C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Key Programming of Blocked Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 02:05 AM
Jens C320

Question Key Programming of Blocked Key

Shortly after I took delivery of my car I lost one of the two keys...well, the dealer charged me what I feel a hideously high amount for programming the new one and disabling the lost one. Of course, as luck would have it, I just found my "lost" key and I was wondering if I can activate it myself or if I have to pay another visit to my dealer? I guess the one good thing that came out of this is that the dealer unknowingly gave me a Sedan key for my Wagon and I now have a rear hatch release function and a teal colored metal key release latch. I haven't read the manual and if I don't have any responses by tomorrow I will look in it to see if I can program the key, but from looking at the search results here I haven't seen anything regarding found "lost" keys.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
The only way to reverse a blocked key is with the dealer's laptop, so it looks like you're off to the dealer. On a side note, every replacement key comes without the release tab attached. A separate pouch comes with the key containing 4 tabs: black, gray, red, and blue. Your technician must have just liked the blue one and attached it. It's interesting that the trunk release button on your key works to release the rear hatch on the wagon. Good to know!
Old 03-05-2003, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting... just with a few months ago Coupe owners have been trying to get their dealers to get them sedan key housings because the hatch release works on coupes as well.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:06 PM

Re: Key Programming of Blocked Key

Originally posted by Jens C320
Shortly after I took delivery of my car I lost one of the two keys...well, the dealer charged me what I feel a hideously high amount for programming the new one and disabling the lost one. Of course, as luck would have it, I just found my "lost" key and I was wondering if I can activate it myself or if I have to pay another visit to my dealer? I guess the one good thing that came out of this is that the dealer unknowingly gave me a Sedan key for my Wagon and I now have a rear hatch release function and a teal colored metal key release latch. I haven't read the manual and if I don't have any responses by tomorrow I will look in it to see if I can program the key, but from looking at the search results here I haven't seen anything regarding found "lost" keys.
do not know what they charged, however you do not need to reprogram the vehicle to accept a new key. The automobile is pre programmed with several keys and all you have to do is order one via the VIN of the vehicle. It only takes a minute to delete a key from the system. I paid 160.00 for a new key and it started right up without any programming and the dealer deleted the lost key for free. The rear hatch release is standard on replaced infrared keys. We are talking about a 2002 vehicle and not something from the 1990s right? If it is from the 1990s it is another suitation...
Old 03-05-2003, 06:06 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Yeah, that was me.

Originally posted by pokerFACE
Interesting... just with a few months ago Coupe owners have been trying to get their dealers to get them sedan key housings because the hatch release works on coupes as well.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:48 PM
Jens C320

Re: Re: Key Programming of Blocked Key

Originally posted by Lockbuster
do not know what they charged, however you do not need to reprogram the vehicle to accept a new key. The automobile is pre programmed with several keys and all you have to do is order one via the VIN of the vehicle. It only takes a minute to delete a key from the system. I paid 160.00 for a new key and it started right up without any programming and the dealer deleted the lost key for free. The rear hatch release is standard on replaced infrared keys. We are talking about a 2002 vehicle and not something from the 1990s right? If it is from the 1990s it is another suitation...
I think there might have been a misunderstanding. I want to use one of the original smartkeys that came with my 2003 C320. I though I lost the key and had it blocked by the dealer, now my question is can I get that key "unblocked" since I just found it? I just talked with the dealer and he said that once it is blocked it is not reversable. Are they just hoping that I spring for a new key or is that 100% correct?
Old 03-05-2003, 08:51 PM

I was told the same as you, once the infrared key has been deleated you cannot go back and reinstall it into the auto.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Re: Re: Key Programming of Blocked Key

Originally posted by Jens C320
I think there might have been a misunderstanding. I want to use one of the original smartkeys that came with my 2003 C320. I though I lost the key and had it blocked by the dealer, now my question is can I get that key "unblocked" since I just found it? I just talked with the dealer and he said that once it is blocked it is not reversable. Are they just hoping that I spring for a new key or is that 100% correct?
Whoever you talked to was misinformed. The green workshop key is a special tool used to transfer data from the key programming station to the Electronic Ignition Switch (EIS). The green key is needed to reinstate a key that was blocked. The green key has to be ordered to your particular car, but it IS possible to reactivate a blocked key.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Jens C320

Re: Re: Re: Re: Key Programming of Blocked Key

Originally posted by mbtech208
Whoever you talked to was misinformed. The green workshop key is a special tool used to transfer data from the key programming station to the Electronic Ignition Switch (EIS). The green key is needed to reinstate a key that was blocked. The green key has to be ordered to your particular car, but it IS possible to reactivate a blocked key.
Thanks! I am going to go back to my dealer on the weekend and tell them that and see what they say.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Key Programming of Blocked Key

Originally posted by mbtech208

Well I guess my Mercedes Benz dealership and my locksmith books are wrong? What the hell you learn something every day.