C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help - Mirror Covers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Help - Mirror Covers

I have repaced my frosted mirror blinkers with clear ones. Followed Citron & others recommendations & all has gone well.

But - I can't get the covers to clip back in place. I've hit them so hard I have a bruised hand but the spring catch just will not lock. A slight jiggle & they come loose again. There is obviously a technique to make them clip in. Is there a specific angle for the mirror that works best? One is always pressing on one or another area of the rubber surround with the cover & fighting with the darn powerful spring.

I need your help please!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Wow, I think this is a first.

Did you monkey with the brass inner part a bit? You should feel them click into place when you bring the mirrors back into correct place. I remember that some people had to mess with them a bit with a flathead to get the mirrors free; possibly they are not in perfect alignment now?

Sorry, that's the best I can come up with. Mine clicked back into place normally after I did the install.

Nice bump up in appearance, aren't they?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

I have won. Had a beer. Sat down & looked at the things without beating them with my fists. Made sure the stainless springs were fully returned. Removed the 2 inch spacers I'd used as recommended to hold mirrors out against their springs. Allowed them to return to their natural resting place - pushed on the covers & they clicked into place & locked. Hmm! a learning here - no brute force required - Don't fit mirror cover when mirror mechanism is pulled back against it's spring - QED!

They look great & match my BiX & clear fogs - mission accomplished at last! Thank you all for encouraging me to do this. My car came new with Bix & clear fogs but at my build date clear mirror repeaters were not available. I've always hated the frosted ones because they spoiled my "clear" look & feel.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tommy
Wow, I think this is a first.

Did you monkey with the brass inner part a bit? You should feel them click into place when you bring the mirrors back into correct place. I remember that some people had to mess with them a bit with a flathead to get the mirrors free; possibly they are not in perfect alignment now?

Sorry, that's the best I can come up with. Mine clicked back into place normally after I did the install.

Nice bump up in appearance, aren't they?
Yes - they look great - Typical me - I get the complicated things correct & screw up on the simple things
Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I have won. Had a beer.
Another proven example that sobriety when working on cars is highly overrated.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
LOL that is so funny glad you figured it out though i was worried that i had misled you and that the connector was the problem lol. They do look great don't they i spent like 15 minutes looking at mine with the 4 ways on after i installed them lol and still love looking at them. don't forget to get us some pics of them.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

No - connector alignment was a precheck I did once the new units were installed in the covers with those silly tiny torx screws - car shouting at me that I had a fault with both repeaters LOL.

Also did the Hazard flasher thing to admire my handywork. I find it amazing that such a minor upgrade can freshen things up so much. Ah well - now to fit my new hood star. Stone hit the old one and it now has minor corrosion. But it saved my screen!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tommy
Another proven example that sobriety when working on cars is highly overrated.
Well if you have a German built one it was assembled with beer!. Breakfast beer, tea break beer, lunchtime beer etc. Used to have beer vending machines on the production lines. I think they have stopped this now which probably accounts for Benz' drop in quality. We still allow wine at lunch in our French additive plants. Only way to get any work out of the frogs & prevent a strike.

When in Rome - do as the Roman's do. Something American Corporates have a hard time understanding & cause themselves untold grief. Their stupid "one American size" fits all approach & because Welch or Walton did it that way the whole world must because that's what my MBA course told me

It will be the downfall of the American dinosaur Corporations!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Well if you have a German built one it was assembled with beer!. Breakfast beer, tea break beer, lunchtime beer etc. Used to have beer vending machines on the production lines. I think they have stopped this now which probably accounts for Benz' drop in quality. We still allow wine at lunch in our French additive plants. Only way to get any work out of the frogs & prevent a strike.

When in Rome - do as the Roman's do. Something American Corporates have a hard time understanding & cause themselves untold grief. Their stupid "one American size" fits all approach & because Welch or Walton did it that way the whole world must because that's what my MBA course told me

It will be the downfall of the American dinosaur Corporations!
Well said.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Glyn, I find this thread halarious. hahaha :P Glad ya got it figured out though. When I installed my blinkers it took far longer than I assumed it would, but I skipped out on the spacers and just let the mirror mechanism just go back to its natural resting place so reinstalling the new cover + blinkers was easy. Taking the covers off on the other hand to wayyy too long.

Did you go with the updated 05+ or with the w211 style blinkers?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TruTaing
Glyn, I find this thread halarious. hahaha :P Glad ya got it figured out though. When I installed my blinkers it took far longer than I assumed it would, but I skipped out on the spacers and just let the mirror mechanism just go back to its natural resting place so reinstalling the new cover + blinkers was easy. Taking the covers off on the other hand to wayyy too long.

Did you go with the updated 05+ or with the w211 style blinkers?
Mine took about 1 hour if I remove beer time. Covers came off fine. Wasted a lot of time making sure the covers were spotless before fitting new repeaters. I was surprised how clean they were in fact but some fungal growth had taken place on the old blinker seals that I wanted to remove.
I have fitted 05+ - I like their simplicity - personal I guess.

When I could not make the covers lock in place I thought - damn - I do my bit on the forum - let's ask the question LOL