C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

NO SOUND FROM RADIO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Had a C300 loaner once with the Multimedia package that came with the HK Logic7.. this was back before I got the 135i. I had an 08 G37 with Bose Studio-On-Wheels system. No contest. The Infiniti system was amazing. The HK in the Benz was ok.

I've never owned a Benz car with Bose. But I've owned Acura and Infiniti and I was always very impressed.
+1 the Infiniti Bose systems are great. The Bose stereo in the Maserati quattroporte is awesome to. i also like the one in my c320 i like it a lot more then the hk stereo that was in my dads e320 cdi. This has been an argument on the forums forever wither the hk or the bose or that aftermarket system is best. i think if you like what you got then why argue on what is best.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
Samaritrey, agree with you. I'm not an audiophile and have been acused (rightly) of being tone-deaf, so spending a lot of money on a car sound system doesn't make much sense for me. However, the sound in from my HK system is fine, now that there really is sound. If the sound goes out again, I'll start by removing and replacing the fuses. I noticed that one was 15 amps and one was 25 amps, so won't switch them, just remove and replace them in their original spots.

Thanks again for everybody for chiming in on this.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C-230 Sport
Bose Radio in C230 Kompressor 2000 failed

Over a couple years, horrible noises out of the speakers from time to time -and then all better! Now no sound at all. Radio looks like it is working (and dealer diagnosed it as fine - but says the amp is bad). I have purchased an amp from Adsit - a Mercedes parts seller - amp has same part number as original one. Hubby plugged it in and we still have no sound. Don't like paying dealer high time and labor costs - but maybe that is the only way?? Anyone have helpful info for me?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Originally Posted by jacksgm
Over a couple years, horrible noises out of the speakers from time to time -and then all better! Now no sound at all. Radio looks like it is working (and dealer diagnosed it as fine - but says the amp is bad). I have purchased an amp from Adsit - a Mercedes parts seller - amp has same part number as original one. Hubby plugged it in and we still have no sound. Don't like paying dealer high time and labor costs - but maybe that is the only way?? Anyone have helpful info for me?
it could be a broken fiber cable.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:31 PM

2000 C-230 Sport
Thanks, Trey! I am about to return the amp I bought and will be sent another. If that doesn't work, I will mention the broken fiber cable idea to the dealer. I appreciate your reply. It certainly seems like you have a lot of experience with foreign cars!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Originally Posted by jacksgm
Thanks, Trey! I am about to return the amp I bought and will be sent another. If that doesn't work, I will mention the broken fiber cable idea to the dealer. I appreciate your reply. It certainly seems like you have a lot of experience with foreign cars!
lol not really just read the forums a lot. And my passion is cars so i go and test drive them a lot and my family has had a lot of cool cars over the years. from my understanding it is not that hard to test the fiber cables just have never done it myself. GL
Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 PM

2005 c230 s/c
today my 05 c230 did this. no sound. shut the car down for a hour, turn it back on and it worked fine. anyway its about 95 out seems like maybe the amp is over heating. just an idea. radio was on for a few hours befor this happened.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Or it could have water contamination. Drove through any washes lately?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 PM

03.5 c230
no sound

I have the same problem, tried to bend the fuse so it would get stick to the holder, it work for a while then it happens again , no sound! I think it's a sign that I have to change the HU: hopefully it works after I change the HU???
Old 07-15-2011, 07:21 PM

03.5 c230
fuse location

I forgot to mention that the car have 2 fuses: one for the radio #64(hood side) and one for the sound system which I do not have #26( door driver side).
Old 09-07-2011, 11:51 PM

05 c230
ok my radio is totally out, no sound for the last few days, the head unit lights up cd changer works (hk). It has done this in the past but would hear sound a few minutes later after i shut everything off.
ive pull both the fuse under the hood and the side dash still nothing, i even unplugged the negative to the battery.
So my question is where is the amp located?
Oh and screw mercedes, this crap happens after the warranty goes out..
Old 09-12-2011, 10:15 AM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by mighty mak
ok my radio is totally out, no sound for the last few days, the head unit lights up cd changer works (hk). It has done this in the past but would hear sound a few minutes later after i shut everything off.
ive pull both the fuse under the hood and the side dash still nothing, i even unplugged the negative to the battery.
Quite a few posts on this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...io-system.html
Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 c230 S.S.
Originally Posted by mighty mak
in the trunk underneath the right side carpet
Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 PM

Mb c320
Happened to me - started getting infuriated because I had this issue once before where the CD changer would no longer register in my 01 slk - that issue was a bad ribbon in the changer, got lucky this time on my 05 c320 - the fuse trick worked. Car has been sitting out in 100 degree temps and I'm guessing the amp over heated - time to clear out the garage!!!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:22 PM

Mb c320
Originally Posted by FraKctured
There are some other links on this issue. I've had this happen a few times now with my HK system in my '06 C280. First time, they replaced the amplifier (luckily, it was still under warranty). It was fine for 6 months, then just happened again last week, but started working the next day. I will have them look into it next time I take it in.

It's not the fuse (I replaced those the first time, made no difference). There's some other issue, but no one seems to have an answer for this (and on this fantastic forum, that is VERY strange!!).

This kind of thing should not be happening with any car, much less an MB. Car stereos have been around for a very long time--it ain't rocket surgery.
Fuse worked for me, yours sounds like the fiber optic cable.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:56 PM

c280
07 c280 4matic, mods: command, voice control, bluetooth, climatronic LCD ac control. All oem. The no sound thing started recently and would magically disappear without any fuse changes, resets etc. One day the sound went out and did not return. First I checked everything, because of the mods, thinking fiber or individual modules themselves. No issues found. Plug the HK amp up and the sound returned. I thought cool just a reset after all, NOT. The sound went out after a couple of days. Well I went straight for the amp thinking maybe the fan on the unit was bad, causing a malfunction when trying to kick in. I removed the plate on the amp to check for any signs of a burned circuit before I layed out money for a new one. What I found is some of the soldered connections protruded through the board and possibly contacted the cover plate. There was one spot where there was a burned crystalized spot across connections which I knew would definately cause a short. Cleaned the board in that area, installed the amp, good to go. Didn't notice until the repair that the sat radio plays instantly before the command finishes it boot where as before there was a few second wait. It's a decent sound system. Maybe a design flaw which lead to so many replacements
Old 05-05-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230
Reviving this old thread. My wifes 203 just randomly quit having audio and lost communication with the CD changer. Remove the side panel on the dash and re-seated fuse 26(Audio Amp) and it started working again. Either loose connection at the fuse or it reset the amp, but either way, now its working.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:25 PM

06 c230 sedan
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
The conclusion of this post reminds me of that old saying KISS -- Keep It Simple Stupid. In this case, I'm the "stupid." I went to the owner's manual, found the location of the fuses. One for the radio is on the left side of the dash where it meets the door. The second is under the hood on the driver side near the firewall. Anyhow, located both fuses, they looked fine, reinstall them, and (drum roll please), the radio works fine. Can only figure that one of the two fuses was loose.

Thanks again to everyone for their help on this. I did learn one thing, I do have the HK sound system.
Thank you sir, it worked for me!
Old 01-28-2021, 05:03 PM

E320
Pulled Fuses #5 and #16 under the back seat and switched on the ignition. (2000 E320). Switched off and replaced Fuses #5 and #16. The radio is working again!

Dumb luck. I'll take it.

Thanks to all.