C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Some gripes about my new C230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 08:01 PM
Bud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 ml320, 2002 C230K
Some gripes about my new C230

I just picked up a new C230K last week and below are some gripes. I do love the car and am really happy with it, there are just some annoying points. I will try to post the positives in a few days.

Anyone agree with any of these?

1. The inside mirror blocks the view to the forward-right. It literally takes up almost half of the vertical space between the headliner and the cowl, and 75% of the view from the center to the right a-pillar. It seems to me to block about 20% of the total view out the windshield.

2. As others have mentioned, the outside mirrors are way too small, almost useless. I don't trust them to show me anything.

3. The B piller is a PITA because it is right in the way when looking over your shoulder at the blind spot. You have to lean left and look around it to see if there's a car hiding there (for those time when you can't just power your way past whatever might be there).

4. No rear wiper. Anyone who's driven in the rain, snow, or after either knows it was stupid that MB didn't include one, no matter how much the aerodynamics are supposed to keep it clean. Maybe at 110mph on the autobahn it does, but not in US stop&go driving.

5.Cupholders are too small. It certainly holds a can OK, but not a large size fast food drink. The little tension tab is nice, so it's well engineered, but too narrow.

6. The homelink buttons on the mirror: I often end up moving the mirror trying to open the garage door. If you hold the top of the mirror with 4 fingers and press the button with your thumb it's OK, but to press the button with one finger ends up moving the mirror. They should have put the buttons up with the sunroof switch.

7. Gas tank doesn't fill easily. I've only put gas in it once (only have 350 miles on it), and I kept trying to pump more in and it kept kicking off, like 8 times, then when I drive away it was only 3/4 full.

8. I'm having a hard time starting off smoothly unless I let the clutch out really slowly. I seem to have to give it quite a bit more gas than other cars or I stall it. I'm getting better though. This is probably my 8th manual tranny car, so I'm not new to manual shifting.

9. The windshield header is really close. I worry that if I have to stop quick in an emergency that when I swing forward if I go upward at all I'll end up hitting my forhead on the rim of the sunroof opening.

10. The curved panel in the base of the hatch wierds me out when I look in the rear view mirror. Seeing the lane stripes curve in at an angle just freaks me out. I had to adjust the inside mirror so I only look out the main rear window and don't see the lower, curved panel.

11. The 4-way/emergency flashers triangle in the center of the dash is way too bright.

Last edited by Bud; 01-30-2002 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:03 PM
benzomonterey

I can really only agree about the cupholder
Old 01-29-2002, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Some gripes about my new C230

1-3 To summarize, I would say that this is the worst car that I've owned as far as visibility is concerned. But then again, I have a gut feeling that once I learn its dimensions well enough, this feeling will subside. I had only had sedans prior to this one.

4. No comment, as I haven't had a chance to perform a field test The weather here in DC area has been nearly perfect since I got the car.

5. This is a Euro car - what do you expect? over 75% of all cars in U-rup are manual, so the very idea of eating and drinking in a car is foreign to most Europeans...

6. No comment.

7. Looks like you've got the same problem I have - it's not the tank, it's the fuel level sensor. Mine also reads 3/4 of a tank when full. Contact your dealer and make an appointment. This problem has been reported by many on this board. By no means try to top off the tank - this can cause some bad problems.

8. Give it some time and a couple of thousand miles It'll loosen up. I'm still having the same problem (to a lesser degree now) after nearly 800 miles on the clock. When I test drove a demo Coupe at a local dealer's, I did much better that I'm doing now, although back then it was my first time to drive the Coupe. It had well over a 1000 miles on the odo. This explains it all, I guess.

9. Try lowering your seat... I'm 6'0'', and also noticed that my hair was touching the headliner...

10. I did the same, as I use the plastic window only when backing up.

Last edited by vadim; 01-30-2002 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
#7 sounds like a problem with the gas pump you were using. There is no sensor in the car that kicks off the pump....the pump does it on its own when there is sufficient back pressure. You need to find a "happy spot" for some gas pump nozzles and some are more touchy than others and need reduced flow rate to work with your car unattended.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:14 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
the engage point or sweet spot (don't know what to call it) does seems coming on a bit early and not gradual enough. Comparing to the other manual cars I had. Takes a little get used to.
Old 01-30-2002, 12:05 AM

w203 c230K 2002
1. How close are you sitting, with the seat back and down the car can accommodate a 6'6" driver. For the rear view mirror to block 20% of the windshield you must be very close. I under stand that the proper distance from the wheel is if you can comfortably place you’re wrests crossed on the top of the wheel with both arms extended.
2. It might be that they are just different from what you are used to. I have no problem with them.
3. See #2
4. The rear window clears at a much lower speed that 110 mph more like 30 or 35 mph. In stop and go traffic, it really does not pose a problem the view does not change very often.
5. –
6. –
7. When the pump stops don’t attempt to top it off, if you spiff fuel into the vacuum canister it will cause the engine light to come on. I have a problem with the gas cap holder it should be easier to place and remove the cap.
8. –
9. Check seat adjustment
10. I like it gives me a wide angle view out the back.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:56 AM

SLC 43, E53
i think these things grow on you after a while.....the more you drive it the more you love the car....it is different than most and is not like the common car......isn't that one of the reasons you got it...i have only had mine for a month but it seems that the more i drive it the more i get used to the adjustments that have to be made for blind spots`etc etc...
Old 01-31-2002, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by mleskovar
#7 sounds like a problem with the gas pump you were using. There is no sensor in the car that kicks off the pump....the pump does it on its own when there is sufficient back pressure. You need to find a "happy spot" for some gas pump nozzles and some are more touchy than others and need reduced flow rate to work with your car unattended.
The pump stops when it's supposed to - when the tank is full. The problem is that the fuel gauge is showing 3/4 of a tank instead of a full tank.

BTW, it doesn't matter what pump is used - the behavior persists.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:15 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Bud, did you test drive the C230 before buying one? Had I taken a test drive and noticed your concerns about the close headliner, line of sight around the mirror, B-pillar, distorted hatch view, etc, I would have quickly eliminated the Coupe from purchase consideration.

In fact, when I first drove a W202 in 1999, I quickly took a pass on it because I felt the door and B-pillar pressed my shoulder too much. (Too tight) So then I drove a Corvette where I was really put off by the close headliner position. I'm glad I gave the W203 a shot when it came out in 2001, as I have none of these issues in my C320.

I'm 6'0" tall, and can't say I have any problems with the headliner and mirror. I have a sedan, so my B-pillar is further forward than in the Coupe and not a blind spot for me. You must be quite tall?

You said you would be writing an equally long list of the reasons why you love the car. I hope you do so soon, before the negative vibes in your first list take over. You need both lists to balance the pros and cons of any car purchase. I've not seen the perfect car, yet.
Old 01-31-2002, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
1. I haven't had a problem with this. I use two of the power seat memory settings depending on the type of driving and both are set pretty low.

2. The first time I pulled out of the dealer lot I was horrified by the lack of visablity from the outside mirrors. I was used to a Ford Ranger that had enormous side mirrors twice the size of the MB's. I must have cut off 3 or 4 cars while changing lanes. Once I got on the highway I adjusted to mirrors to the blind spot (I have to lean waaaaay to the side in order to see the door handle in the mirror) and now I'm fine.

3. See #2

4. Can't comment on this yet.

5. The cup holders are small. I don't eat fast food though. They are just big enough, so far, for everything I've had to put in there (wife's Dunkin Donuts medium and Poland Springs sport bottle).

6. I agree. I use the "4 finger/thumb on button" method exclusively. It doesn't bother me the 2 or 4 times a day I use it.

7. You probably have the gas guage bug as stated in a previous post. My salesman noticed this on my car on delivery and ordered the part. I filled up today and the gauge got up to 7/8. A record! Well, it's only the 3rd fillup...

8. Compared to my wife's Accord 5sp, I start of much smoother in the C230K. Torque is your friend here. It has started to get a little jerky now with 600 miles though. It may be the break-in or that my style has changed. I only stalled once in reverse and don't have to rev it nearly as much as the Honda. My wife almost stalled it once and the computer threw up a battery malfunction untill we restarted. 3 thru 6 are "like buttahhh". I think the C7 shift linkage is improved. Still waiting for confirmation on this. I can't remember the non-C7 shifter.

9. See #1. My hair brushes against the headliner if I lean all the way forward. I'm 5'-6". In the driving position I have plenty of room.

10. I too only use the lower window for parking.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
geez....all those gripes and you still bought the car ???

Post the LIKES about it soon to see your reasons for buying the C230.