C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

ACish noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
ACish noise

I have a strange sound that the dealership can't figure out. (this is an 07 C230)
After having driven the car for as little as 8 miles I can reproduce this sound but I have not tested enough to find out how many ways I can reproduce it.
After driving it 8 miles or further, If I turn the AC compressor off and just have the blower on a few minutes after the AC compressor is off, when taking off from a stop or revving in park/neutral there is an annoying Whirring sound coming from the engine on the passenger side. If I turn the AC compressor back on it stops. I can turn the blower control from the 1 to 6 setting and it doesn't affect the sound, If I turn the blower motor off the sound goes away. I think if this was a blower motor problem revving the engine wouldn't make a difference, nor would turning the AC on. Has anyone had this problem before? The dealership when I took it in for this problem replaced one of the idle pullies and the belt (for free) 2 days later the belt starts squeaking, I take it back and they replace the other idle pulley. But the noise is still there, they say they can't reproduce it and have never heard of this problem before.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SLK 55 AMG
I have this problem.
But it's really random when it occurs.

I turn on the AC, when I turn the AC off but leave the fan on a really tiny whirring sound is present.

The whirring goes away if I turn off the fan and turn the fan back on.

Very interested in a fix for this if there is one
Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
iJimpanzee,
There's a fix....it's just finding it in the next 6,000 miles.

We bought the car with 26,000 miles and only started noticing this since it's warmed up enough this year to start using the AC again. I guess we mostly used the defrost in the winter which runs the compressor.