C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

If anybody figures out how to do a 180 like this...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2003 | 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If anybody figures out how to do a 180 like this...

...let me know :p

W203 C230 Kompressor sedan
Old 03-19-2003 | 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
NICE!!

I'm sure it had the ESP disabled somehow, and the road was "conditioned" also.
Old 03-19-2003 | 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Instructions for "doing 180":

1. Set "Dyno Mode".
2. At a "high" rate of speed, apply heavy braking to lock up wheels and break traction.
3. Cut the wheel to "full-lock".
Old 03-19-2003 | 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's and easy one. Note in the film how his rear wheels are locked up and smoking. What you do is turn the steering wheel hard and as the weight transfers to the front, lock the rear wheels and the car will swing around. Turn ESP off and then you can lock the rear wheels in 1 of two ways, if you have a manual trans, throw it 1st and feather the clutch to control how much to feather the rear, or jamb hard on the foot brake, keep your hand on the release lever so you can let it go just before you've completed your 180.

What's a little easier for beginners and is more fool proof is a reverse 180. Go in reverse at about 30 mph, let go of all pedals, keep your feet on the floor. Put your left hand on the top of the steering wheel, turn the steering wheel one way fast (whichever way is more comfortable) until your hand is at the bottom, shift from reverse to forward and quickly turn back the steering wheel until your hand is back to it's original position and step on the gas slowly to roll off in your new direction.

I know some of you are just plain stupid and will hurt themselves or their cars trying so let me say "do not try this at home".
Old 03-19-2003 | 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol.. I'm kidding.

enjoy the video
Old 03-19-2003 | 11:48 AM
Banned

W203
look of the C

The look of the new 'C' Sedan is just tight! Looks a lot more advance than the previous 2 years. I wonder still how 2004 is going to look. Looks as if they (MB) are definitely marketing a little bit more this year.
Old 03-19-2003 | 12:04 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 White C230 Kompressor Coupe(Black Interior)
Talking

Oooh Ooh, whatta Nice Commercial.. I like it.
Old 03-19-2003 | 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by pokerFACE
lol.. I'm kidding.

enjoy the video
I wasn't. I have an mpeg of my daughter doing 180's last year when she was 16. Is there a way to post it like you did?
Old 03-19-2003 | 03:01 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
That's and easy one. Note in the film how his rear wheels are locked up and smoking. What you do is turn the steering wheel hard and as the weight transfers to the front, lock the rear wheels and the car will swing around. Turn ESP off and then you can lock the rear wheels in 1 of two ways, if you have a manual trans, throw it 1st and feather the clutch to control how much to feather the rear, or jamb hard on the foot brake, keep your hand on the release lever so you can let it go just before you've completed your 180.

What's a little easier for beginners and is more fool proof is a reverse 180. Go in reverse at about 30 mph, let go of all pedals, keep your feet on the floor. Put your left hand on the top of the steering wheel, turn the steering wheel one way fast (whichever way is more comfortable) until your hand is at the bottom, shift from reverse to forward and quickly turn back the steering wheel until your hand is back to it's original position and step on the gas slowly to roll off in your new direction.

I know some of you are just plain stupid and will hurt themselves or their cars trying so let me say "do not try this at home".
The finniest is trying to master the "power slide" in a 4WD car or truck on pavement with all the tires smoking... makes for interesting pics to see a car going sideways and smoking the tires, and is possible with the right driving expertise.

The craziest times we had doing donuts were on snow covered streets in a friends car with a centre console mounted parking brake, and a "turbo wheel" mounted to the steering wheel. For those unfamiliar with the "turbo wheel" its a round knob that can be attached to the steering wheel to assist in one handed operation, very common on tractors and cars equipped for the handicapped. Also called a "suicide knob".
Old 03-19-2003 | 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
The craziest times we had doing donuts were on snow covered streets in a friends car with a centre console mounted parking brake, and a "turbo wheel" mounted to the steering wheel.
My car will make donuts in snow all day without either of these two features.
Old 03-19-2003 | 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I wasn't. I have an mpeg of my daughter doing 180's last year when she was 16. Is there a way to post it like you did?
nope. sorry. that one i found on the mbusa website.

You can try posting the vids on imagestation.

(...and you let yourself watch your daughter do 180s???)
Old 03-20-2003 | 12:04 AM

2004 SLK Special Edition
I've done donuts in a number of different vehicles. A 96' Z-71 truck, 77' Toyota LandCruiser, 88 2WD Surburban (Mom's old car)1980 Mazda RX-7, 1991 RX-7. I tried doing donuts in my coupe once. With the ESP off and a wet open parking lot it was still hard to break the tires loose. It seems the Pilot Sports are pretty awesome in the rain. I was trying to go pretty easy on it though so I might not have pushed hard enough. Does anybody know if its possible to break loose easily in 2nd? Just curious. I never took it out of first. I don't think I'll ever try it again, it just felt odd trying to do that kind of stuff in a Mercedes...not to mention I feel a little old for it. Anybody older than 23 still doing donuts want to make me feel better?
Old 03-20-2003 | 07:14 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by adamrs80
I've done donuts in a number of different vehicles. A 96' Z-71 truck, 77' Toyota LandCruiser, 88 2WD Surburban (Mom's old car)1980 Mazda RX-7, 1991 RX-7. I tried doing donuts in my coupe once. With the ESP off and a wet open parking lot it was still hard to break the tires loose. It seems the Pilot Sports are pretty awesome in the rain. I was trying to go pretty easy on it though so I might not have pushed hard enough. Does anybody know if its possible to break loose easily in 2nd? Just curious. I never took it out of first. I don't think I'll ever try it again, it just felt odd trying to do that kind of stuff in a Mercedes...not to mention I feel a little old for it. Anybody older than 23 still doing donuts want to make me feel better?
I have broken it loose in 4th while cornering, very scary, but ESP did its job.
I have also been able to spin the tires shifting into 3rd with ESP off when I wasn't used to the clutch yet and dropped it hard.
Old 03-20-2003 | 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by taylor192
I have also been able to spin the tires shifting into 3rd with ESP off when I wasn't used to the clutch yet and dropped it hard.
If you shift fast enough, you can chirp the tires into 3rd with ESP ON and not lose any momentum and without dropping the clutch.