C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Input Please: Damaged Rims, Issue between, Advans, Joyofcola, UPS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 c320 coupe
Originally Posted by ///Icon
for the cost you bought them for couldnt you get them new?
+1 on post 39, but the wheels are painted black with time attack..
Old 11-10-2009, 07:56 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by B 189 NIQ
I think the answer to your question is on post #39
that and it also came with fairly new tires.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by joyofcola
well i have to defend myself on my side of things.. i found out from another member that i was going to buy rims from that he shipped his rims to some guy in canada and he said putting it as a gift i will be waived from duty.. but i never told gary to declare it for 1 dollar.. or maybe he assumed since i dont want to pay tax that declaring the lowest value would do..and gary i did say we split the repair not asking u to pay in full i have all email to prove that i didnt ask u to write 1 dollar as declare value and that i asked for half repair and not in full cuz i said im responsible since i asked to put down gift...however i did not know that you cant buy insurance for a gift....well that being said...the paypal issue was an idea from my friend saying since i cant do anything on my end as a buyer the only claim i can make is through paypal...well what do you guys expect me to do I pay to buy these wheels and they are just lying there....im just worst comes to worst if ups dun do anything i think splitting the cost for repair is reasonable
not taking sides and have said splitting the cost is reasonable, but the cost difference for repair in your area and Gary's area is night and day. There is no just for him to pay $400 with $200 per wheel being the repair cost when he can get them repair for $200 a set. If it's vis versa you would feel the same way.

declaring items as gift is fine for something under $60 value (yes, I searched). you get taxed by Canadian customs either way for anything declared more than $60. Gift items may be taxed less, but who knows. From what I read in Gary's writing I believe he said you asked him to declared it as Gift and lowest value possible?! That's why he went ahead and put the lowest value allowed on the customs form which is $1.

Judging from the situation described I don't think either one of you realize the declared value = the insurance value. The one remaining question is IF you had ask Gary to purchase insurance as certain value? if not, then there's really nothing to it.

so there's really a few ways to solve this.

1. If I'm you, I would pay for the return shipping to Gary and have him refund you minus the shipping. He get thes wheels back which he can repair and then sell and you don't loose that much money in return.

2. keep the wheels and end of story.

3. IF and only IF Gary is willing he can pay you the cost of repair for a full set quoted from his local shop.

4. Gary can pay you the $50 per wheel which would be the highest you can declare something as gift without getting taxed. however this is still IF Gary is willing to be a nice guy and do it.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
^Frank,

thank you for your input.

I've been trying to "beg" UPS to take a damage call tag, and send these back here for repair. but UPS is not giving any sort of that.

I'm going to get a quote from my shop, the "cost" of repairing.

I think I'm not liable for the "mounting and balance" thing, I think that's some sort of maintenance thing.

Like I said, I'm NOT trying to bad mouth Gordon, it's just I am kinda "sick" of dealing with this whole dilemma, especially via email. The last few things Gordon said to me via email is that he is upset that I am modding my car.

actually..this is what Gordon said to me.

"But honestly I see you keep on updating your car while I have damaged rims in my garage doesn't make me happy."

"I know its not my business you modding your car but to me it just seems like you don't give a **** you modding your car and leaving me out in the cold after buying the wheels."

response to quote 1, Gordon, Modding is nearly everyone (here on mbworld atleast) sickness, and me modding my car, and settling this UPS thing is totally different.

response to quote 2, If I am leaving you in the cold, I wouldn't even begin to deal with this whole Insurance/claims/UPS thing. You know it's a major headach, and those UPS call centers are not always "picking up the moment you call" it's this HUGE wait, and they give you bull****.

I am quite upset at what you said to me Gordon, this UPS thing has been a huge headach, and I promise myself, and advise ALL other US mbworld members, to... never ship anything over to Canada, or international.

Even though I'm upset at this whole situation, I'm still going to "see what I can do" to further assist you with these damages.

again, I'm sorry the wheels arrived that way, I feel the pain, since they were once my loves.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Also,

Gordon, don't take anything offensive on this board, I'm happy for you to write up here, on ur side of the story. I think everyone here is just debating and giving out his/her opinions.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Also,

Gordon, don't take anything offensive on this board, I'm happy for you to write up here, on ur side of the story. I think everyone here is just debating and giving out his/her opinions.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 PM

E320, C230 Coupe, SLK350
i just said declare it as a gift...i didn't know about anything else like you need to put down a value of goods since ive never mailed anything out...and the gift idea was from another member here and he never said anything about the declared value and i found out gary declared as a $1 after he mailed it out...not saying he is wrong i know he is trying so i won't be taxed
Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 PM

07 c230SS
i think this should be dealt privately among the 2 parties. not disclosing emails and messages.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK320 (sold), 2007 C230 SS (gone), 2000 Grand Marquis, 2011 CR-Z, stay tuned...
I do agree with jogger a bit. I can COMPLETELY understand both sides of the story, and I wish you both well in figuring it out.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 c320 coupe
gordon stop blaming a 3rd member.. you are grown up, he told you to do so, you didnt seach for more informations & you did it.. so assume what you dit.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 201 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
If the wheels are black, they're about $150CAD per wheel for repair.
If they're painted in that AMG silver, it now goes up to $250 per wheel. Trust me, I know too well. Wheel repair is a ripoff but there's only 1 shop here in Vancouver that can a proper job.

Yes, declared value = insured value. Lowballing the amount is basically a calculated gamble. With that said, UPS has screwed me once as well (banged up my wheels then not paying out), even when I declared the proper value. You'd think the monkeys in those places would be taught NOT to trash the rims when shipping them? How hard is it to keep them face up?

Advans, you are not giving proper advice, don't leave us Canadians out in the cold. The PROPER way imho is to have things shipped to a border town (eg Point Roberts, WA in this case). That way, Customs does not get their hands on it before the buyer takes delivery! They treat it as a domestic delivery, and the declared value is only used for insurance purposes. I've bought 2 sets of wheels this way and both times I simply picked up the wheels at the broker, paid my duties/taxes when coming back to Canada, and away I went.

My understanding of the miscommunication is that joy wanted advans to declare it as a gift for some reason, and advans decided to put $1USD without joy's consent. IMHO that's an honest mistake, however, one does wonder why joy wanted the wheels shipped as a gift for no reason. And if I may say so, joy is out of line if he expects advans to simply drop everything and stop modding his car. Advans is already trying his best, and most shippers DO take forever to sort out this kind of damage/claims crap. Been there.

That sucks, those were some nice looking rims. Hopefully the 2 of you gentlemen can work it out.

Last edited by slammer111; 11-11-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:50 PM

2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
Originally Posted by advans
... and I promise myself, and advise ALL other US mbworld members, to... never ship anything over to Canada, or international. ...
First let me say the situation you both are in really sucks.

But your experience shipping to Canada is not representitve of what usually happens when shipping from the US to Canada.

First of all, UPS is not the only shipping comany. Fedex is decent but honestly USPS is the best. They all operate different customs centers. There's also a whole bunch of other carriers (Greyhound, DHL, etc, etc).

You can be mad, but dont be surprised that customs checked your shipment. You shipped 4 rims accross the border and declared the value as $1. What weights a couple hundred pounds is worth $1? Nothing. Of course they opened the packages. If you had valued them at proper price, customs wouldnt have been so pissed. Im surprised they didn't confiscate them (they're fully allowed to).

The reason I'm pissed about your comment about not wanting to ship to Canada is because I buy stuff from the US all the time (eBay rating over 50, all stuff from the US). I'm sick of people who are not willing to ship to Canada because of problems like this.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:09 PM

2006 C55 AMG, 2010 Genesis Coupe
thanks for your input guys.

I'm still in the process of working things out with UPS and Gordon.

One thing is, when I buy used things on the forums, I assume I'll need to pay some "fix" to it.

I got my Multispokes off "MACHC5", I paid him $1050 for them, and I had to buy "Brand new tires" because according to him, "new" tires means low thread tires. I didn't say anything.

I'm just unhappy that I'll have to spit up extra for these stupid wheels. I did someone a favor and tried to make everyone happy. But I sold these wheels for $1100-5% paypal fee= $1045-$360+/- shipping charge (i got murdered for shipping charges...sigh)= $685, and cost of packaging. I'm pratically giving these out for free.

Now if I have to pay something out of my OWN pocket? thats insane. I'm just a seller, I'm not a vendor.
Just remember the old adage'No good deed goes unpunished"
I am not going to admonish your actions as 1 or both of you are going to be inconvenienced by it, and you have no recourse with customs.
Lesson learned by Advans and the other buyer.
I personally see no liability to Advans but I understand the buyers gripe. Problem is it isnt with Advans.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by nickgailloux

The reason I'm pissed about your comment about not wanting to ship to Canada is because I buy stuff from the US all the time (eBay rating over 50, all stuff from the US). I'm sick of people who are not willing to ship to Canada because of problems like this.
lol...there's nothing to be pissed about.

most of the people I've came across when ever I sold something are not willing to pay for the shipping let alone customs taxes. every time I get a inquiries about something I'm selling from International buyers the first thing they always make some ridiculous offer that includes shipping thinking they could get it shipped as little as possible knowing that International shipping for most large items are expensive.

I always responded with a simple "If you pay for shipping" and most of the time they back away.

of course, not saying that's always the case. There are smart buyers that has friends or family across the boarder which makes shipping for them a lot easier.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM

2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
Oh I should have mentioned earlier.. if you mark the shipment contents as "replacement parts" or "warranty replacment" you will not pay tax. You can still declare the actual value.

This works well for a lot of car parts. Not sure if it would fly for rims, but the worst that could happen is that they charge you anyways.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
^I personally will not ship out of the US, ever again.

Once I bought some old parts (forgot what it was) to Toronto, and a member picked it up from me there, that was fine with me.

I feel that sometimes, I go out of my way for members, just trying to be a nice guy, and they take advantage of me, then bite me in the ***.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63

I feel that sometimes, I go out of my way for members, just trying to be a nice guy, and they take advantage of me, then bite me in the ***.
Unfortunately, some people don't care what you do to help or that you gave them a deal. You do good and you are still the bad guy. Good luck to the both of you and hopefully you can work it out.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by kiamcoj
Unfortunately, some people don't care what you do to help or that you gave them a deal. You do good and you are still the bad guy. Good luck to the both of you and hopefully you can work it out.
And sometimes people do care...and return the favor first chance they get...

The trick is to try and recognize the bad guys and stay away from them.

GLASS HALF FULL GUYS....

Anyway...

Good luck to you both...I mean im sure a civilized telephone conversation should sort this mess out...Its a bunch of rims guys! Not the end of the world!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
^thanks Jon.

off topic. I thought you wanted vinyl!?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by jcnash
And sometimes people do care...and return the favor first chance they get...

The trick is to try and recognize the bad guys and stay away from them.

GLASS HALF FULL GUYS....

Anyway...

Good luck to you both...I mean im sure a civilized telephone conversation should sort this mess out...Its a bunch of rims guys! Not the end of the world!
True, I did say "some" .

^thanks Jon.

off topic. I thought you wanted vinyl!?
I do, but I thought you were going to drive down here and vinyl my car and then do Franks afterward . JK. I forgot that I asked for it and can't decide what I want to do since funds just went into buying another set of wheels, to be the Advans copy cat that I am.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:36 AM

2005 c320 4matic
this thread needs to be closed

both sides are becoming too bitter

posting here is asking for everyone to pick sides
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by kiamcoj
True, I did say "some" .

I do, but I thought you were going to drive down here and vinyl my car and then do Franks afterward . JK. I forgot that I asked for it and can't decide what I want to do since funds just went into buying another set of wheels, to be the Advans copy cat that I am.
no problem jon! lemme know whenever you want the vinyl, color, and size. I'll give you my cost price for em!

back to topic.
I'm gonna get a quote from my shop to refinish the wheels, without "mounting and balancing"
gonna try to work out a deal. but no way I'm paying vancouver cost.

that's like telling me to pay for Gas in Hong Kong, NO WAY.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:59 PM

2k2 c230 komp coupe
goodluck advans on the whole ordeal. this guys legit as can be dealt with him locally and cool as hell too!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
^thanks max!
Old 11-16-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Smile

Can't think of how much patience advans displays!!! Even the law says that, although in private parts can agree otherwise, costs have to be minimized and every court should rule so.

Taking advantage of incidental situations (specially for trying to bypass the custom duties law) is not reciprocating with the goodwill advans is showing.
Advans followed buyer's instructions to the best of his ability and did nothing wrong. He had no obligation to read your mind, understand it and pay the piper.

I find that most threads with opinions from Canadian parties are about high cost and abuses in Canada that drive them off their mind, but this is no excuse to take it with innocent bystanders. Luxury items are expensive, in some countries more than in others and when one plays naughty there are, sometimes, penalties one must learn from.

Get civil and fix this thing up once and for all, in private.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Input Please: Damaged Rims, Issue between, Advans, Joyofcola, UPS