C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2005 C230 headlamp replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 230 Kompressor
2005 C230 headlamp replacement

I recently had to replace the low beam lamps on my wife's car. It seemed like a pretty straight forward operation..... but now the low beams are totaly worthless.... I can literally see 50% better just by turning on a turn signal. I thought at first that the NAPA replacements were the issue, but bought 2 more from the MB dealer, changed them and saw no improvement at all. For want of a better description, it is like the light is "fragmenting" instead of shining where it belows. I don't believe it is an adjustment problem however. I do suspect that it has something to do with the way I'm installing them. They seem to go in ok, the lock ring turns and they seem to lock in place correctly but I am obviously missing/doing something wrong. I did a search but didn't find anything that answers my problem. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 PM

09 E350 W4M
The lights are not seated properly in the headlight. I've managed to the same thing as you the first time I changed my bulbs, exactly the same as your description re: fragmented light. To test if you've truly sat the bulbs correctly try to grab on the wire harness and gently shake the bulb base while still locked in position by the ring. If it is not sat properly it will come out of the headlight with slight effort even without turning the ring.

The best way to do this is to either have someone or yourself shine a bright flight light from the front in to the headlight assembly, then try to align the indent on the light bulb surround up and go strait in to the headlight assembly. If the rings locks with little effort and the the bulb passes the giggle test I mentioned above, you're good to go and you can immediately see the light has the correct pattern.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:42 PM

09 E350 W4M
Here I found a link to the photo of the bulb:

So you want to insert the bulb in so that the prongs are horizontal and the single indent is at 12 o'clock (precisely opposite of what the photo shows with the indent at 6 o'clock). Just GENTLY mess around with it while either wearing clean vinyl/nitrile/latex gloves and get in there. When you can easily lock the ring with only a slight resistance then you've hit jackpot. If you have to force the ring you probably didn't do it right.

BTW, have you considered upgrading to Sylvania Xtravision? They burn a tad hotter than standards so they are just a tad brighter, the trade off is a slightly reduced life but still far more life than SilverStar Ultra or the GE NightHawk Platinum. If you want the ultimate halogen go for the GE NightHawk Platinum which are noticeably brighter than SilverStar Ultra that I tested myself:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/328145-sylvania-silver-star-ultra-vs-ge-nighthawk-platinum.html

Last edited by payam81; 12-19-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:20 PM

C 230 Kompressor
Thanks for the speedy response, I'll give it a try in the morning. I had a feeling it was something like that.