C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

SRS warning! what do i do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes-Benz E500
I have that same problem right now and have had it since i bought my 03 E500 back in January. I took it to my friend's shop and since i know the guy for some time now he lets me do all the work on my car for free. So i put the scan tool on my car and it turns out it is the Child Seat Recognition Sensor located under the cushion of the passenger seat. Don't know about the price yet but as soon as i find out i will let you know. That light has officially driven me off the wall already!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:34 AM

05 C230 Kompressor
I'm in the same situation. Everytime i go visit a shop for something non related to the SRS light issue i'm having, i can hear the techs at the shop amongst themselves talking about how almost every mercedes they've worked on has the SRS light issue.

I figured mines has a bad passenger side sensor although i'm just going based on what i've been reading.

Oh and um about the whole SRS system being disabled along with the tensioners, the tensioners being de-activated, either is not true or a divine saving! I came to a near accident 1 month ago braking from 45/50 to 0 MPH on a busy free way off ramp. Tensioners worked fine on me. I barely tapped the car in front of me. Nothing happened.

NOTE: my SRS light has stayed on for over 8-9 months now.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by seagel1000
Oh and um about the whole SRS system being disabled along with the tensioners, the tensioners being de-activated, either is not true or a divine saving! I came to a near accident 1 month ago braking from 45/50 to 0 MPH on a busy free way off ramp. Tensioners worked fine on me. I barely tapped the car in front of me. Nothing happened.
It absolutely IS true, you're just misunderstanding. The seat belt locking in that situation is the mechanical reaction.. ELR I think is what that is called.

The stuff that won't work are all the airbags and the pre-tensioners which fire (and are good for 1 use only) and reduce slack in the belt during an accident.

With an SRS light on the only help you've got is that ELR catching you. Trust me, it is NOT enough. You need to get this fixed or this temporary home you speak of in your signature might be a lot more temporary than you had hoped.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:41 PM

05 C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
It absolutely IS true, you're just misunderstanding. The seat belt locking in that situation is the mechanical reaction.. ELR I think is what that is called.

The stuff that won't work are all the airbags and the pre-tensioners which fire (and are good for 1 use only) and reduce slack in the belt during an accident.

With an SRS light on the only help you've got is that ELR catching you. Trust me, it is NOT enough. You need to get this fixed or this temporary home you speak of in your signature might be a lot more temporary than you had hoped.
lol

I want to get it fixed but at the same time I feel i'm being suckered by a MB Shop to get it checked cost only about $140 just to diagnose.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Do you exercise? Take vitamins? Get check-ups? Eat healthy?

I know a woman who took a fish oil capsule every day like clockwork because she was convinced it was going to help her heart health but then never wore a seat belt. We humans can be quite stupid at times.

My point is that driving is likely the most dangerous thing you do every day. The chances of being in a car accident in your lifetime is basically 100%. Your chances of dying in a car crash are greater than that of dying from diseases, even common ones. As such, you should spare no expense in making sure you are as safe as possible when you drive. Get the SRS system working again.