C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Lumbar Support Broken? How to remove seat to fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230k
Lumbar Support Broken? How to remove seat to fix?

Hi,

2005 C230k Sedan.

Somehow on my drive home yesterday my back was hurting a little bit so i used the lumbar support knob and turned it downward all the way to its maximum lumbar support level. Back felt great after that but 30 seconds it I hear a large snap and my back sinks into the seat.

Stop the car and hit the back of the seat to hear rattling noise and obviously "my fat @$$" breaking the seat. (fyi im only 155 lbs)

I STFF and didnt see any posts like this so im wondering has anyone ever had a simliar experience with the lumbar support snapping or breaking before in the c230 seat?

Has anyone removed the seat (not the entire seat) but just the cover portion where the lumbar support is? i want to open it up and throw some foam or something in there to give me some support, but i dont want to go tearing apart my seat until someone here that has some experience can give some pointers or suggestions (or even a faq ) that can help me out.

thanks!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Should be easy enough. If you tilt the seat back forward you'll notice two screws on the bottom in the back (I think they're T8 or T10 torx screws). Just remove those two and slide the back of the seat downwards and you've got the back panel off. You'll see that the leather from the seat back in front wraps around the bottom of the seat back and fits right into two little hooks. If you remove that, you should be able to reach the lumbar area with little else to disassemble. I can detail how to take the whole seat apart, but I'm not familiar with a power seat (with all the bladders and hoses and such), so there'd be more that I haven't seen myself, but at least I'd be able to give you some idea.

Also, this applies to the coupe and should extend to the sedan, but I don't have my brother's car in front of me at the moment, so I can't confirm.