C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

shaky brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63
shaky brakes

Does anybody knows what can provoke a shake in the steering wheel when I press the brake? It happen on 50-70 M/h, or better to say You can fell it. tire presur - ok, and all wheels are balnced and checked-ok.
Thank you
Old 11-24-2009, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Thickness variation in the rotors. Need to replace them or machine them if you don't have drilled rotors and sand the pads to a level surface or replace them if they're worn out.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 AM

2004.0 C230 Sedan
The most common culprit is warped rotors. This is an easy fix by replacing the rotors. It is generally tough to "turn" the rotors on our cars as they aren't very thick. Warped rotors will cause lots of shake with higher speeds, however the shake can usually be felt at all speeds (will be more of a pulse at lower speeds).

However you might be experiencing this brake shake due to bad control arm bushings and/or bad thrust arm bushings. If you are only feeling the shake between 50-70, but not at any other speeds, I think this is most likely your problem. I had this problem last year, and it was a nightmare to figure it out. My car would only shake when braking between 72-55, but it would not shake at higher or lower speeds.

Earlier generation W203's were designed with liquid filled bushings in the control arms and thrust arms. Once they "pop", all the liquid will leak out, and causes there to be play in your suspension. Brake shake at only certain highway speeds is generally the warning sign that you need to replace these bushings. The bushings are cheap (about 20-25 each, x4), but you will need to find a place that can press the bushings in, without charging you an arm and a leg. The new bushings that MB makes now are solid rubber, so this should just be a one time fix.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...need-help.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...otes-tips.html
Old 11-25-2009, 06:11 PM

07 E63
Thank you.
I will go check the rotors after hollyday, but I have my new bushing(corteco - OEM) on the shelf since june, I just don't have time to do that. They does'n leak, but are craked, didn't think they can provoke this vibration. Thank you for helpfull links.
appreciate your help guys.