C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

WHITE STAR Flat Badges back in stock! NEW AMG Flat Badge Now Available!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by tommy
I still think you need to develop one for the coupe. It would look much better than the stock version. Come on - don't you want a summer project? It's too hot in TX to go outside anyway.
tommy, take off that plastic badge, drill out and shape a hole in the divot to match the sedan template, and then one of my badges will fit perfectly on your Smurfmobile.

It's the best I can suggest for a model no longer sold in the US, and it will make yours the only Coupe in the country (actually the entire planet) with one of my flat badges... back at ya, bro!
Old 07-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240
Originally Posted by DFWdude
tommy, take off that plastic badge, drill out and shape a hole in the divot to match the sedan template, and then one of my badges will fit perfectly on your Smurfmobile.

It's the best I can suggest for a model no longer sold in the US, and it will make yours the only Coupe in the country (actually the entire planet) with one of my flat badges... back at ya, bro!
you got mail
Old 07-24-2010, 12:45 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport, 1990 Jaguar XJS V12
I received my badge from DFWdude and the quality is outstanding!!! His communication with his customers are impeccable! Thank you for such a great product, I get my car back tonight as I am having a custom sound system installed, as well as other goodies that I ordered for a car.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
quality is great...just watch out for that white star will fade to yellow if its not taken care of...
Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by maverik259
quality is great...just watch out for that white star will fade to yellow if its not taken care of...
In switching to the new factory, the current production stars were specified to use white cloissone paint that will not discolor in the sun. Too early to tell if this is truly the case. But I have one sitting on a test stand in the sun since January, and it is not fading.

For those who have a yellowing issue, simply use some Mother's Mag Wheel Polish to buff the white paint (only) back to its white appearance. Works well, I'm told. I say this, because my car sits in a garage, both at home and at work, and my own star has not changed color in the hot Texas sun in 4 years.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-28-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by H8TKTZ
I received my badge from DFWdude and the quality is outstanding!!! His communication with his customers are impeccable! Thank you for such a great product, I get my car back tonight as I am having a custom sound system installed, as well as other goodies that I ordered for a car.
H8TKTZ, thanks for the kind words. I strive to provide immediate and thorough service, so appreciate when someone recognizes it! You've made my day.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
You're easy to please.

Give me a couple weeks, and I'll paypal you the money for my badge. Hopefully, we'll crack that coupe cherry.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Thanks, tommy.

Occasionally I get this question in e-mail, but three people have asked about it this week alone. So I thought I would clarify here.

You do NOT have to be a member of MBWorld.org in order to purchase one of my badges. All Guests and members are welcome to inquire.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SLK 55 AMG
In switching to the new factory, the current production stars were specified to use white cloissone paint that will not discolor in the sun. Too early to tell if this is truly the case. But I have one sitting on a test stand in the sun since January, and it is not fading.

For those who have a yellowing issue, simply use some Mother's Mag Wheel Polish to buff the white paint (only) back to its white appearance. Works well, I'm told. I say this, because my car sits in a garage, both at home and at work, and my own star has not changed color in the hot Texas sun in 4 years.

My first edition white star turned into a light limestone yellow in less than 2 months of Davis Summer Sun. Lol.
I would assume Texas and other parts of the world are hotter / see more sun, but you just said your car stays in the garage. Haha.
After work in the lab from 10am~5pm, my car being parked in sun/shade, depending on parking, would read anywhere from 105~122F... That's... Hot.

So the new star you have do not discolor at all? Since you said it uses some sort of 'special' paint.
Since you started since January until now (summer already), and it hasn't discolored:

Are you going to warranty yellowing on the new stars?

Haha.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by iJimpanzee
So the new star you have do not discolor at all? Since you said it uses some sort of 'special' paint.
Since you started since January until now (summer already), and it hasn't discolored:

Are you going to warranty yellowing on the new stars?
I'm not sure how to answer this question. The headliner in my C320 is falling down above the rear seats (I'm embarrassed to seat anyone back there now) and my suspension bushings are squeaking... MBUSA will not warranty either of these problems, either.

With proper care, your WHITE STAR Flat Badge should not discolor. Like any other part of your car, the badge requires proper cleaning periodically to keep it looking as new. The Mother's Mag Wheel Polish treatment has been openly discussed in these threads for years, now. So it's no secret.

I can warranty that the badge is assembled correctly and won't come apart. But I can't warranty its lifelong appearance. Some of you will keep your cars for 20 years, while others lease the car for only two.

There are now more than 420 WHITE STAR Badges in circulation. To date, I have received just THREE memos from customers with concerns about discoloring. If this "problem" were widespread, I think I would have received more than 3 complaints.

My badges sit on hoods in the US, UK, Australia, Dominican Republic, Canada, Japan, Sweden and Norway, Indonesia, South Africa, Czech Republic, Chile, Brazil and dozens of other places. There are too many variables in climate, road conditions, and user care habits to contemplate how my badges look over time. Some climates have abundant acid rain, others don't. Some locations have brutally hot sun, others very little. Some locations use harsh deicing chemicals in winter. Some owners hand wash their cars weekly and give care to my badge, while others use mechanical car washes, frequently or only when needed. Some give the badge no care at all (not suggesting you are among them).

As a precautionary measure, I specified the factory manufacturing my custom inserts use an "automotive grade paint that won't fade in the sun." I trust they have complied with my request, but can not guarantee they have. My test sample is nailed to a fence in my back yard exposed to daily sun and rain, etc. It gets no care at all (on purpose) and has not changed appearance to date. That's all I know.

Maybe I'm being too defensive in answering your question, but I do take immense pride in my work, and try to improve the product at each opportunity. I know from experience that people admire my products differently. Some like the pristine white look, while I've actually handled e-mails from owners wanting to cultivate the "antique white" appearance, because they think it's classy. This is not how I would like to see my product appear on a car, but I don't control that, either.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-31-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I have one of the very first white star badges on my car, and it remains white years later. I make sure to rub a sudsy wash cloth over the white star at every car wash (I still wash by hand).

I've tried the Mothers chrome wheel polish occassionally, but I don't see any difference afterwards. Can't do any harm, of course, but I don't think it's needed... in my case. Your results will vary, as conditions are so different around the country as DFWdude noted.

BTW, I garage my C320 every night, but it does sit in the sun during the day at work.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:43 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
I hope I did not come off in any way disrespectful Rob.
That was not my intention at all.
Your stars are ,

I hand-wash my car about once a month.
Or whenever I come back from Davis to San Francisco, for a weekend visit of the parents, where I can wash it outside my garage.

The flat badge gets no real 'attention' other than a hand-wipe with a soapy microfiber towel during those washes, as it doesn't really get dirty.
I don't think to have to do a full detail procedure on the star *shrug*

Light LimeStone Yellow may be too deep a discoloration description.
I'd say it's like a fine Ivory yellowing. Haha.
But it's definitely not as White as it once was.
I guess it's a unique discoloration.
iirc (i'm in china) there's a slight white vein in the star, so it's like a jade-esque-like ivory piece. Lol.

No complaints. Just what I've noticed.
Car sees like.. no sun in SF. Just lots of fog I guess.
And Davis weather mostly. So a dry heat.

Hoping my relatives successfully immigrate out and fly out with me by next month, so I can convince them to purchase an E63 in the states.
Then I'll pick up the new 'White Star' *I'll shoot you an email*

Do you happen to know if they fit all the same?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
No offense taken, iJimpanzee. Although all the "hahas" and emoticons had me guessing at first.

I appreciate the added information concerning your car. It might help me understand why a few (VERY FEW) get the effect, while the neighbor next door doesn't. I agree you shouldn't have to spend lots of time to "detail" the star. But periodic attention is not too much to ask.

As for the W212 AMG, my White Star or AMG Badges will fit just fine. All these cars use the same upright star base, so the hood divots are all the same. Here's a picture on a W212...

Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 AM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
No offense taken, iJimpanzee. Although all the "hahas" and emoticons had me guessing at first.

I appreciate the added information concerning your car. It might help me understand why a few (VERY FEW) get the effect, while the neighbor next door doesn't. I agree you shouldn't have to spend lots of time to "detail" the star. But periodic attention is not too much to ask.

As for the W212 AMG, my White Star or AMG Badges will fit just fine. All these cars use the same upright star base, so the hood divots are all the same. Here's a picture on a W212...

Thanks. to you once again.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

OK, dude - just paypal'ed you the money. Where's my badge?

Just wanted to do it before any bodywork starts on the car, so the shop can throw it in, and I'd also like to take a look at it beforehand as well to see what mods would be required.

Obviously I'd want the white star one, by the way - there are enough faux AMG cars out there already.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Got it - very impressive quality. I'm definitely going to have to get it to work on the coupey.

Last edited by tommy; 08-08-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: because
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM

'02 C230k coupe OB
Hey tommy, what body work are you talking about? Would love to see some pics when its all done (if all goes well). Maybe i'll even catch you riding by on RTE 17?
Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by blackm3talhindu
Hey tommy, what body work are you talking about? Would love to see some pics when its all done (if all goes well). Maybe i'll even catch you riding by on RTE 17?
The coupe has a much simpler design on the badge - it's two prongs inserted into two holes in the badge recess (a DP of sorts). The sedan has cutouts instead and a much more difficult approach (I guess coupe owners were not expected to be as smart? - obviously, the reverse is true). DFW had sent me some pics that explain this better; with his permission, I'll post them here.

Basically, what would have to be done would be that the hood would need to be cut to allow for the wings on the sedan badge. For a professional, I'm sure it's no biggie, which is why I will leave it to them. I've got some rust on the front of my passenger rear wheelwell, so I'll probably have the badge install done at the same time when I take it in next month (Bergen Imports in Cliffside Park - they do excellent work).

My car's pretty unique - shouldn't be hard to pick me out of the 17 traffic.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by tommy
The coupe has a much simpler design on the badge - it's two prongs inserted into two holes in the badge recess (a DP of sorts). The sedan has cutouts instead and a much more difficult approach (I guess coupe owners were not expected to be as smart? - obviously, the reverse is true). DFW had sent me some pics that explain this better; with his permission, I'll post them here.
No need for permission. Here are the hood divots side by side, sedan on left, coupe on the right...

The diameter and depth of the divots are the same from one hood to the other. The challenge is to cut the mounting hole in the coupe's divot to match that of the sedan, so that the sedan-based, WHITE STAR Flat Badge will drop through the hood so the lock will work on the coupe.

For this reason, I promote my badges for the W203 Sedan only. They can be fitted to the Coupe, and it would be a very unique mod. But it requires tools, skills, and attention to detail, etc. Of course, you are on your own if you want to do this.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
There aren't many good photos yet of my new AMG badge on cars, so here is one. It shows a nice contrast between the AMG badge and the stock grille badge. This is important for those seeking to avoid the "double badge" look.

Of course, most people are primarilly interested in losing the upright star... and the uniqueness of the AMG Badge... there are less than 30 of the AMG Badge on the planet as of today.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Got mines in last week, thanks man. Looks fantastic, makes the car look a little sportier.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
I also purchased a White Star several months ago, must say the quality on it is absolutely top notch and better than any badge I've seen before. It's a work of art and wonderfully crafted.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Thanks, guys.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
The Sun was at the right angle and intensity today, so I took some new photos of my products...

Also, here are the installation instructions...

Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for the installation instructions pics; that will help with the body shop - am hoping to take the car there within the next couple of weeks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: WHITE STAR Flat Badges back in stock! NEW AMG Flat Badge Now Available!