C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

How To Enable Tunnel Mode!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been on the C-class sedans since 2001. I would be surprised if it hasn't been on the S and SL since their introduction.

Try this on your car. Open the windows and sunroof. Push the recirc button. If they close, you have it. If they don't, you might have it, but it isn't enabled.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203
getting back to the....

I want to know if we can actually activate the reversing help mirror! that would definitely be awesome. any updates on this? Does the sedan have the tunnel mode feature too? I'll try it when i wake up tomorrow morning!

To my dismay....it WORKED!!! Pretty cool feature. I already had the one touch going on all 4 windows plus sunroof, and this little button to control all is just great!!!

Last edited by .elijah.; 04-16-2003 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: getting back to the....

Originally posted by .elijah.
I want to know if we can actually activate the reversing help mirror! that would definitely be awesome. any updates on this?
The reversing mirror thing only works if you have the full power seats.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:20 PM

I've tried the tunnel mode on mine, hoping that it would be a good way to shut the sunroof quickly instead of having to sit and hold the button until it is closed. But when I push the recirc button, it looks like I have to hold that down until everything is closed, too - is that what everyone else has experienced, or should it be one-touch? In other words, I'd like to be able to close the windows/sunroof without having to hold the recirc button down the whole time - am I S.O.L?
Old 04-16-2003, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Matt230K
Yeah, I think that is the setting that I tried first, but it didn't make the roof work. So I just turned it back off and did the other one and that worked. If you can figure out what that memory setting does, I might have to turn it on. There has to be something different that it does.
using the recirc button, i can now set the first 1-touch open position to wherever i'd like. it may be for that.

i'm curious if someone who hasn't changed this setting can confirm this or not.

basically, position the sunshade to wherever you'd like. hold down the recirc so that it closes. and then try the one-touch open and see if it goes to that same place.

-
ezzie, i do not have to hold it down to have everything open. i vaguely remember someone mentioning a clk having the same characteristic. maybe that's a separate setting?

--
a few comments:
i think "Auto" mode needs to be on for the recirc button to work.
the panoroof will close even after the key is pulled out, but the windows won't.
i need to hold the recirc button for about 1/2 a second.

Last edited by young; 04-16-2003 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
I did try this once on a W209 CLK and I had to hold the recirc button the whole time to make everything close. It seems strange that MB would change this feature on a brand new car to make it less convenient.

using the recirc button, i can now set the first 1-touch open position to wherever i'd like. it may be for that.
So can you set it so that it opens all the way on the first press? Actually, you confused me when you started talking about the sunshade. Is this feature for setting the position of the sunshade or the glass?
Old 04-29-2003, 12:08 AM

05 C230 Sports Sedan, Previously owned an 02 C230 Sports Coupe
Talking

Just got my car back from having the passenger window replaced (vicious lawn mower at the office). They had no problem getting the settings changes for the "No Phone", and the sunroof/ tunnel mode once I showed them printed copies of the "How to's" from the forum.

Everything works great! Thanks guys!
Old 04-29-2003, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Matt230K
So can you set it so that it opens all the way on the first press? Actually, you confused me when you started talking about the sunshade. Is this feature for setting the position of the sunshade or the glass?
i tried messing around w/ this a little more... and i couldn't make any sense out of it. sometimes, it went to the beginning like 4", other times it was like an 1", and other times it was halfway (which is what i left it at). i couldn't figure out how/why.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:16 AM
Almost a Member!

I think this tunnel mode is standard and needs not be set by the dealer. Or at least that's what I got from the manual. I could be wrong. My 03 C230K came with the mode set.

The way I have it is, when I have the windows and roof open, I hit the recirc button and hold it down. It will close all the windows and roof. If you hit the recirc button again to turn it off, and hold it down, it will open the windows and roof back to the original position before you closed them. In both closing and opening, you can let go of the button at any time and everything will stop at the current position.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
hmn1, all cars are set to open and close the windows, but not all of them do the sunroof too. Most of the '03s seem to work the sunroof, but many '02 coupe owners have to get this function enabled so that it closes the roof also.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:50 PM
Almost a Member!

I stand corrected. Sorry, I didn't know that about the 02. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:43 AM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
My understanding is that when the roof is closed and you open the glass roof with the button on top, first it goes to the last partial opened position. I saw a setting in the programming screen referring to remembering the last open position. If you turn it off, then the first roof-button press makes the roof open halfway (default behaviour).
The 2nd roof-button press makes it open all the way.

Originally posted by young
i tried messing around w/ this a little more... and i couldn't make any sense out of it. sometimes, it went to the beginning like 4", other times it was like an 1", and other times it was halfway (which is what i left it at). i couldn't figure out how/why.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:13 PM

MB C230K
This is an informative thread and I'd like to add to it.

I just picked up an '03 C230 sport coupe loaner and tunnel mode is enabled

BUT

you have to press and HOLD the recirc button or the roof will stop closing. This is about as inconvenient as having to press and HOLD the overhead button the controls the sunroof.

On my '02 with tunnel mode enabled, I just press and hold Recirc for two seconds. When the roof starts to close, I can let go of the button and attend to other things, such as parking. I have even turned off the engine and removed the key, and the roof continues to close.

I bet for the '03 you can still perform the same programming in order to get the "automatic" mode enabled that I just described for the '02.

--Steffen
Old 05-06-2003, 06:06 PM

c-240
YA

I just ran to my 02 c240 to see if my tunnel mode was enabled. and low and behold everything worked. I only pushed the recirc button for 2 seconds and everything closed.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury
is this how it is suppose to work for the 04 as well? one touch of the recirc and once it begins to close you can let go and it does the rest for you? i just wanna know because i have recently had my entire front dome light assembly replaced and now tunnel mode as well as auto close no longer work, so when i take it into the shop to get fixed i wanna test it out to make sure it's working properly, thanks~!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
wow, this post came back from the dead. i read the whole manual but somehow i missed this part, i just tried it and i can hold it for 2 seconds and let go and all the windows and sunroof close and then i hold it for 2 seconds again and they all open to the position they were in.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:37 AM

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury
Originally Posted by ctC230K
wow, this post came back from the dead. i read the whole manual but somehow i missed this part, i just tried it and i can hold it for 2 seconds and let go and all the windows and sunroof close and then i hold it for 2 seconds again and they all open to the position they were in.
thanks for the reply, so i guess if it's like that for the 02 and it works like that in the 05, it should probably be the same in the 04-04.5 i'll make sure it works like this when i take it into the dealer, thanks a lot
Old 03-07-2005, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
i know this is a blast from the past, and at the time my tunnel mode worked. since i installed the digi climate control, my tunnel mode stopped working. i wonder if this will enable it again, or if its the digi climate control that is not allowing it to function.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
My car have "tunnel mode" setting on from factory
Old 03-09-2005, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
i would think so. im not sure about Euro Spec, settings are different. but my 2003 had it set from factory.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:34 PM

ok, so i dropped my car off this morning and they gave me a C320 loaner (nice car btw, good engine), so anyway, i brought it in to get the auto-close feature of my sunroof back as well as the one touch tunnel mode working again (they had replaced my front dome light assembly and ever since then, both of these functions stopped working) so they tell me it should be done by the afternoon, 3 hours later, i get a call and they tell me that "something's just not right" in my car, they had to order "a part" and they would need to keep it until tuesday...wtf???

oh yea, something peculiar that i noticed, the C320 loaner they gave me didn't have a functioning auto-close sunroof either! the tunnel mode opened and closed the windows with one-touch but the sunroof remained a mystery for auto-close, this scares me that i may never get that functionality back
Old 03-12-2005, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Originally Posted by CitronC230K_03
i know this is a blast from the past, and at the time my tunnel mode worked. since i installed the digi climate control, my tunnel mode stopped working. i wonder if this will enable it again, or if its the digi climate control that is not allowing it to function.
My tunnel mode works by holding the button for the charcoal filter on the Climatronic. Just tried it again to be sure and it works.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:24 PM

after having this C320 loaner for most of the day, i just wanna say, i'm pretty impressed! the BiX HIDs are awesome, driving with them compared with halogens is quite a different experience to me, the wideness of the beams seems much much greater and it looks great while driving (btw, the parking lights with the HIDs are even more ridiculous looking than the halogens .)

i also wanna add 2 more things that i love about this loaner:

1.) the power seats and steering wheel, i think it's awesome how the steering wheel moves up when you put the car into park and take the key out and moves back to the way it was when you put the key back into the ignition, a small thing, but it is very convenient.

2.) when putting the car in reverse, the side mirror automatically going down so you can keep an eye on how close to the curb you are, what a great feature! i used it today when i had to parallel park, and while i'm pretty good at parking, it was nice to see it anyways

anyway, just wanted to comment on this stuff as it was a few things that made me like this car (i was so disappointed and sad that i would be stuck with it for a few days, but i guess i dont mind that much anymore )

edit - oh yea, another thing, digital climate control rocks! even though pushing the button 6 times to go from 74 to 68 is a little bit of a pain, the whole system seems to respond faster to adjustments (i.e.-fan speed and temp.) when i turn the knobs in my C230 it seems like i have to wait a while before anything kicks in, also, sometimes the temps. dont even change in my car unless i set the temps. to their maximums, hmmm, is something wrong with my climate control??? anybody else have these issues with their knobs?

edit #2 - one more thing, the blue dial in the middle right between the two air vents is awesome, i used it a bit if it started getting too hot in the car, why dont i have this in my car? i remembered seeing pictures of this as well as of another knob above it on the speaker grill and wondering what they were for, now i know what the blue dial does, but that other one on the speaker grill is still a mystery to me as my car and the loaner both dont have it.

Last edited by inFiniTE LooP; 03-13-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
my car has those two features. you don't have power seats or steering wheel? i guess the power mirror on reverse only comes with the power seats package.

Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
after having this C320 loaner for most of the day, i just wanna say, i'm pretty impressed! the BiX HIDs are awesome, driving with them compared with halogens is quite a different experience to me, the wideness of the beams seems much much greater and it looks great while driving (btw, the parking lights with the HIDs are even more ridiculous looking than the halogens .)

i also wanna add 2 more things that i love about this loaner:

1.) the power seats and steering wheel, i think it's awesome how the steering wheel moves up when you put the car into park and take the key out and moves back to the way it was when you put the key back into the ignition, a small thing, but it is very convenient.

2.) when putting the car in reverse, the side mirror automatically going down so you can keep an eye on how close to the curb you are, what a great feature! i used it today when i had to parallel park, and while i'm pretty good at parking, it was nice to see it anyways

anyway, just wanted to comment on this stuff as it was a few things that made me like this car (i was so disappointed and sad that i would be stuck with it for a few days, but i guess i dont mind that much anymore )

edit - oh yea, another thing, digital climate control rocks! even though pushing the button 6 times to go from 74 to 68 is a little bit of a pain, the whole system seems to respond faster to adjustments (i.e.-fan speed and temp.) when i turn the knobs in my C230 it seems like i have to wait a while before anything kicks in, also, sometimes the temps. dont even change in my car unless i set the temps. to their maximums, hmmm, is something wrong with my climate control??? anybody else have these issues with their knobs?

edit #2 - one more thing, the blue dial in the middle right between the two air vents is awesome, i used it a bit if it started getting too hot in the car, why dont i have this in my car? i remembered seeing pictures of this as well as of another knob above it on the speaker grill and wondering what they were for, now i know what the blue dial does, but that other one on the speaker grill is still a mystery to me as my car and the loaner both dont have it.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by ctC230K
my car has those two features. you don't have power seats or steering wheel? i guess the power mirror on reverse only comes with the power seats package.
for not getting power seats package!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How To Enable Tunnel Mode!!