C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Weird issues right after cold start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Weird issues right after cold start

Hi guys,

Its started to get cold (-2C) here in Ottawa and this is my first winter with the C230.

Ive already started to notice that when I start the car up n the morning, it idles very rough (which Im assuming is normal from other threads here), but the transmission in my car starts acting funny too.

The shift from 1 - 2 is very rough and the entire car shudders during the shift. Also, Ive noticed a few times the engine rpm's go very high during the shift (with the associated increased engine noise) and then fall back to a normal rpm range after the second gear engages, but literally after a few minutes of this, when the engine warms up a bit, the shifts get smooth again and so does the ride.

I recently got a independent mechanic to read my cars adaptation numbers, and what he told me was that the transmission is in pretty good shape.

Is this considered a transmission slip? If this isn't normal, what can I do to fix it?
Old 10-17-2009, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
I have the same issue. I heard it's just the tranny oil trying to warm up. Once it's at the right temp it will be fine. That's what I heard, don't know if it true.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:28 AM

A Car
Dont worry about it. Read the manual, that will explain EVERYTHING.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mu9enx
I have the same issue. I heard it's just the tranny oil trying to warm up. Once it's at the right temp it will be fine. That's what I heard, don't know if it true.
Yep that makes sense because Ive tried monitoring the temperature reading in th cluster (Im guessing its measuring the transmission fluid temperature?) and the minute it reaches about 60C, its smooth as hell. But still scary when it jerks and shudders and doesnt engage the right gear immediately!

Originally Posted by holycaoAMG
Dont worry about it. Read the manual, that will explain EVERYTHING.
holycaoAMG, Ive read the manual. It basically says that MB has designed the transmission to stay at lower gears for a little longer so the engine warms up faster.
It however does not mention the gear not engaging immediately after shift and the RPM's going very high before the gear engages. This almost sounds like transmission slippage.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
i let my car warm up for like 30sec-1min before i even try to leave the garage. i do this for two reasons one is that it will shift funny if i don't second it gives me a sec to get some good tunes on take the crap out of my pockets and get my cellphone and headset all ready to go.

btw i only have problems when the temp is under say 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by samaritrey
i let my car warm up for like 30sec-1min before i even try to leave the garage. i do this for two reasons one is that it will shift funny if i don't second it gives me a sec to get some good tunes on take the crap out of my pockets and get my cellphone and headset all ready to go.

btw i only have problems when the temp is under say 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
I might try doing that and see if the issues goes away. Im also looking at getting that block heater cord installed, so that should help out a bit too.

And yes, Ive started noticing it only recently after the temp started to dip below 5C which is about 50F.

LOL..in my part of the freezer aka Canada, we hit -30C for weeks at a stretch and my car is parked outdoors at home and at work...so basically its going to be sitting exposed to temperatures between 0 and -30 for like 7 months continuously.

Going to be a very interesting winter....hehe.

Last edited by jcnash; 10-17-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Letting your car idle "warm-up" isn't good for the engine. 30 seconds is acceptable. Also, an idling engine does not heat transmission fluid to operating temps.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Banned

02 C320 Sedan
Holy ****.. -2C... wow i closed the window of my room last night because it was 60 outside.. i thought i was cold last night.. holy poop..

My car does this too.. You need to let your car warm up in the morning. You can hear the motor switch to lower RPM once its warmed up after like 2 mins.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Letting your car idle "warm-up" isn't good for the engine. 30 seconds is acceptable. Also, an idling engine does not heat transmission fluid to operating temps.
Thanks LILBENZ 230.

I park on the upper level ramp at home. So normally what I do is I start up my engine, let it sit for a few seconds while I settle in etc, put it in drive and set off by accelerating for like 5 seconds, but once I hit the downward spiralling ramp, I switch back to neutral and let the car roll. The idea is that this give the engine time to warm up while Im rolling without the load of pushing the wheels.

Is this a good idea?

Originally Posted by krisv420
Holy ****.. -2C... wow i closed the window of my room last night because it was 60 outside.. i thought i was cold last night.. holy poop..

My car does this too.. You need to let your car warm up in the morning. You can hear the motor switch to lower RPM once its warmed up after like 2 mins.
Haha...its weird. Im colder nowadays (-5C or so) than I would be when its like -20. I think its because of the fact that by the time it gets that cold, were so used to it that it doesnt bother us as much as it does now. Living here during the winter is a freggin adventure!

I havent really noticed the lower RPM after warm up etc, but that could be because I havent paid attention. Ill try it out over the next few days and get back.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
What you explain is not normal transmission operation. When last was the fluid & filter changed? What mileage has the vehicle done? Are you a very hard driver? You might have a damaged 1st to 2nd one-way clutch.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glyn,
I dont think the fluid has ever been changed and the car just turned over 150000km a few days back.
Im not a very hard driver....and i put in conscious effort to caress it through till it warms up atleast, but I bought the car used only a few months back, so theres no telling how the previous owners drove.
From reading other threads/responses here, it seems like this is normal for these cars and also, once the car warms up and when I started driving int he summer, I did not have these issues (atleast not as strong as now).
Ive had my cars transmission adaptation numbers read. Will posting that help in trying to figure out if this is a clutch issue or if its just normal?
Old 10-17-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240
I have the higher rpms during warm up also when the temperature gets below 50 degrees F and I park the car outside. The car takes longer to shift out of 1st gear but after 2 minutes or so shifting is smooth and normal again. I plan to change my tranny fluid for the 1st time in June next year during my A service. My 2001 C240 has 38,500 miles.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jack_2001C240
The car takes longer to shift out of 1st gear but...
When it does shift out of first, does it jerk/shudder and has it ever revved really high (like 4500rpm) and then drop back to normal revs after second engages?

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
It's supposed to hold first longer when cold to warm the Cat quickly to reduce emissions. It is not supposed to jerk when it changes to 2nd. Change the fluid & filter on an urgent basis. Could well fix it. Don't listen to MBUSA - They expect a car to be trashed at your mileage. These transmissions need to have an oil & filter change EVERY 60,000Km as Benz do in the rest of the world if you want long transmission life & low shift shock. Is the transmission fluid black? I know of 722.6 transmissions that are still smooth at over 700,000Kms but have had regular servicing.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
I wonder if something changed in 2005 because it seems that everyone complaining about hard shifts in cold weather has an older C. I've never experienced this and I've driven the car without warming it up at temps of ~20 F. Unless 4Matic somehow makes a difference? I doubt it.
Maybe there was a software update?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Letting your car idle "warm-up" isn't good for the engine.....
LILBENZ230,

Why? Im just a curious guy...lol

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
It's supposed to hold first longer when cold to warm the Cat quickly to reduce emissions. It is not supposed to jerk when it changes to 2nd. Change the fluid & filter on an urgent basis. Could well fix it. Don't listen to MBUSA - They expect a car to be trashed at your mileage. These transmissions need to have an oil & filter change EVERY 60,000Km as Benz do in the rest of the world if you want long transmission life & low shift shock. Is the transmission fluid black? I know of 722.6 transmissions that are still smooth at over 700,000Kms but have had regular servicing.
I was planning to do a transmission, brake fluid, power steering and coolant flush next spring, but I think Im going to do the transmission now. I just went out and looked at the car and the original MB seal lock on the cap for the nozzle where you pour the transmission fluid in is still on...which means that its never been changed since 2002 (150000km).
I dont know the condition of the fluid....is there a way to check this with the naked eye?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:13 AM

A Car
Originally Posted by jcnash
I dont know the condition of the fluid....is there a way to check this with the naked eye?
No need to check condition, just change it. Its 7 years old, shifts hard..thats ALL you need to know. goodluck
Old 10-18-2009, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by holycaoAMG
No need to check condition, just change it. Its 7 years old, shifts hard..thats ALL you need to know. goodluck
Agreed. Ill get it done soon and let you guys know if it fixes the problem. Thanks for the help.