C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 Projectors. Need your opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by seagel1000
The first thing he's doing on that thread is removing the bumper. LOL

jk man,

But yes, you do need to remove the bumper...unfortunately.

Chris
Chris,

For his sake and others perhaps intimidated by the thought of "removing" the front bumper, you actually don't need to "remove" it. You only need to loosen one side at a time be able to shift it forward around an inch (see the pictures for details) to allow access to the lower headlight bolt. You COULD remove the entire thing if you wanted, but it's certainly not necessary.

Stephen
Old 03-27-2010, 09:23 AM

05 C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by PharmD
Chris,

For his sake and others perhaps intimidated by the thought of "removing" the front bumper, you actually don't need to "remove" it. You only need to loosen one side at a time be able to shift it forward around an inch (see the pictures for details) to allow access to the lower headlight bolt. You COULD remove the entire thing if you wanted, but it's certainly not necessary.

Stephen
Stephen:

Thanks for the correction. I actually ended up editing my post to rephrase about removing vs pulling down the bumper where it meets the headlights.

Chris
Old 03-27-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
the light pattern on the depo headlights suck, they don't put out much light. my friend's depo headlights with 55w 5k HID puts out a less usable light than both my 35w frosty xenons and BiX. the depos make these super bright and annoying hotspots in front of the car instead of distributing the light evenly across the road.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:38 PM

2003 C230K Sedan
Originally Posted by seagel1000
If condensation is a worry for many of you, go out and buy some high temp silicon or sealer for headlights (around 20 bucks). Put your head light (one at a time) in the oven at 250* for 5-7mins (no need to pre-heat the oven, just stick it in there). Grab some pliers and tighten the seal on the cover with the headlight housing and apply the Silicon/sealant. Problem solved on any aftermarket or stock headlight.
http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_detail.html

Found this interesting article regarding silicone being used under the hood area while browsing for detailing products...hmm.

Originally Posted by Dingleberry
the light pattern on the depo headlights suck, they don't put out much light. my friend's depo headlights with 55w 5k HID puts out a less usable light than both my 35w frosty xenons and BiX. the depos make these super bright and annoying hotspots in front of the car instead of distributing the light evenly across the road.
Thanks for the heads up on the light pattern output. I will probably end up installing one side first and then wait until night time to take a short drive around the neighborhood to compare between stock halogen frosties and the depo projectors. However, the lenses on my stock lights are not in that great of a shape with amount of cloudy, yellow residue that have built up since i bought the car. I've also been debating on whether to try out these lens cleaner kits I've seen around in automotive stores or not. http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=124904885 or http://www.amazon.com/3M-Headlight-L.../dp/B001AIZ5HY
Old 03-27-2010, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
IMO my 0.02cents is saying save your money until you can afford Bi-Xenons.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:09 PM

2007 c230
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-BI-...Q5fAccessories

the guy has like 10 of them maybe you can negoiate them down to 1200
Old 03-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini
IMO my 0.02cents is saying save your money until you can afford Bi-Xenons.
+1
Old 03-28-2010, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
the metal rods you see in the photo at the rear of the headlights are simply immobilizers
used during shipping. before installing onto your car, you remove them and toss into the
trash can...... which is also what I think of the quality of the Depo projector. one of your
203 colleagues posted a photo of the beam after they inserted HID bulbs into them. it
greatly magnifies the horrible beam pattern inherent with the H7 projectors....even worse
and more apparent with HID bulbs.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:00 AM

06 C230 6 Speed FTW
wow thats bad, mine in non projectors or a million times better than that pic. Let me see if I have a pic...

Edit - no pic maybe tomorrow will take one.

I was thinking of buying the cheap headlights and replacing the projector. I know someone on this site did that.

Last edited by omg its nate; 03-28-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 AM

Marsaydees
if you're interested, i have a pair of factory frosty xenon headlights in great condition... better light output than both stock halogen and depo headlights with xenon
Old 03-29-2010, 06:03 PM

2003 C230K Sedan
Originally Posted by raymond g-
the metal rods you see in the photo at the rear of the headlights are simply immobilizers
used during shipping. before installing onto your car, you remove them and toss into the
trash can...... which is also what I think of the quality of the Depo projector. one of your
203 colleagues posted a photo of the beam after they inserted HID bulbs into them. it
greatly magnifies the horrible beam pattern inherent with the H7 projectors....even worse
and more apparent with HID bulbs.

Woah, that is pretty bad....My stock halogens currently has those similar hotspots as well, but not as bright as your pic. Not sure if it because of the residue buildup inside the lens or that i tinkered with the leveling when i had 8k HIDs installed, or both, haha. Had to ditch them cuz ppl high beaming me. Even after i adjusted the beam to be lower; they just werent functional enough to see the road ahead with stock housings. My depo headlights just arrived this morning via UPS, but due to circumstances beyond my control (rain for the whole week) I can't do anything. A blessing perhaps?

Originally Posted by Dingleberry
if you're interested, i have a pair of factory frosty xenon headlights in great condition... better light output than both stock halogen and depo headlights with xenon
BTW, how much are you asking for those frosty xenons Dingleberry? Was hoping you might be local but i see you're in Maryland, lol.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 PM

05 C230 Kompressor
Acura TSX Retro FTW using the Sonar headlights.

Beautiful cut off line and it's bright (also depending the D2s bulb you use). TO clarify on the silicone, I probably shouldn't have put in a hurry silicone. Get the OEM headlight sealer from http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=5577

It'll cost you 21 and some change if you go to the dealer off the 210. If not, order it online and shipping will be less than 7 or 8 bucks...

I did it, haven't seen any problems yet.

Chris