C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

power steering "leak" found

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL203
Originally Posted by nickgailloux
I had the exact same problem but mine was fixed while still in warranty. Dealer charge to MB was also $2300 I believe.

It is not normal to have to top up power steering fluid. If its low, its leaking.
did they also replace the P/S pump? or only the rack?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
Originally Posted by midnight kompre
did they also replace the P/S pump? or only the rack?
Just the rack if I recall... I can scan and email you the paperwork if you still need it.. let me know.

Oddly enought I've been hearing a faint noise when steering tightly again... I should check the fluid again. My B service is due in a few weeks so I'll leave it until then. My trick is to not mention it to them, then if they miss it, give them crap for it, since they claim to check and top up all fluids. They've missed it in the past.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
There are far cheaper options - take it away from the dealer.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by nickgailloux
Just the rack if I recall... I can scan and email you the paperwork if you still need it.. let me know.

Oddly enought I've been hearing a faint noise when steering tightly again... I should check the fluid again. My B service is due in a few weeks so I'll leave it until then. My trick is to not mention it to them, then if they miss it, give them crap for it, since they claim to check and top up all fluids. They've missed it in the past.
if the P/S pump leak wasn't replaced or properly fixed... then to my understanding its possible the problem with the rack could be recreated.

they're only quoting me to fix the rack and not do anything with the P/S Pump and that worries me.

i think i should be fine w/o the paperwork (thanks). i just wanted to see if the P/S pump was fixed or replaced. if you dont mind checking for that, i would really appreciate it. they're looking at my car tomorrow morning, so its kind of short notice if you can get it to me today.

(thanks)
Old 10-18-2009, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
There are far cheaper options - take it away from the dealer.
i checked with the dealer and also an independent MB shop and according to them, the cheaper option would be to buy a refurbished rack assembled by an aftermarket company (not MBUSA). the cost of the rack alone would be $1100 and they would purchase it from here:

http://www.brinsonco.com/

this sounds appealing, however... I have to tow my car about 65 miles to this place, and the warranty of this part isn't as good as if i get it from MBUSA and have a dealer do it.

plus, if the problem happens again (because it seems that they don't think the P/S pump needs to be replaced), I can hold the dealer responsible. I'm afraid if another place does it, they might not hold themselves accountable and I might have to go through this again.

the total difference in cost between these two options are about $250-300. unfortunately, i'm choosing the more expensive option of the two.

if there are any other ways to fix this, please let me know. my car is scheduled to be fixed tomorrow.

thanks!
Old 10-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
One internet search pulls up reman units at US$ 379 - Click on what models it fits - fits yours - non parametric. An Indy shop could pop it in very reasonably

http://autoparts.thecarconnection.co...lete-unit#fits

I'm quite sure there are many more - just search or ask someone like C230 Sport Coup on the forum. Todd always knows where to get the best prices on parts in the US.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-18-2009 at 03:27 PM.