C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Valentine 1 install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2009 | 02:39 PM

'04 c230 Coupe, '09 SLK 55
Valentine 1 install

Hello all,

Just finished my V1 install. Take a look!

http://stilife.com/v1

S.
Old 11-08-2009 | 03:03 PM

06 C230 6 Speed FTW
Great job, I would like to get one of them one of these days.
Old 11-08-2009 | 04:16 PM

05 c230k
so what does it do?
Old 11-08-2009 | 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Wow that looks seriously sweet. Nice Install.
Old 11-08-2009 | 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
That is a very clean install
i have always said i should buy one but i rarely leave va so it would not get used enough to justify the cost.
Old 11-08-2009 | 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
I travel between Seattle and Vancouver B.C. on I5 every week and I gotta say my V1 kept me from getting pulled over at least once every trip.
Old 11-08-2009 | 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Ahahaha And He Drives a C55^ ... A Radar Detector is definately a good investment.
Old 11-08-2009 | 05:12 PM

C230
Originally Posted by sasmith
Hello all,

Just finished my V1 install. Take a look!

http://stilife.com/v1

S.
Looks great...Any write up on where to make the connections? I'm looking to install mine above the visor as well without the concealed display and could not figure out a hot lead in the light console above. Where did you run the power for the unit?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 11-08-2009 | 05:46 PM

'04 c230 Coupe, '09 SLK 55
Originally Posted by mrlabguy
Looks great...Any write up on where to make the connections? I'm looking to install mine above the visor as well without the concealed display and could not figure out a hot lead in the light console above. Where did you run the power for the unit?

Thanks,

Michael
As far as hard wiring into the light console, there are constant hot leads up there, but I'm not sure about switched hot leads. This means you may have to turn the V1 off when you turn off the car.

My install was:

I removed the cigarette lighter near the cup holder.

I produced a plate that the remote control would be mounted to which replaces the cigarette lighter. This plate also has the volume control for the subwoofer.

I used the Valentine 1 hard wire kit to tap into the power leads for the cigarette lighter. This made the V1 switched with the ignition. I assumed this would also be a safe place to get power as it probably wouldn't effect the CAN bus.

From the hard wire module, I ran a cable to the remote control and one to the remote display in the cluster.

The main wire lead from the remote control goes all the way up the center console, through the dash, up the windshield pillar, along the top of the windshield to the main unit.

By doing it this way, I can control the whole unit from the remote control in the center console. Basically, my right hand rests on top of that area while I'm driving so I can turn it on or off and control volume.

I also have an external speaker mounted behind my left ear so when listening to music or the sunroof/windows are open I can still hear the alerts.
Old 11-08-2009 | 10:56 PM

C230
Originally Posted by sasmith
As far as hard wiring into the light console, there are constant hot leads up there, but I'm not sure about switched hot leads. This means you may have to turn the V1 off when you turn off the car.

My install was:

I removed the cigarette lighter near the cup holder.

I produced a plate that the remote control would be mounted to which replaces the cigarette lighter. This plate also has the volume control for the subwoofer.

I used the Valentine 1 hard wire kit to tap into the power leads for the cigarette lighter. This made the V1 switched with the ignition. I assumed this would also be a safe place to get power as it probably wouldn't effect the CAN bus.

From the hard wire module, I ran a cable to the remote control and one to the remote display in the cluster.

The main wire lead from the remote control goes all the way up the center console, through the dash, up the windshield pillar, along the top of the windshield to the main unit.

By doing it this way, I can control the whole unit from the remote control in the center console. Basically, my right hand rests on top of that area while I'm driving so I can turn it on or off and control volume.

I also have an external speaker mounted behind my left ear so when listening to music or the sunroof/windows are open I can still hear the alerts.
Thanks again. My BMW X5 had a switched hot lead up in the dome assembly. I was hoping the Merc has the same but it looks as though that is not the case. Your idea using the 12V on the cigarette lighter is a good option. I picked up an add a circuit fuse block today and I'm thinking of using that in the foot well on the drivers side.

Thanks for the feedback and again...Nice clean install.
Old 11-08-2009 | 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
there is a power source in the dome assembly. I mounted mine that way. I think I followed a DIY thread in the forum but im not sure which one. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Old 11-09-2009 | 02:49 AM

C230
Originally Posted by RW C55
there is a power source in the dome assembly. I mounted mine that way. I think I followed a DIY thread in the forum but im not sure which one. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Is the wire you tapped into a constant hot lead? I'd hate to have to turn it on and off every-time I got in and out of the car. The cigarette lighter only works with the key on so that is a good option if all the wires up top are hot only.

I'm curious if anyone here has found a switched hot up there.

Mine is an 06 230.
Old 11-09-2009 | 02:55 AM

C230
I travel between Seattle and Vancouver B.C. on I5 every week and I gotta say my V1 kept me from getting pulled over at least once every trip.
I drive HWY 280 between San Francisco and San Jose which unlike most Bay Area Highways is never backed up and most everyone is driving 80+ mph. It is almost the American Autobahn with dozens of cars doing 100mph +. That said it is also heavily patrolled by CHP. My V1 is always going off in a few places where they wait for speeders.
Old 11-09-2009 | 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mrlabguy
Is the wire you tapped into a constant hot lead? I'd hate to have to turn it on and off every-time I got in and out of the car. The cigarette lighter only works with the key on so that is a good option if all the wires up top are hot only.

I'm curious if anyone here has found a switched hot up there.

Mine is an 06 230.
Yep my power source is switched. I couldnt find the thread i followed earlier, i guess ill pop my dome later and take a picture of the wire i tapped.

Edited: Here is a picture of the blue/grey wire I tapped. Please excuse me for the poor image quality.

Last edited by RW C55; 11-09-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2009 | 12:47 PM

C230
Yep my power source is switched. I couldnt find the thread i followed earlier, i guess ill pop my dome later and take a picture of the wire i tapped.

Edited: Here is a picture of the blue/grey wire I tapped. Please excuse me for the poor image quality.

Thanks a bunch...You have to LOVE these forums. I'm new here but I have a long history on the BMW forums with my previous cars. I hope to contribute as much as I'm helped.

I'll look for the wire you describe this afternoon and report back if I'm able to make the connection.