You are correct.

Make sure you get them to document this stuff, Karo. That way you'll be covered even after the warranty period is over. I know from experience.
Originally Posted by samaritrey
Thanks for the info will do. I was looking through the pics again and I mean it really looks like there had been oil leaking. I mean is it possible there isn't oil on the oil pan because of the heat and the speed? So I dripped to the cover?

I somehow really feel I might have a leak. A buddy of mine mentioned an "oil cooler line"

He had a Civic where he had a leak like that.

Eighter way I will get it documented.

What should I say if it's not on there? "Can you guys document my complain about eighter an oil leak or oil burning because I added 3 quarts within 4,600 miles and I did this when the oil low light came on"

Last edited by W203E35; 09-25-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
It does look like a leak, but you don't really know for sure what could've happened with the previous owner. Just make sure it is put on the paperwork that you have complained about a possible oil leak and/or excessive consumption. MAKE them do this. I made a dealer do it for my car and ended up getting it repaired after warranty expired.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
It does look like a leak, but you don't really know for sure what could've happened with the previous owner. Just make sure it is put on the paperwork that you have complained about a possible oil leak and/or excessive consumption. MAKE them do this. I made a dealer do it for my car and ended up getting it repaired after warranty expired.
I'll definitely do this, THANKS

Just out of curiosity since you seem to be more knowledgeable about cars and since you had a leak as well, if I do have a leak why does it look like this and not dripping wet? Also I remember when I bought the car when I brought it home I looked under the car and I didn't recall any oil spots.

So this oil stain has happened during the time of my ownership. But I can't say 100% it has happened due to a leak because maybe when I changed my oil since I sucked the oil out a little has dripped down there? Or when I poured oil a little got onto the engine and went down there? But this is highly unlikely because it seems like a decent amount (even though it's not dripping wet)

Aren't there pressure tests that can tell if I have a leak? My friend was saying that they put this chemical kind of thing in the oil and they drive the car. Then after a little while they hook up a black light and the spot where there is a leak glows.

I'll just have them document it and jack it up better and really get under there and see if I see anything.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Karo,
Don't take any crap from these guys - that oil stain is nothing & it's not even wet. Make them do a leakdown test on the engine. Then it put's your mind at rest that you don't have a major problem. You have to know whether oil is getting past the rings because if it is this is a BIG warranty claim & they must pay.

Good news about the valve body. It's going to be just like the 204 you are driving.

I think they might be messing with you because they think you are young. Take a belligerent, crusty old fart along with you to the dealer & introduce him as your father. Let him tell them he wants his son's car sorted out NOW! Obviously only do this if they try & fob you off. They are doing the valve body so maybe they will be good about the engine.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 09-25-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Karo,
Don't take any crap from these guys - that oil stain is nothing & it's not even wet. Make them do a leakdown test on the engine. Then it put's your mind at rest that you don't have a major problem. You have to know whether oil is getting past the rings because if it is this is a BIG warranty claim & they must pay.
"Leakdown Test" Thanks Glyn...You don't know how much I appreciate your help (this includes everyone as well). I bet they probably aren't going to even put the "Oil Consumption" in the bill. They know my warranty is up in a month and they just want to shut me up with the Transmission fix.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by holycaoAMG
Thats one of the many reasons why i wanted to change out the ATF, cause of the glycol contamination. I dont know yet if i have any in my transmission and am not going to be the one waiting to know.

Like i said, there could be a number solutions to this but my best bet right now is a flush. John's all ATF related thread mentioned how all his shifting problems went away after the flush, and i strongly believe so as well. On normal braking my car will stay on 2nd and wil only shift into 1st when i let off the brake and hit the gas going maybe 5mph, as mentioned by your experience with your w204, so im pretty sure my TCU is updated and not likely a software issue.
Holy - If you have a Valeo radiator change it for a Behr BEFORE you go to the expense of a tranny flush.

Do not confuse software on the 722.6 with the 722.9. They are very different transmissions. If you still have problems after the fluid change the reflash the software. Dealers in this country do it free so you have nothing to loose.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Leak Down Test

A leak down test is more specific in pinpointing the condition of an engine and if there are problems, it can pinpoint the needed area of attention. A leak down test is performed with a special gauge and manifold set. It consists of a calibrated pressure gauge and a pressure regulator and adapters to connect it to the spark plug hole. Compressed air (or nitrogen) is fed into the gauge and the gauge is calibrated against a zero reference (no air leakage). The adapter is then screwed into the number one spark plug hole (with cylinder #1 at TDC compression) and the gauge is attached. As soon as the gauge is attached to the adapter air will begin to fill the cylinder. As this happens, the gauge will begin to indicate the amount of air flowing into the cylinder.

Illustration by Adastra Design

If air is leaking past the rings, or the valves, or the head gasket, we can directly read the amount of leakage and can easily find the leak. If there is air blowing out the PCV, we have a ring leak, if it's coming out of the exhaust, we have an exhaust valve leak, and so on...
Attached Thumbnails Oil Message Really in Need of Help-leakdown.jpg  

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 09-25-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
I found this.

May 07, 2009
S-B-01.30/23a

All Passenger and Light Truck Models Equipped with Engine M272 / 273
Oil Seepage from Back of Cylinder Head

Feb 11, 2009
S-B-54.21/215

All Models Equipped with Engine M272 and M273
Engine Cannot Be Started When Engine is Hot but Will Start After Engine has Cooled

Nov 21, 2008

All Model 164, 171, 203, 209, 211 and 251 Equipped with M272 Engine
Update Rear SAM Software

Nov 06, 2008
S-B-07.00/84a

All Models, Equipped with Engine M156, M272 and M273
Software Flash Requirements for ME 9.7 Control Units

Oct 27, 2008
S-B-13.22/01e

Equipped with Engine M272 Up to Engine Number 272xxx 30 476520
Equipped with Engine M273 Up to Engine Number 273xxx 30 085890
Noise Coming From Front of Engine

Oct 24, 2008
S-B-18.00/37d

All Passenger and Light Truck Models Equipped with M156, M272, M273 or OM642 Engines
Low Oil Level Symptoms

Feb 13, 2007
T-B-30.16/64a

Revision: Testing of Throttle Valve Sensor, M113 ME2.8, M272/273 engines

Last edited by W203E35; 09-25-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Hmm! - I'm afraid I dont think you are leaking quarts of oil. Things would be real wet - I'm not trying to alarm you - just stating fact. With your warranty running out now is the time to sort things out.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Leak Down Test

A leak down test is more specific in pinpointing the condition of an engine and if there are problems, it can pinpoint the needed area of attention. A leak down test is performed with a special gauge and manifold set. It consists of a calibrated pressure gauge and a pressure regulator and adapters to connect it to the spark plug hole. Compressed air (or nitrogen) is fed into the gauge and the gauge is calibrated against a zero reference (no air leakage). The adapter is then screwed into the number one spark plug hole (with cylinder #1 at TDC compression) and the gauge is attached. As soon as the gauge is attached to the adapter air will begin to fill the cylinder. As this happens, the gauge will begin to indicate the amount of air flowing into the cylinder.

Illustration by Adastra Design

If air is leaking past the rings, or the valves, or the head gasket, we can directly read the amount of leakage and can easily find the leak. If there is air blowing out the PCV, we have a ring leak, if it's coming out of the exhaust, we have an exhaust valve leak, and so on...
Great info Learning something new everyday.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Hmm! - I'm afraid I dont think you are leaking quarts of oil. Things would be real wet - I'm not trying to alarm you - just stating fact. With your warranty running out now is the time to sort things out.
Ya, I don't think so eighter. But seems like there has been an issue of oil leaking in the M272 I guess.

I am 100% with you I think I am burning oil. Maybe that oil got there when I took it in the first time for the tranny or might be from something else.

Leakdown test and we will see what happens. You saved me a lot of headache Glyn. When they call me tomorrow I'm going to ask them if they found a leak and when they say no I will tell them then i'm 100% sure it is consuming oil so do a leakdown test.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Here's what the basic kit looks like

Here's a great article from Mobil on leakdown testing in pdf form
Attached Images  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Engine Leakdown Test.pdf (99.8 KB, 644 views)
Old 09-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Karo, what do your exhaust tips look like?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by johnand
Karo, what do your exhaust tips look like?
yeah i want to know too.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah - be interesting to know how black & grimy the tailpipe is & if oily fog is depositing on the tail of the car. The trouble with running cars on synthetic oils like PAOs & PIBs is that the oil burns without making big clouds of blue smoke like petroleum based oils do. All smoke free 2 stroke oils are made with synthetics - mainly PIBs because they are cheaper.

All they do is leave a black fluffy deposit in the exhaust which blows off.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Hey guys,

My tail pipe was kind of dark but I don't know what's normal to compare.

They called me and and gave me an update but didn't mention the oil loss/consumption. I asked about it and they said there was a small leak in the cam plug. So I said how small, enough to loose 3 qts within 3 months/4,600 miles? He said "no" so I said then for sure I am burning oil. Before I come there and since they are still working on the car have them do a Leakdown test.

So it's a waiting game now to see what they are going to say. When I get the bill I will see what they changed on the tranny and post it here.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Hey guys,

My tail pipe was kind of dark but I don't know what's normal to compare.

They called me and and gave me an update but didn't mention the oil loss/consumption. I asked about it and they said there was a small leak in the cam plug. So I said how small, enough to loose 3 qts within 3 months/4,600 miles? He said "no" so I said then for sure I am burning oil. Before I come there and since they are still working on the car have them do a Leakdown test.

So it's a waiting game now to see what they are going to say. When I get the bill I will see what they changed on the tranny and post it here.
Maybe it was a combo of things. How much oil did you replace at your last oil change? Maybe it was a little low to begin with, you leaked a little off, and lastly you burned the rest. Just a thought.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Last oil change I pumped out 6 and replaced 8. But before that I had the light come on again and I said maybe the previous owner didn't have enough (when I had the car I still had 6K left). So when I the light came on (message) I added 1 qt. Then when I had 3K left I got the same message so I said let me just change the whole thing. So when I pumped out the oil I replaced 7 and it was little but over the min so then I added 1 more. Then it was fine.

After that that's when I started to get these messages. (3 qts within 4,600 miles - 1qt a month)
Old 09-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Last oil change I pumped out 6 and replaced 8. But before that I had the light come on again and I said maybe the previous owner didn't have enough (when I had the car I still had 6K left). So when I the light came on (message) I added 1 qt. Then when I had 3K left I got the same message so I said let me just change the whole thing. So when I pumped out the oil I replaced 7 and it was little but over the min so then I added 1 more. Then it was fine.

After that that's when I started to get these messages. (3 qts within 4,600 miles - 1qt a month)
wow, there goes my theory.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Update:

I just got my baby back from the dealer here is what they did:

Customer states display read add oil at next fill up. Customer states added 3qts of oil at 4600 miles

No problem found at this time no major oil leaks found at this time
------------------------------------------------
Customer states feels rough idle when at a stop (I did not say this lool)

Replaced transmission mount
Customer states sunroof will bounce open after closing once it gets half way

Cleaned and lubed sunroof rails and reprogrammed
-------------------------------------------------
Found on inspection oil breather leaking

Replaced oil breather
Customer states oil leak from engine area

Replaced rear cam plug (Leaking oil)
Customer states transmission has a delay shift at higher RPM speeds. Feels like hanging in up gears. Hard up down shifts.

Replaced Valve body and performed adaptation:
Valve Gear 220 270 18 06
Oil Filter 221 277 01 95
Gasket 220 271 03 80
Screw W Coll 004 990 75 12
Screw 004 990 35 12
Ring, General 007603 012102
Transmission 001 989 68 03 10

------------------------------------------
Customer states when putting into drive feels clunk from under vehicle

Replaced both front sway bar links

---------------------------------------------------

So I mention the oil and told them about leakdown test he said this is the problem.
He close the door and said The industry standard is 1qt per 1,000 miles. I gave him a look and he said I know it sounds ridiculous. Then I interrupted him and say that means before my interval I have to put 13qts of oil? Then I said you know how much that will cost? Then he told me that there are procedures and they can't jump to it that quickly but what they did was they put the perfect amount of oil. He said after 500 miles come see me and if any oil is missing/consuming they we will for sure take a look at it. That's when we can document "Consuming Oil" and not document it as "Customer States".

I said ok fine. I'm sure with my driving that will be an easy task to accomplish.

I still have till Nov 24th which kind of made me relax.

Now for the tranny feel. Huge changes very huge changes. I feel the car starts and stops in 2nd. I just got back but I have not tested anything yet. When I slow down (almost to a stop) I will downshift manually to see if it switches to 1st meaning yes it does stop in 2nd.

Also when I take off and I kind of pushed the pedal hard I felt it downshift. So I have a feeling it starts in 2nd. Then wtf is C mode for?

Anyway more tests to come.

Also my break feels a lot stiffer. Maybe I got use to the w204 but it feels a lot stiffer.

More updates to come.

Pshhhh burn/consume oil within 500 miles. Not a problem..I think my foot might just get a little heavier

P.S. He told me the funniest thing. He said the Valve body is your tranny computer (I dont think the valve body is a tranny computer) so if you drive hard it will shift hard. So for a week drive casually I thought my mission was to prove that I can burn/consume oil.

Last edited by W203E35; 09-25-2009 at 09:54 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Message Really in Need of Help