C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Aftermarket Nav/Bluetooth in Harman Kardon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 CDI 2006
Aftermarket Nav/Bluetooth in Harman Kardon

Have purchased W203:

- 2006 model
- Harman Kardon (H/K) system
- Audio 20
- No phone / bluetooth install

I would like to install double DIN integrated unit (nav/blutooth). Reading through the forums I bumped into the walls (although you guys give excellent support!!!). Let me explain:

COMAND retrofit: Nav works but expensive solution if I have to retrofit Coamnd for Nav and then seperately a bluetooth installation.

Parrot for BT, Steering wheel integration, seperate Nuvi: BT and phon eintegration would be perfect and not too expensive. Donwside is the stand alonge Nuvi/tomTom that is not integrated (need power etc installation as well).

AVIC and others: Would work great, but with Harman Kardon I read it is a difficult install due to the difference i the speaker impendace of the H/K system compared to the AVIC amp (4 ohms where H/K needs to see 2 Ohms - not sure about this...). So I do not feel comfortable doing this install....maybe you can enlighten me here...

Is this assessment correct? What have you guys done with the same setup? What are my options?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
I had paragraphs typed up to reply your post but my comp crashed.. so i'll try to sum up what i was gonna say.

I was deciding between Argos bluetooth kit + the portable GPS which I already had, OEM Nav or an aftermarket HU. IMHO:

1. Argos kit keeps the OEM look, but costs way too much for what it does, and you need extra 180 bucks to get ipod compatibility. And as you said portable GPS is not integrated.
2. OEM COMAND upgrade has cleaner look as well, however you still need extra kits to get wireless phone connection as well as ipod connection.
3. Therefore aftermarket HU was the most reasonable choice. Although not as OEM look as the above choices, for around $700 + trim + adapter and installation, you get all other things: Navi, DVD playback, ipod connectivity, and bluetooth. You can even save more if you can DIY. You can find all the instructions from different threads in the forum.

Without any experience in installing HUs in the past, I put a pioneer F90bt by myself, and I can say that it's an easy but very time consuming job (hence expensive installation). The installation of the HU is very straight forward. You just need to take off the trims, remove OEM HU, plug in the adapters and it'll power up.

Since the H/K system in 05+ runs on fiber optic between HU and amp, you'll need to run wires from the new HU to the speakers. This is the place where you'll spend most of the time on (at least to me). I believe there are other ways to do this, but for me, I ran wires from the aftermarket HU, through the compartment under the door sills, to the area where OEM amp is located, and just splice them with the speaker wires coming out of the amp. This way I don't have to spend the time to remove all 4 door trims and connect them individually.

Hope this helps you in terms of making your decision
Old 01-24-2010, 05:41 PM

C200 CDI 2006
Great reply, thanks, very much appreciate. Excellent ideas.

Aftermarket:

Indeed aftermarket like AVIC-D3 would be a good option. But: Need to find somebody to do the wiring. I love your solution with the splicing though!! How many lines did you needed to run? You loose the H/K amp ... true, probably no big deal? Where is the amp located?

No way I can run cables to the speakers myself.... Cost of installation by a pro? Also handsfree is key to me and I am not sure how an AVIC call and reception quality compares to a Parrot? Did you try the phone quality? I will do some research. AVIC D-3 is now available for +/- 300 EURO on ebay - I guess a good deal!

Parrot

It's a pain: As owners with H/K installation we apparently can't use the H/K speakers and amp. That's a pity, especially since the new Parrot MKi series would allow streaming through the Parrot to the speakers. AND with the UNIKA we would have steering wheel integration. THere is no point using Parrot without a proper speaker setup of course (only for the phone part). SAAB people have the same issue....

FUNKWERK

For all you guys looking into Parrot alternatives: Check Funkwerk EGO and EGO Drive: GPS, Handsfree, iPOD: http://www.1800mobiles.com/ego-drive-bluetooth-car.html. Funkwerk Ego Drive: A perfect solution for what I was looking for. But it's NOT integrated into the car (...just goes to AUX-IN of Audio 20)...and not with H/K ..I will check.

FISCON

The good news here :-) Fiscon came out with a system that supports fiber ring cars such as W203 with H/K: FISCON Pro (Fiber Ring): http://www.fiscon-mobile.eu/products/pro.php. A great option and completely clean install. No GPS of course. The Fiscon Pro is availbale to order and will be ready to be shipped within a month.

Sooo: I sent some mails to Parrot to check on MKi / UNIKA series and to Funkwerk to check on EGO Drive. I keep you posted. If negative, I might go for Fiscon pro as it's a nicely integrated solution for phone and buy a Garmin. And I will check with an installer on how much to run cables...WHY is there no cable for an AVIC for Bose or H/K car??? :-)

Cheers,
David
Old 01-24-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 C55 AMG, 2010 Genesis Coupe
There are other choices for you on this I believe. If you have audio 20 is there still a button to select telephone on the unit. If the answer is yes then your problem is easy. As you have H/K premium sound then I believe you are already running fibre optics in the car for the sound. If this is the case then you can run a mobridge unit and that will give you bluetooth and Ipod and the bluetooth is still a parrot unit, just integrated into the fibre system. You can install it in place of the cd change(if you have it) and the changer will be the ipod, and the system will control it like a cd changer. If Navigation is also important then you will need a new command unit for whichever class car you have. This way you will still retain the h/k system and all the speakers. This will be very pricey though.
Other than that I would go with the Alpine 505 or the new ina-w900 and just add the bluetooth module to it. The down side is you will loose steering wheel controls for the functions of the radio and such unless there is someone who has a i/f for the mercedes can bus for oem integration. You will also need at leas t a 5 channel amp for the sub and door speakers plus anot ther sammle 4 channel ampif you want the center and rear shelf to work but Im not sure how you would get the logic7 expeierience to work again.
It is a challenge but it isnt that big a deal and any competent shop can do this and it look excellent. but the key here is a competent shop..of which theere arent many. Stay away from best buy on this.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:18 AM

C200 CDI 2006
Excellent. Yes - I checked Mobridge. Indeed a solution for what I am looking for. So here is where I stand:

Mobridge / iTronic

Both, iTronic and Mobridge seem to do the same. However, pricing is different:

iTronic: USD 899 (phone) + USD 129 (ipod)
Mobridge: USD 799 (phone + ipod)

Reply by iTronic on question what is different:
"Lot's of things. We do software for the mObridge, but the product is different.1. Ours comes with a complete MERCEDES cable set (not a generic that you have to source your own ends for).
2. Ours comes with a twin element noise canceling mic.
3. Ours comes with proper harness power connectors.
4. Ours comes with a proper iPod cable that charges ALL Apple ipod/iphone products."

I am not sure whether Mobridge needs a cable harness....?

Fiscon Pro Mercedes

http://www.fiscon-mobile.de/products/pro_mercedes.php

Fiscon Pro: USD 599 (399 EURO)

Downside: No iPOD integration...not that big of a deal for me.

Aftermarket

I do not feel comfortable: If I get a unit for the price point around USD 700, the reviews are not that good. Especially if priority if handsfree calling. It seems that these units all do everything good, but nothing great. So I will stick to dedicated solutions.

Especially now, as after Apple also Nokia released free routing on their map software, GPS on the phone can be sued and streamed over AD2P.

For now: Fiscon Pro with external Garmin or Nokia Maps. :-)

I keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the great comments!