C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

CEL on again!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2010 | 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i drive them all, fast and hard
CEL on again!!!!

just took it in last week and they said it was the O2 sensor..had that fixed and now 3 days later, its on again...wtf

called service dude , he says this is common, that the CEL is so sensitive, a sneeze can set it off.....
Old 03-30-2010 | 05:45 PM

Saab 900 SE
ok well bring it back and make them fix it, thats there issues, so why the post? Did you want to know something about them?
Old 03-30-2010 | 06:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
If it's P0420, just get a scanner, keep it handy and remove as needed. I've pretty much given up on mine staying off at this point.
Old 03-30-2010 | 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

whats the P0420?
Old 03-30-2010 | 09:30 PM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
what were the codes? Do you use aftermarket air filters?
Old 03-30-2010 | 10:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

It's the one right after P0419, of course.
Old 03-30-2010 | 10:27 PM

2002 C320
Jackassery aside, I have had similar issues on cold days. The coolant doesn't warm up fast enough and the CEL trips for O2 heater circuit malfunction and thermostat something or other. The ECU keeps the car running rich longer trying to get the temperature up and it hurts the fuel economy. The problem is actually in the thermostat, not the O2 sensor (mine, at least).
Old 03-31-2010 | 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well last week it was the o2 sensor apparently. they replaced it and that was that.... car drove fine...
3 days later it went on again...the SA said it could be anything.... so i sent it in again today

on the other hand remember i had issues with the RF portion of the alarm module....first after my engine replacement ordeal it didnt work at all, only the IR...then the dealer did something with the RF amp and it worked but only at like 5 feet away max....so last week i mentioned it to them and they said there is nothing else wrong and that they could get it to work from like 50 ft away...and attributed it to possibly batteries..

they changed the battteries on the spare key fob and got it to work from distance....i tried with my main key and it worked, with out changing batteries...weird huh...also the AM radio started working again too...i assume my tints had some play in that, but just weird how when i asked them to look into that, ofcourse it starts to work fine thn.

hopefully this new CEL isnt gonna messup wht has become good...
Old 03-31-2010 | 09:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

It would probably be in your best interest to pick up a scanner; they're very helpful, even if you do get all of your service at the dealer. It would also help you to get to know how to read, clear, and understand CEL codes. Not knowing what's giving you the errors is not a good thing, and your SA won't generally be much help - you should keep a log of the errors that your ECU's spitting out and when.

Also, the sensors in the doors generally get very weak over time. Unfortunately, your situation isn't unique. Though usually it's the IR receivers that go bad, not the RF. (unless I have it backwards, which is entirely possible). I got the mods4cars module installed on my car, and can now open the doors/windows from much further away than before. That may be something to think about in the future, if your situation gets worse.
Old 03-31-2010 | 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Originally Posted by tommy
It would probably be in your best interest to pick up a scanner; they're very helpful, even if you do get all of your service at the dealer. It would also help you to get to know how to read, clear, and understand CEL codes. Not knowing what's giving you the errors is not a good thing, and your SA won't generally be much help - you should keep a log of the errors that your ECU's spitting out and when.

Also, the sensors in the doors generally get very weak over time. Unfortunately, your situation isn't unique. Though usually it's the IR receivers that go bad, not the RF. (unless I have it backwards, which is entirely possible). I got the mods4cars module installed on my car, and can now open the doors/windows from much further away than before. That may be something to think about in the future, if your situation gets worse.
How long did it take to install the module?

Last edited by samaritrey; 03-31-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2010 | 11:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by samaritrey
How long did it take to install the module?
It took me about 2 minutes to pay him. A guy came over to my parking lot at work and did it. I think it took him about an hour and a half all told, I think - had to take off the door sill, install, troubleshoot, etc. - it was his first time doing the install on a ccoupe, and the method that they show for how things should work when properly installed was not exactly correct for the coupe, probably due to the complication of the panorama sunroof.
Old 04-01-2010 | 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

update, so the dealer says that i have bad gas in the car ( no fart jokes please)
and that the bad gasoline disrupted the new 02 sensor and some test they did showed something to be red and that the gas was probably bad.

ive used the same gas in all my cars, chevron supreme...ive never heard of this happening before

he said he can reset the cel, and wants me to drive it to empty and refill it and drive it and see if it happens again.....
the 6 days in between that i had gotten the car back from them and the light going on again, the car drove fine so i guess we will see