C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c240's catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c240
check battery altenator visit workshop/ cat

Hi guys
I need help last week I drove from Cape town to Johannesburg half way my car just lost power and dies 200km from Johannesburg i got my 1st malfunction that said battery alternator visit workshop , took it in and they replaced my accelerator pedal and crankshaft postion sensor for ignition sensor and was told that was the problem drove back to cape town on sunday about 450km from cape town same warning car dies every 5km and after 2min i can start it again .
took my car in again and now im told its something to do with the cat and exchaust modifcation got the car a year now never gave me any problems till now and also didnt do any modifcations, Please any help or advise my happy is gonna kill me as this is costing a small fortune
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
You might have another faulty CPS.

Check fuel pressure on the front rail that connects the injectors at the Schrader valve. Should be >3.8 bar when cranking. When last did the car have a fuel filter?

If CPS & TPS are OK then it is most likely fuel starvation due to a clogged filter or buggered pump.

Please read stored codes on the car with an OBDII scanner & post them.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
You might have another faulty CPS.

Check fuel pressure on the front rail that connects the injectors at the Schrader valve. Should be >3.8 bar when cranking. When last did the car have a fuel filter?

If CPS & TPS are OK then it is most likely fuel starvation due to a clogged filter or buggered pump.

Please read stored codes on the car with an OBDII scanner & post them.
hi there sorry after all im a woman dont know what CPS &TPS are got a qoute back from them today of R30732.65 for a catalytic replacement..........but still why do my car die and I get a malfunction of battery alternator visit workshop my mind tells me if that is the problem why can my car start and everything else clearly if it was the cat why didnt they pick it up 5 days ago with the s diagostic why onlu now if its such a big problem making my car die
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c320
Battery /altermator.... Means your alternator is not charging... Pretty straightforward problem, the way the charging system is designed, the BATT warning will come on if the alternator is not sending power!
Did they not notice that BATT/ALT light??
Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 AM

probox toyota
I also faced the same problem. I have changed the catalytic converter from http://www.cwik.com. I am so pleased with them as they offer very cheap price and free shipping.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by vixen
hi there sorry after all im a woman dont know what CPS &TPS are got a qoute back from them today of R30732.65 for a catalytic replacement..........but still why do my car die and I get a malfunction of battery alternator visit workshop my mind tells me if that is the problem why can my car start and everything else clearly if it was the cat why didnt they pick it up 5 days ago with the s diagostic why onlu now if its such a big problem making my car die
Sorry.

CPS = Crankshaft position sensor.
TPS = Throttle postion sensor i.e the throttle pedal.

Please ask them what codes the car is displaying & post them here.

Your Cats will not stop the car from running unless they are totally clogged & they are obviously not otherwise you would not have got part of the way back to Cape Town

You need to have them look at the charging circuit. Something is wrong but it must be charging or you would have a flat battery & not be able to crank the car over.

You MUST check the fuel pressure. A borderline fuel pump or partially clogged fuel filter can cause what you are seeing.

Don't pay anybody for new Cats until you post the codes the car is storing. Make sure you use a reputable dealer or someone competent in Cape Town like Stanley Wilkinson or Russell Ormarod at Car Electric in Montague Gardens.

Good luck
Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM

2004 mercedes c240
Help urgent guys. Need help with my cat on my 2004 c240 4matic

Need help guys got a 2004 c240 4matic. The honeycomb rattles and I wanna replace the cat with a MB cat. Someone told me its the bigger cat going bad, can someone tell me which cat it's exactly called ? I know they have passenger n driver ones, but someone had said it was the middle one ? Is there such a thing since I can not find any thing by that? Mymercedesparts.com has very cheap stuff anyone know of any site better?