C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2005 C230K ENGINE CLEANING

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
I'm going to stick with Mr. Anderson, Mr. Ruck, Mr. Matt and Mr. Frank on this one.
I think doing an engine wash = Pissing up the wrong tree

Nikic-Just out of curiosity how much did the dealer quote you for an engine wash?
Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Dealer quoted me $150 for an engine steam cleaning. Told them to get bent.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by johnand
See my edit in post #13 above.
Yeah - John - As my service manager always says they make lots of money out of people who wash down their engines with water. Blown SAMS, corroded ECU pins, poor earths, cross feed in connectors due to corrosion & deposits etc etc. ad infinitum. People need to understand the ion exchange that takes place where water and salts of any description are present to make that water highly conductive & ultimately cause corrosion. Exactly the same principal that turns off your tumble dryer when your clothing is dry. We are talking about sensitive electronics here. When a little bit of oil from leaking cam sensors can mess up the O2 sensor readings on an M271 to the degree that it runs poorly - and oil is a very poor conductor. Water with salts present is not.

We get ours cars back from service here with spotless engines. The dealers use a proprietary Benz spray in silver aerosol cans to spray down everything & wipe clean with cloths. - All looks like new. The stuff smells like switch cleaner but does not make plastics shine so Benz have obviously stayed well clear of silicone in it.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nikic
I would not suggest cleaning the engine of a C230K or any mercedes unless you know what you are doing. Today i called my dealership and asked what their system of engine cleaning is, they said that they use a "steam cleaning solution" almost like a mist but stronger and they wouldn't tell me much because they would be losing profit if i knew their exact steps towards engine cleaning.

To "B on my Benz" i highly suggest that you DO NOT:
1) leave the car on while you are cleaning your engine
2) clean your engine with a regular water hose

why? because like many other users have said that the electronics in the vehicle is not water proof and for using cold water on a hot engine is not a good idea at all.
You may end up getting away with everything working fine for that day, but you will have future electronic problems.

To clean my engine today, I went to my local auto store and bought engine degreaser and i covered all the open wires i saw with plasic bags, then i applied the engine degreaser on the engine, afterwords i used a wet rag and scrubbed the engine, finally i used another rag to dry everything off. (If you want that extra shine, feel free to use Armor All on the plastic parts and hoses and etc.) because that is what i did and believe it or not, My engine is looking as if i bought the car brand new back in 2005.

Remember, After you have finished all of the steps above, wait 15 minutes and then turn the car on and let it idle for up to 5-10 minutes so that the engine is 100% dry.

If you do not feel like doing the steps above or don't have the time for it, Give a quick call to your dealership and get a quote on a engine cleaning knowing that you will be 100% safe.

It takes time, but its well worth it in the end.
Someone, Feel free to correct me if im wrong.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions/opinions!
Just make sure that Armor All does not contain silicone!
Old 10-01-2009, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Yeah - John - As my service manager always says they make lots of money out of people who wash down their engines with water. Blown SAMS, corroded ECU pins, poor earths, cross feed in connectors due to corrosion & deposits etc etc. ad infinitum. People need to understand the ion exchange that takes place where water and salts of any description are present to make that water highly conductive & ultimately cause corrosion. Exactly the same principal that turns off your tumble dryer when your clothing is dry. We are talking about sensitive electronics here. When a little bit of oil from leaking cam sensors can mess up the O2 sensor readings on an M271 to the degree that it runs poorly - and oil is a very poor conductor. Water with salts present is not.

We get ours cars back from service here with spotless engines. The dealers use a proprietary Benz spray in silver aerosol cans to spray down everything & wipe clean with cloths. - All looks like new. The stuff smells like switch cleaner but does not make plastics shine so Benz have obviously stayed well clear of silicone in it.
Glyn, since were talking about engine wash whenever I turn on my A/C I get a smell. Do you know where I can spray something to make the smell go away? On previous car while AC was running I use to spray Lysol. I tried on the Benz and I think I sprayed somewhere else. I sprayed on the hood vent then thought to myself I dont think this is it.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2009, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by B on my Benz
haha its okay haterz. thats what all people seem to say when someone younger has a better car than them. haha. its okay guys, when you guys can reach my level, come talk to me ) not disrespecting but just my 2 cents ya know!!
Cupcake - stop being a jerk & go play with your little friends in the sandpit - engine compartment - whatever!
Old 10-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Karo
Glyn, since were talking about engine wash whenever I turn on my A/C I get a smell. Do you know where I can spray something to make the smell go away? On previous car while AC was running I use to spray Lysol. I tried on the Benz and I think I sprayed somewhere else. I sprayed on the hood vent then thought to myself I dont think this is it.

Thanks
The good old bacterial A/C stink. Benz sell an antibacterial spray. You need to get it on to the evaporator and into the dash airways & water drain. 3 is the evaporator. Kill this stuff off or it can cost you a new evaporator & tedious dash stripdown. Keep the system dry after that by turning on to heat for a few minutes before you shutdown.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 C230K ENGINE CLEANING-w203hvac-25.jpg  
Old 10-01-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
When I was in my teens, we had a cranky old neighbor guy who once said to me that nobody under 30 should drive anything except a John Deere tractor. Funny how 40 years later I still remember that.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by samaritrey
i was going to ignore your immature comments but i decided not too...
OK first off how the hell does a 16 year old own anything. i am pretty sure that you have to be 18 in Colorado to own anything let alone an e55 and a car wash. second if you own a car wash why would you take your car to Mercedes to wash it? third you think that you are better then all of us with w203. lol yeah a lot of the w203 owners make more then you can imagine. also if you are 16 you don't own a house or have other financial responsiblites which makes life alot easier. even if you payed for the car yourself i have to ask where you found the cash to pay for an e55? what does a used one cost 30k minimum? i know that when you are young you feel that you are better then every one else if you have something better then them but you are not. you need to grow up because you think you are mr big shot but their are younger people then you that have way better cars than a piece of **** e55.
+1, it doesn't help that he types and sounds like a hood rat.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
The good old bacterial A/C stink. Benz sell an antibacterial spray. You need to get it on to the evaporator and into the dash airways & water drain. 3 is the evaporator. Kill this stuff off or it can cost you a new evaporator & tedious dash stripdown. Keep the system dry after that by turning on to heat for a few minutes before you shutdown.

nice, thanks Glyn.

I bought this and have yet to try it out:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/1zein...iacleaner.aspx

I wonder how I can get it into the evaporator...
Old 10-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

oh, with regard to B on my Benz, he's fronting. that's obviously his parent's car.

well, unless he sold his 2008 Ford Ranger and traded it for an E55... I found a craigslist ad for a 2008 Ford Ranger in which he listed his registered e-mail address.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by nlpamg
nice, thanks Glyn.

That 1Z Einszett Klima Cleaner works incredibly well in my experience. I always just drop the blower motor to easily spray it on the evaporator, on the few cars I have used it on. Yet to use it on the C, so not sure if that is feasible or not?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E.FIDDY.FIVE AMG
yea you guys are right but you know some people are successful in life and i was lucky to be one of those guys. I think you guys are just mad and need to stop disrespecting other people. Hey you know what you may not be able to be like me and can afford these nice toys but it doesnt mean you have to criticize people and downgrade them. I work hard for it and hard work pays off ya know. So lets not talk anymore **** i honestly respect you guys too and lets make this convo to an end im a lover not a hater
Old 10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

yea you guys are right but you know some people are successful in life and i was lucky to be one of those guys. I think you guys are just mad and need to stop disrespecting other people. Hey you know what you may not be able to be like me and can afford these nice toys but it doesnt mean you have to criticize people and downgrade them. I work hard for it and hard work pays off ya know. So lets not talk anymore **** i honestly respect you guys too and lets make this convo to an end im a lover not a hater
what a joke.

you're successful in life? based on what? that your parents have an E55?

you can afford nice toys? you mean your parents right? if it's not your parents, tell us how a 17 year old kid in high school makes money to "afford nice toys".

you may think you're trying to end things, but the manner in which you speak is highly insulting and patronizing.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
I never respond to these types of posts, but I have to say you are a hypocrite. You want people to "stop discrespecting other people", when you started this whole thing with your quote: "haah okay mr c240 aaha piece of ****", as well as,the manner in which you present yourself as Phil pointed out.

Also, your response "woooo. You guys obviously dont know much about cars then." is ridiculous. Thre are MANY guys who have posted on this thread with MANY years more life experience than you. I also don't typically repond to the "I am better than you" type of posts, but yours just rubbed me the wrong way. I have been heavily involved in cars for around 25 years now. 6 of those years as an automotive mechanic. I can comfortably say, my (as well as Glyn, Frank, Phil, Matt, and a few others that have posted to this thread) automotive knowledge trumps yours by a long shot.

Last edited by johnand; 10-01-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by nlpamg
nice, thanks Glyn.

There is a TSB about the evap. stink for most Mercedes models. I had them treat mine. They removed the panel under the dash on the passenger side and drilled a small hole. They sprayed the evaporator through that hole and then put a plastic plug into the hole. They also change one of the climate control settings with Star Diagnostics. Needless today, the smell came back after a month as usual. Every few months I remove the air filter and spray Lysol into the intake with the fan on. It works for a while, but I don't think it's a great idea because it seems to get the fan motor and electronics wet. If you do spray it you want to make sure the mixing flap is open so everything gets coated. I think the best way to do that is to have the temp set so that you get some heat - but you don't want all the air going through the heater otherwise I think the other flap closes (look at the diagram Glyn posted).
Old 10-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

On cars with Charcoal filter you drop the cover under the glove box. On others you do the best you can I'm afraid.

Spraying it into the dashtop vents does a fair job fan off if you can keep the cold air vent open. Varies with model as to how you achieve this.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-01-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 C230
Just want to make sure I only have 1 filter (the one on top of battery) for my 2003 C230, right?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

I believe the charcoal filters are only on models with Thermotronic or what the Americans call Climatronic. For 2003 US cars that means the C320.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:36 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
woooo. You guys obviously dont know much about cars then. TURST me you can use a power washer, a hose ETC.... HAve the car on though. The reason I know is becuase i took it to MERCEDES BENZ and they gave a an engine wash as i was watching them they had the car on though. ITs fine trust me.

bring your car over to me and I'll hose it down with running water in the engine bay and see if it works.

I'll be sure to pay special attention to cleaning the air-intake.

Last edited by FrankW; 10-01-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

See here:

Attached Thumbnails 2005 C230K ENGINE CLEANING-w203hvac-7.jpg  
Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FrankW
bring your car over to me and I'll hose it down with running water in the engine bay and see if it works.

I'll be sure to pay special attention to cleaning the air-intake.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Glyn, you have me thinking - on cars other than the 320 we have styrofoam blocks in the area where the charcoal filters would be. Can those be safely removed and reinstalled to gain access to the air box?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

acr - Some cars have them blanked off completely - no access. If your car has styrofoam blanks inserted I don't see why you can't remove them but I've never done it. Interesting!! I presume this means you could retrofit Charcoal filters?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230K
Originally Posted by Karo
I'm going to stick with Mr. Anderson, Mr. Ruck, Mr. Matt and Mr. Frank on this one.
I think doing an engine wash = Pissing up the wrong tree

Nikic-Just out of curiosity how much did the dealer quote you for an engine wash?
My dealer quoted me $180.00 for a steam engine cleaning. I decided to do it my way and it worked out well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 C230K ENGINE CLEANING