C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Dumb question about all weather mats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
Dumb question about all weather mats

I am putting on the all-weather mats (MB OEM rubber ones) in my wife's C230. Are you supposed to leave the regular carpet mat in, and put the all-weather mat on top? Or are you supposed to use the all-weather in place of the regular mats?

The all-weather mats came with alligator clips. In the instruction, it says to anchor the clips to the carpet, but it was not clear whether it is the regular carpet mat, or the floor carpet.

Dumb question, but insight will be much appreciated
Old 01-17-2010, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
You are suppose to take them out so they can snap into the floor anchors. You don't want your wife getting her mat stuck behind the accelerator like that other lady did and killed herself. :O
Old 01-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E250 Bluetec 2002 CL55, 2000 430CLK Cab
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
You are suppose to take them out so they can snap into the floor anchors. You don't want your wife getting her mat stuck behind the accelerator like that other lady did and killed herself. :O
Depends on the Wife
Old 01-17-2010, 10:05 PM

R350
The new mats are not compatible with the anchors used by the original carpet mats... they do not have the holes.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:06 PM

R350
Originally Posted by paul65k
Depends on the Wife
Lol...

But seriously, I definitely would not want the mat to become a safety hazard, another reason why I posted the question
Old 01-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C230WZ SS Capri Blue/Ash
Originally Posted by DukeBoy27
The new mats are not compatible with the anchors used by the original carpet mats... they do not have the holes.

This is true, and it's really poor decision making on the part of MB that the new mats do not have the anchor grommets integrated in the floor mats.

This past fall, I purchased a new set of all-weather OEM rubber floor mats from an online M-B dealership located in VA. Upon receiving them, I was surprised at the lack of grommets, as my OEM carpeted floor mats have these, and they fasten nicely to the plastic pins in my floor's carpeting.

My new floor mats also came with those alligator clips, which, seriously look like something that could be used in some Medievil 1500's torture chambers. The instructions indicate to fasten these clips to the rubber mat, then somehow pin them to the carpeting. Not going to happen on my end as I didn't want the alligator clips to ruin my floor mats.

So instead I set about trying to determine what the part numbers were for these grommets, which was not an easy task as the numbers molded on each part of the grommet does not pull up anything at the M-B parts counter.

I found the following thread, which goes into some pretty good detail, as the OP also wanted to obtain the grommets to install on his non-OEM floor mats: https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ea-liners.html

What I ended up doing was ordering the grommets from my local dealership. I had the part number but can't find it now, but the dealership should be able to get this for you. Apparently, they only come in black, which, since I ordered the charcoal mats, were fine. However, if you order the tan OEM mats, be aware that despite the fact that tan (or blue or light grey) grommets exist on the OEM carpeted mats, you can not order any other color grommets other than black. They cost about $10.00 USD for 2 of them (which is actually 4 pieces...the upper grommet and the lower one).

I then had to make 2 holes in the rubber floor mats to be able to install these grommets. It was not that easy to do, as the rubber is very flexible. But I managed to do so, and now they look great.

Hope this helps.
Cintoman
Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 CLK320 (sold), 2007 C230 SS (gone), 2000 Grand Marquis, 2011 CR-Z, stay tuned...
I couldn't put the rubber mats on top of my existing mats because the combined thickness of them was too great to move the seats forward over them. I just put them down without any fastening and haven't had any problems since. The front ones stay put. The back ones, on the other hand, slide all over the place.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Originally Posted by Cintoman
This is true, and it's really poor decision making on the part of MB that the new mats do not have the anchor grommets integrated in the floor mats.

This past fall, I purchased a new set of all-weather OEM rubber floor mats from an online M-B dealership located in VA. Upon receiving them, I was surprised at the lack of grommets, as my OEM carpeted floor mats have these, and they fasten nicely to the plastic pins in my floor's carpeting.

My new floor mats also came with those alligator clips, which, seriously look like something that could be used in some Medievil 1500's torture chambers. The instructions indicate to fasten these clips to the rubber mat, then somehow pin them to the carpeting. Not going to happen on my end as I didn't want the alligator clips to ruin my floor mats.

So instead I set about trying to determine what the part numbers were for these grommets, which was not an easy task as the numbers molded on each part of the grommet does not pull up anything at the M-B parts counter.

I found the following thread, which goes into some pretty good detail, as the OP also wanted to obtain the grommets to install on his non-OEM floor mats: https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ea-liners.html

What I ended up doing was ordering the grommets from my local dealership. I had the part number but can't find it now, but the dealership should be able to get this for you. Apparently, they only come in black, which, since I ordered the charcoal mats, were fine. However, if you order the tan OEM mats, be aware that despite the fact that tan (or blue or light grey) grommets exist on the OEM carpeted mats, you can not order any other color grommets other than black. They cost about $10.00 USD for 2 of them (which is actually 4 pieces...the upper grommet and the lower one).

I then had to make 2 holes in the rubber floor mats to be able to install these grommets. It was not that easy to do, as the rubber is very flexible. But I managed to do so, and now they look great.

Hope this helps.
Cintoman

What part# did you purchase? I have never seen all season mats lack floor anchors. Also floor mat clips are not hard to pull up at the counter, these are for the carpet ones, but they clip into the floor anchors. I don't see a reason why you would need these though.

Q-6-68-0520 BLACK ROUND
Q-6-68-0521 JAVA ROUND
Q-6-68-0491 BLACK OVAL
Q-6-68-0492 JAVA OVAL