C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Camera for G Class Command

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Camera for G Class Command

Has anyone using a G Class Command unit actually hooked up the rear view camera? I don't need it, but since I'm going to have everything apart I think it'd just be cool to have one hooked up. I found a pretty good deal on a G Class unit so I jumped on it. I also need to get the antenna for it, which looked like I need the antenna itself and some sort of jumper wire. Does anyone know where that antenna needs to be mounted under the dash? I couldn't find that in me searching.

Last edited by 91RS; 12-25-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by 91RS
Has anyone using a G Class Command unit actually hooked up the rear view camera? I don't need it, but since I'm going to have everything apart I think it'd just be cool to have one hooked up. I found a pretty good deal on a G Class unit so I jumped on it. I also need to get the antenna for it, which looked like I need the antenna itself and some sort of jumper wire. Does anyone know where that antenna needs to be mounted under the dash? I couldn't find that in me searching.
Yes, I have the G class comand with rear view camera added. Works perfectly.
The Kenwood CCD-2000 is generally considered to be the closest camera to OEM. Most of the guys on the W204 forum use it for their cars. The antenna can be mounted behind the gauge cluster (have to remove the cluster) or it can be mounted right under the dash in the area above the switch bank (hazard switch). You will have access to this area when you install the comand unit so it's the easiest location. I wrapped my antenna in double sided tape, made sure it was facing up, and then stuffed it between the top of the dash and one of the HVAC ducts. Just put it to the side so it isn't under the metal mesh in the center of the dash. I get a great signal that way, same as those who have it installed behind the cluster.

This is the antenna I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GPS-ANTENNA-FAKR...item33582c8ed8
Old 12-26-2009, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, that better be the best one with that price tag. I just need to find the adapter I saw in one of the W204 thread to connect it to the radio?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you remember what color the camera connector was on your unit? I just recieved mine today and I've only got a blue, black, and an olive colored one. I'm pretty sure the black one is radio antenna and blue is GPS antenna but I don't know about the last one. I ordered the RCA to FAKRA connector from Midcity Engineering and I think we assumed the G class radio would be green like the W204 and this one isn't. So I may have a problem, this thing better have the backup camera since I've already spent a bunch of money on the camera.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Do you remember what color the camera connector was on your unit? I just recieved mine today and I've only got a blue, black, and an olive colored one. I'm pretty sure the black one is radio antenna and blue is GPS antenna but I don't know about the last one. I ordered the RCA to FAKRA connector from Midcity Engineering and I think we assumed the G class radio would be green like the W204 and this one isn't. So I may have a problem, this thing better have the backup camera since I've already spent a bunch of money on the camera.
The $25 price tag for that GPS antenna is not expensive!
It is a direct plug in.

The reverse camera input on that unit does not use a standard connector. Two of the pins connect to the camera. You will have to make or find yourself a connector. There are a few threads around here (one with my name in it if it helps you search) that mention which pins to connect.

The "olive" colored FAKRA connector is also for the antenna. Antenna has 2 connectors. Blue is indeed GPS.

Can you please post photos of your camera installation? I'm interested to see how that goes as I had to cut, and then reseal the metal body of the trunk lid in order to recess the camera far enough that it looks stock. Without doing that the camera stuck out too far. It was not a particularly easy mod.

Last edited by acr2001; 12-30-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No I meant the camera was expensive. I did some quick searching but I didn't see anything on that connector (I may have missed it). Is the camera connector the one on the top with 3 pins in it or is in part of the main connector?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
No I meant the camera was expensive. I did some quick searching but I didn't see anything on that connector (I may have missed it). Is the camera connector the one on the top with 3 pins in it or is in part of the main connector?
Ah sorry, believe it or not that camera was the cheapest I could find of the name brands. But there are knockoffs on ebay that sell for muuuch cheaper. It is a very good camera though, works great in darkness even with only the light of the reverse lights.

I was able to search and find the info - you need to connect to pins 1 and 7 (I forget which of the two main connectors this is but it will be obvious when you look at the back of the unit as the pins are numbered.

They are the same pins used in many devices like older IDE hard drives, so fashioning a connector shouldn't be too hard if you have the right old computer parts lying around. Don't ask me which pin is ground as I honestly don't remember - but you can figure that out with a multimeter or by simple trial and error - connecting it backwards wont cause damage.

Also, if you connect anything to that video input and power it from an external power source (such as a laptop) you will *not* get any signal on the COMAND unit. It will only show a signal if your device is grounded through the cars electrical system.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I went ahead and took my stock radio out even though I don't have any of the other parts yet to make sure the new one works and didn't get tore up by UPS. The screen does go black when I put it in reverse like it should. I think I see what you're saying about the connector, it looks to me like I'll be using the pins where there isn't a connector present in the main connector, just a hole. I also see what you're saying about the computer like pins, what's funny is I just trashed an old case about a month ago that I could have used the front panel connector from now! However, I'm also installing the factory iPod kit, so maybe the jumper harness is going to have all the wires in it and I can just cut the jumper wires and use those. I'll figure it out, that'll be the easy part. Like you said, the hard part is going to be mounting the camera. I'm going to do like what one of the W204 guys did and leave all the camera wiring in the back and power it off the rear SAM and then get a long RCA cable to run up front. Maybe I can take a look at the amp while I'm back there, I'm still deciding if I want to put my Infinity system from my old car in the new car but Harmon Kardon is making it difficult. I will keep this thread updated so this can help someone in the future. I think these super 2000+ post threads make is extreamly difficult to find information.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
I went ahead and took my stock radio out even though I don't have any of the other parts yet to make sure the new one works and didn't get tore up by UPS. The screen does go black when I put it in reverse like it should. I think I see what you're saying about the connector, it looks to me like I'll be using the pins where there isn't a connector present in the main connector, just a hole. I also see what you're saying about the computer like pins, what's funny is I just trashed an old case about a month ago that I could have used the front panel connector from now! However, I'm also installing the factory iPod kit, so maybe the jumper harness is going to have all the wires in it and I can just cut the jumper wires and use those. I'll figure it out, that'll be the easy part. Like you said, the hard part is going to be mounting the camera. I'm going to do like what one of the W204 guys did and leave all the camera wiring in the back and power it off the rear SAM and then get a long RCA cable to run up front. Maybe I can take a look at the amp while I'm back there, I'm still deciding if I want to put my Infinity system from my old car in the new car but Harmon Kardon is making it difficult. I will keep this thread updated so this can help someone in the future. I think these super 2000+ post threads make is extreamly difficult to find information.
Yes, you got it - the pins you need to tap are where that opening in the harness is. Black screen when in reverse is just what you should be seeing.

I wired mine the same way you mentioned. There is a bolt back there that you can ground to. Buy an add-a-fuse kit and plug it into one of the open locations on the rear SAM - just make sure it's one of the locations that powers on and off with the car. Some of them are constant power. Also, I wired the 'reverse wire' (or whatever they call the wire that turns the camera on and off) to the main power coming into the camera. This way the camera is always on and you don't have to tap into a reverse light. The amount of power it uses is minuscule so I don't really see the need to switch it on in reverse. If you do all the wiring like this you won't have to make any modifications to the factory wiring and it will be completely reversible.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Alright, cool. I probably won't get this done until next weekend since I probably won't see my iPod kit until Tuesday or Wednesday since the seller used the slowest possible method. I will definately post pictures on how I mount the camera.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've got the Comand "installed" (just sitting in the hole!) and the camera is installed and working (just not connected to the Comand unit yet). I was bored so I drug a small TV outside to test the camera and went ahead and installed it. I made my cut through the license plate applique but not through the body. I don't have the patience for that, plus I really didn't want to risk the possibility of a water leak. It hangs down a little low, but it isn't that noticeable. I still haven't recieved my iPod kit nor the GPS antenna so my dash continues to stay apart. So here's what I've got so far:

Comand:

Camera install:

Here's the camera wire going through the hole, I wrapped the wire in tape to prevent chaffing and to help in resealing the hole to prevent water leaks. I just put clear RTV around it.

And the disaster of modification:

Last edited by 91RS; 01-04-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
The disaster could have been worse, I ended up taking the entire trunk liner out (but I was also installing the phone system).

To be honest I don't like how visible the camera is, but like you said - cutting through the metal isn't exactly fun. I repainted the exposed metal to prevent rust and then sealed it with expanding foam insulation. All of which is hidden when the license plate surround goes back on. Since the cut-out is facing down it's not very likely to leak. I wish I had taken pictures during the process. It was quite a pain, had to create a bracket to hold he camera since it's partially inside the trunk. I created a seal out of black caulking on the outside so it looks fairly stock.

By the way - you're going to get an SRS warning if you turn the key with the upper switch row disconnected.

Last edited by acr2001; 01-04-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I actually did have the trunk liner of the left side kinda pulled out, I was going to take it all the way out but I decided I'd just stick my hands in there from the back side (I really like the fold down seats in this car that my 06 C230 didn't have).

You're car is silver so the camera is more noticeable against silver, I may have done the same thing as you if my car were silver. I'm happy with it, plus I kinda wanted to make it so that I wouldn't have any issues getting the license plate applique off again if I ever needed to.

I've actually been driving around with it apart since Thursday and haven't gotten any new errors. I suppose it'll go well with the ESP fault I've been getting.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I actually did have the trunk liner of the left side kinda pulled out, I was going to take it all the way out but I decided I'd just stick my hands in there from the back side (I really like the fold down seats in this car that my 06 C230 didn't have).

You're car is silver so the camera is more noticeable against silver, I may have done the same thing as you if my car were silver. I'm happy with it, plus I kinda wanted to make it so that I wouldn't have any issues getting the license plate applique off again if I ever needed to.

I've actually been driving around with it apart since Thursday and haven't gotten any new errors. I suppose it'll go well with the ESP fault I've been getting.
lol are you getting any comments in parking lots or anything? when i was installing my xm and command i had the center console totally apart and the front bumper cover was off for another reason. i got some funny looks
Old 01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic

Good point about the paint color.
No SRS warning? I'm surprised... Usually the system gets angry during the self check when it doesn't detect the passenger airbag light.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by samaritrey
lol are you getting any comments in parking lots or anything? when i was installing my xm and command i had the center console totally apart and the front bumper cover was off for another reason. i got some funny looks
I was doing it in my garage, so only the neighbors can see!

Originally Posted by acr2001
Good point about the paint color.
No SRS warning? I'm surprised... Usually the system gets angry during the self check when it doesn't detect the passenger airbag light.
It probably still has 5,000 codes set for it not being there. I'm sure the dealer will have fun with that when I get in for the ESP fault.

Still nothing on my iPod kit and GPS antenna...
Old 01-06-2010, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The iPod kit showed up today and it does have wires in place for the terminals for the backup camera since this kit is for more than just the C-Class I think. So I just cut them and attached my female RCA plug to it and ran my wiring and it works like a champ. STILL no GPS antenna so my console stays apart.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C280 4Matic
It would be so great if you guys post a video of how things work together once they are installed. I am really interested to see how the ipod, bluetooth, reverse cam, and Comand unit work together. My brothers Audi has the media package and all of these things work so well with each other. The iPod playlists show on the screen, all of the contacts(iphone) get loaded into the car, reverse cam and distance sensor work great. His reverse cam also shows the direction the car is going as you turn the wheel which is nice but not necessary.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by purplecones
It would be so great if you guys post a video of how things work together once they are installed. I am really interested to see how the ipod, bluetooth, reverse cam, and Comand unit work together. My brothers Audi has the media package and all of these things work so well with each other. The iPod playlists show on the screen, all of the contacts(iphone) get loaded into the car, reverse cam and distance sensor work great. His reverse cam also shows the direction the car is going as you turn the wheel which is nice but not necessary.
The ipod does not show *anything* on the comand unit (even on the W204 I believe). All of the ipod info shows up on the gauge cluster display. Just more laziness from Mercedes.

Bluetooth works as you would expect. To connect a phone for the first time you hold down the little Mercedes logo on the bluetooth puck inside the upper center console. You enter the password on the sticker into your phone. The radio and gauge cluster show your phone book (you can make calls through the steering wheel too). Caller ID shows up on both screens also. Phone book/recent calls list is automatically copied over from your phone. The phone auto connects whenever you unlock the car and phone calls will automatically transfer to the car if you are already on the phone as you get into the car. If you're on a phone call and you turn off the ignition, the comand unit will remain on until you hang up. You can transfer calls from the car back to the phone by holding down the TEL button.

Reverse cam turns on whenever you are in reverse and fills the entire screen.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 PM

2007 C280 4Matic
which COMAND unit is newer? The MCS-II or the NTG 2.5? I always thought the MCS-II was the newer model but from other forums I see that the NTG 2.5 has more features and the UI looks better. Can someone maybe clarify these things?
Is the COMAND APS another model? Would a NTG 2.5 fit in the w203 '07?
Old 01-29-2010, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
which COMAND unit is newer? The MCS-II or the NTG 2.5? I always thought the MCS-II was the newer model but from other forums I see that the NTG 2.5 has more features and the UI looks better. Can someone maybe clarify these things?
Is the COMAND APS another model? Would a NTG 2.5 fit in the w203 '07?
NTG 2.5 is newer and FAR superior. It was never designed to work in the W203 - unless you count the CLC unit. If you can find a unit that fits properly (I believe the G class unit and the CLC unit fit) then it *SHOULD* work fine in the W203, but NONE of the items currently on your MOST loop will work. That means if you have HK audio you will no longer have any audio. If you have Sirius you will need a new receiver. If you have a CD changer you can toss it since one is built in. There is a thread all about this, a member did the upgrade on a pre 05 W203 so it was much more work that you don't have to do. With the NTG 2.5 the bluetooth is built in, so you don't need the puck or the MHI module. It's also got a 6 DVD/CD changer built in.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 PM

2007 C280 4Matic
Originally Posted by acr2001
NTG 2.5 is newer and FAR superior. It was never designed to work in the W203 - unless you count the CLC unit. If you can find a unit that fits properly (I believe the G class unit and the CLC unit fit) then it *SHOULD* work fine in the W203, but NONE of the items currently on your MOST loop will work. That means if you have HK audio you will no longer have any audio. If you have Sirius you will need a new receiver. If you have a CD changer you can toss it since one is built in. There is a thread all about this, a member did the upgrade on a pre 05 W203 so it was much more work that you don't have to do. With the NTG 2.5 the bluetooth is built in, so you don't need the puck or the MHI module. It's also got a 6 DVD/CD changer built in.
so if I get my hands on a G-Class ntg 2.5 then I don't need to install any bluetooth puck which saves me money. How does the ntg work with the wheel buttons and the instr cluster?

Eh, none of that really matters since I do have HK audio and you're saying I will lose all the sound. There must be a way around it.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
so if I get my hands on a G-Class ntg 2.5 then I don't need to install any bluetooth puck which saves me money. How does the ntg work with the wheel buttons and the instr cluster?

Eh, none of that really matters since I do have HK audio and you're saying I will lose all the sound. There must be a way around it.
As I understand it, it will plug and play with a 2005 or newer cluster and steering wheel.

Good luck getting around the HK issue. You could either get the amp for the W204, which probably wont work well with your speakers since it isn't designed for them.

OR you could install your own amp and wiring from the NTG 2.5 audio output. You would have to run the wires to the trunk.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:51 PM

2007 C280 4Matic
damn lol, I have never done anything like this so I am in no way qualified to do an amp install. I'll probably end up getting the MCS II and little by little add the bluetooth and ipod kit
Old 03-06-2010, 09:42 AM

W203 C200K-2003
I did a similar installation just before last Xmass and I did not like the way the camera was sticking out on top of the plate.
So after many experiment and patience, I came with a much better solution.
The camera is not a CCD type but it gives excellent color image heven in the dark without IR illumination.
Chek the link http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/elect...ot-hendle.html

Last edited by hercules; 03-06-2010 at 12:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Camera for G Class Command