C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Why does MB still make cassette players?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why does MB still make cassette players?!?

This is rediculous. Who the hell listens to cassettes anymore. I can't believe I have to spend an extra $700+ just to listen to my CDs.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
You're right. Same goes for all the other Euro options/features that aren't available here. But look how many people still buy the cars anyway. You'd be laughing all the way to the bank too if you could shaft thousands of foriegners (read *americans*) out of a few hundred dollars per car.

You can listen to CDs for a lot less than $700. Search the forum.

Last edited by avlis; 04-10-2003 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
Because they are smart business ppl in which you are naturally forced to spend a few hunderd more...and that translates to a huge amount of extra profit each yr considering how many cars they sell...

Also, they can brag about their "retro" standard equipment that no other car offers in modern days.... makes you feel special..lol
Old 04-10-2003, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
I can't believe I have to spend an extra $700+ just to listen to my CDs.
You don't! You can get either a CD changer for $400 or a (better sounding) euro-spec Becker Audio10 in-dash single disc CD player/radio for $200. Either way, LOTS of people still use cassettes. I see rows and rows of cassettes in record stores all the time. Books on tape are also very popular. If the idea on MB's part was simply "let's make them spend more for CD", then they would not include a standard CD player in ANY of their cars.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
You'll get some insight here...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=11209
Old 04-10-2003, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree that they want to maximize the profit, but perhaps another reason is a lot of MB owners (especially E and S class owners) are fairly old. They might still keep some tapes at home. It will be handy if their cars have a cassette deck.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Jim Banville
You don't! You can get either a CD changer for $400 or a (better sounding) euro-spec Becker Audio10 in-dash single disc CD player/radio for $200. Either way, LOTS of people still use cassettes. I see rows and rows of cassettes in record stores all the time. Books on tape are also very popular. If the idea on MB's part was simply "let's make them spend more for CD", then they would not include a standard CD player in ANY of their cars.

i'm not quite sure, but i don't remember seeing any cassette sections at music stores anymore. like best buy, tower records (ironic name), target, sam goody's, etc. does amazon sell music on cassettes?

do you mean blank cassettes?
Old 04-10-2003, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's just the German's way of punishing the U.S. war mongers for attacking Iraq and their friend Hussein. They are probably on the floor laughing their buts off when they install the cassette radio on U.S. cars. I'm pretty sure they sabotage each and every car going to the U.S. How else would you explain that these are reliable everyday taxi cabs in Europe but fall apart in the U.S. in the hands of consumers?
Old 04-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
It's just the German's way
Believe me...Germans really couldn't care less how they have to assemble a car for whatever country. It is MBUSA who makes up the specs on how to get the cars delivered from factory, NOT MB GERMANY!

nevertheless...I think MB thought about the occasional euro dude that is trying to make some money on their products...reminding me to note here that I have quiet some OEM MB radio CD units available...

greetingz,
Old 04-10-2003, 06:30 PM

2003 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan/2008 M3 Coupe M-DCT/1996 328i (Gone)/1988 190E 2.3 (Gone)
Re: Why does MB still make cassette players?!?

Originally posted by shortbear
This is rediculous. Who the hell listens to cassettes anymore. I can't believe I have to spend an extra $700+ just to listen to my CDs.

If MB can find an in dash 8-track player, they will install them in all US-spec. vehicle!!! We are lucky that they couldn't find a German supplier that still make those stupid stick for hood-support like G-35 did.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Harris
I agree that they want to maximize the profit, but perhaps another reason is a lot of MB owners (especially E and S class owners) are fairly old. They might still keep some tapes at home. It will be handy if their cars have a cassette deck.
Are you trying to say that being old they won't spend some peanut money to buy their favorite music on CDs, having already shelled out some 100K on their S class???
Old 04-10-2003, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by vadim
Are you trying to say that being old they won't spend some peanut money to buy their favorite music on CDs, having already shelled out some 100K on their S class???
It is not the matter of whether they have money or not. Its just I know some of my parents friends still have their favorite songs on tapes. Some older generation people dont like to push too many buttons.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by Harris
It is not the matter of whether they have money or not. Its just I know some of my parents friends still have their favorite songs on tapes. Some older generation people dont like to push too many buttons.
My friend's grandparents bought a Land Rover with a CD-changer. You should have seen how excited they were to buy their first CD to put in it. I'm pretty sure that my dad doesn't own a single CD either. Some people just don't care about music, or are fine listening to the radio.

Cheers, BT
Old 04-10-2003, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Audio is the one area I have a gripe with. Here we are in 2003. Honda Accords come with voice-activated DVD nagivation systems. What do we get? El cheapo slow-*** CD-based GPS with no touch screen, no DVD, no voice-activation.

And then there's the lame old cassette player. I haven't touched a single cassette tape in like years and they're still delivering decks with that crap. Meanwhile my friend's Civic EX comes with a CD player.

MB needs to shape up and shape up fast!
Old 04-10-2003, 09:21 PM

Camry
I was told what seems plausable - That Mercedes makes long term deals on audio to keep the price down for them. This worked out well for them prior to the 90's when technology was slow to change. With CD & NAV technology they have been caught asleep at the wheel. If you want to read some scathing posts regarding this - check the e-class debocle regarding non-available Command after they have already prepaid.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Why does MB bother to include a standard CD player in the E, S, SL, CL and G classes (more than 50% of it's US line)? Surely MB feels that the people who can afford the upper half of thier line can afford to add an optional CD player.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:37 PM
CRB

Originally posted by trench
My friend's grandparents bought a Land Rover with a CD-changer. You should have seen how excited they were to buy their first CD to put in it. I'm pretty sure that my dad doesn't own a single CD either. Some people just don't care about music, or are fine listening to the radio.

Cheers, BT
What is the average age of MB owners? I think that this is a good point.

People who really care about music won't be listening to OE systems very long anyway.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Reasons to use casettes?

FYI...CDs are at the low end of sound reproduction quality. Casettes are useful for self editing sound bites and making compilations from different sources. CDs are 'easy', but not necessarily better. The reason the industry went to CDs is because they are cheaper to reproduce and they can make more money...not for sound quality. You all sound like a bunch of snotty arrogant kids more interested in 'flash' than substance :-) Casette decks add little to the cost of the radio and offer more listening choices....like you have in your home. If you don't like it, don't use and stop whining.

Last edited by mleskovar; 04-10-2003 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by oggle
Audio is the one area I have a gripe with. Here we are in 2003. Honda Accords come with voice-activated DVD nagivation systems. What do we get? El cheapo slow-*** CD-based GPS with no touch screen, no DVD, no voice-activation.

And then there's the lame old cassette player. I haven't touched a single cassette tape in like years and they're still delivering decks with that crap. Meanwhile my friend's Civic EX comes with a CD player.

Civic... I rented a Fiat Punto in London 3 months ago, it came with an in-dash CD player and RDS-enabled radio. That car was so small - I could reach the tailgate from the driver's seat. Compared to it, a Civic looks like a spacious family sedan.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by oggle

Civic... I rented a Fiat Punto in London 3 months ago, it came with an in-dash CD player and RDS-enabled radio. That car was so small - I could reach the tailgate from the driver's seat. Compared to it, a Civic looks like a spacious family sedan.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Re: Reasons to use casettes?

Originally posted by mleskovar
FYI...CDs are at the low end of sound reproduction quality. Casettes are useful for self editing sound bites and making compilations from different sources. CDs are 'easy', but not necessarily better. The reason the industry went to CDs is because they are cheaper to reproduce and they can make more money...not for sound quality. You all sound like a bunch of snotty arrogant kids more interested in 'flash' than substance :-) Casette decks add little to the cost of the radio and offer more listening choices....like you have in your home. If you don't like it, don't use and stop whining.
Bicycles are good too in a world of cars. After all, you get free excersize out of it.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
MB surely needs to hire some japanese engineer from denso to re-structure their gadget dept...as someone mentioned earlier, even 03 honda accord has voice activated dvd gps and mb is still trying to work out the kink on how to put a dvd gps in the new e-class..what a shame!!!

Once i am bored with the slk, i think i may go back to lexus and pick up the sc430...but don't get me wrong, i still think that the new SL is the best of the best becuz of its killer look!!! But a broke a$$ like me just can't afford one...:o
Old 04-11-2003, 04:27 AM

2002 C320
Change ur HU to audio 10 =) sounds better and a cd HU
Old 04-11-2003, 08:37 AM
taylor192

Re: Why does MB still make cassette players?!?

Originally posted by shortbear
The thread soeone linked in is exactly why.

More successful people drive a Benz (they cost more, obviously you are doing something better in life), and one of the things I just read was "Leaders are Readers". Successful people tend to read more, and one of the advantages of a cassette player is getting books on tape, or seminars/conferences, ect... so the tape player may remain the standard for a few years to come.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Re: Re: Why does MB still make cassette players?!?

Originally posted by taylor192
The thread soeone linked in is exactly why.

More successful people drive a Benz (they cost more, obviously you are doing something better in life), and one of the things I just read was "Leaders are Readers". Successful people tend to read more, and one of the advantages of a cassette player is getting books on tape, or seminars/conferences, ect... so the tape player may remain the standard for a few years to come.
and we're good lookin' too!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why does MB still make cassette players?!?