C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Interior LED's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully another MB soon..
Interior LED's?

I found a site that sells a set that includes all the bulbs for the w203's interior.

I think these are an okay deal for $39.99 being the whole interior..

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/ProductDeta...NDS_30&click=2

What about you guys? What do you think about the price?

I think i'm going to buy me this set also.. So, I know that someone here has done the resistor mod for the LED's so they don't "stay on" once they're shut off. So whoever does, please post the mod? or post a link if already posted

Thanks,
Poon Doc.

Last edited by Gynecologist MD; 08-04-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C350 Sport
Looks good. I am interested in the set as well.

It says plug and play. What else would need to be done for them?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 05 MB Komp
Looks good. I am interested in the set as well.

It says plug and play. What else would need to be done for them?
I think it was Jcnash that did the mod so they wouldn't fade off.

Hopefully he'll post something soon about it
Old 08-04-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK55 AMG, SL55 AMG, C55 AMG
I sent them an e-mail asking if they were plug and play for the interior with no need for other modifications and here is their response-

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM, www.iJDMTOY.com <ijdmtoy@motoringmax.com> wrote:
Dear Customer,

The LED bulbs for the interior do not have built-in resistors since it is not needed.

For the interior lights, changing them to LED would not trigger any error message. Only the exterior lights will trigger the error message.

We have many C-Class customers and nobody has complaint about getting the error message for the interior lights.

For any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Still don't know if that answers your question, as they did not answer my question about staying on, so hopefully other forum members will chime in.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Numerous w209 guys have their led's installed with no problems.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:00 PM

C240
Looks like a steal for all bulbs! Ebay sells the interior bulbs in sets of two, a set being 16 dollars a pop. (Last I checked.)

Savin' yourself around 25 dollars!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nokiemon
I sent them an e-mail asking if they were plug and play for the interior with no need for other modifications and here is their response-

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM, www.iJDMTOY.com <ijdmtoy@motoringmax.com> wrote:
Dear Customer,

The LED bulbs for the interior do not have built-in resistors since it is not needed.

For the interior lights, changing them to LED would not trigger any error message. Only the exterior lights will trigger the error message.

We have many C-Class customers and nobody has complaint about getting the error message for the interior lights.

For any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Still don't know if that answers your question, as they did not answer my question about staying on, so hopefully other forum members will chime in.
Jcnash said theres a different power cutoff for mercedes interior lights.
When you switch them to LED's and turn them on then off, they slowly fade off. That's what I meant for the need of a resistor, because he said it's a bit of a big glare at night? Idk, forgot lol
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by Gynecologist MD
Jcnash said theres a different power cutoff for mercedes interior lights.
When you switch them to LED's and turn them on then off, they slowly fade off. That's what I meant for the need of a resistor, because he said it's a bit of a big glare at night? Idk, forgot lol
Yep yep..thats what I said.

LED's dont fully turn off even when the interior light switch is off....this is a huge distraction at night when its dark out (no street lamps)...almost feels like the interior lights are on when youre driving.

Simple fix is a wire a certain resistor in parallel with the bulb. This resistor drains the extra current (mimicking a regular halogen bulb). I balanced heat beneration and resistance value to find the perfect resistor that serves the purpose...without heating up too much (which could lead to burning a hole in youre dome light plastic lens).

Sorry dude...still havent gotten that picture for you. Been crazy busy with work travel..just got back from taiwan day before and off to Hong Kong for a week starting day after. Will have it up for you soon though...meanwhile you buy the LED's. The resistance value is not dependant on type of LED...so go nuts with the LED and install it. Youll see what Im talking about and Ill provide you with the solution.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:14 AM

We'll be waiting
Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We'll be waiting
But don't wait to buy the lights. As kong a they are LED's this will work do go ahead and buy whatever LED lights you want.

Just watch out for size/fitment.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:56 AM

C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by jcnash
Yep yep..thats what I said.

LED's dont fully turn off even when the interior light switch is off....this is a huge distraction at night when its dark out (no street lamps)...almost feels like the interior lights are on when youre driving.

Simple fix is a wire a certain resistor in parallel with the bulb. This resistor drains the extra current (mimicking a regular halogen bulb). I balanced heat beneration and resistance value to find the perfect resistor that serves the purpose...without heating up too much (which could lead to burning a hole in youre dome light plastic lens).

Sorry dude...still havent gotten that picture for you. Been crazy busy with work travel..just got back from taiwan day before and off to Hong Kong for a week starting day after. Will have it up for you soon though...meanwhile you buy the LED's. The resistance value is not dependant on type of LED...so go nuts with the LED and install it. Youll see what Im talking about and Ill provide you with the solution.

Sup man looks like you know a lot about led lights. I just have simple problem. I installed 2 festoon led bulbs for my license plate lights that i bought off of ebay a while ago and they worked fine till the second day. I got error messages and the right side would always stay off. I looked up some solutions and only found a thread on putting a 10w 100ohm resistor parallel to the light. Unfortunately the resistor doesnt even fit in my housing. Is there any other solution?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM

2010 C350 Sport
It looks like the set does not come with the bulbs for the rear overhead light. Unless I am counting wrong. What bulbs would we need to add to get these too?

Last edited by 05 MB Komp; 08-05-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Redc230-K
Sup man looks like you know a lot about led lights. I just have simple problem. I installed 2 festoon led bulbs for my license plate lights that i bought off of ebay a while ago and they worked fine till the second day. I got error messages and the right side would always stay off. I looked up some solutions and only found a thread on putting a 10w 100ohm resistor parallel to the light. Unfortunately the resistor doesnt even fit in my housing. Is there any other solution?
First of all...you dont need a 100 ohm resistor. You can use any resistor 37.5 ohms or higher. The smaller the resistance, the better because it will draw less current from the battery, thereby prolonging battery life. So 37.5 ohms is the ideal number...but anything slightly higher is also OK.

Second, you only need a 5 watt resistor. You could use 10 watt resistors as well, but they are bigger in size and are unnecessary.

Third, you cant fit even the small resistors in the license plate bulb housing. Even if you can physically fit one, the heat generated will burn the insides of your housing in no-time. You need to remove the rear trim to access the wires that supply power to the license plate light housings and connect the resistors inside the trim. You also need to make sure that the resistors are tacked on to some metal part in there, using heat transfer paste so the heat generated is dissipated easily. If not, it MAY lead to your trim catching fire...bad news!

Do you have a sedan or a coupe? The trim removal on the sedan is apparently very easy, with the coupe trim removal being a little harder.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM

It looks like the set does not come with the bulbs for the rear overhead light. Unless I am counting wrong. What bulbs would we need to add to get these too?
It does, it's the "dome lights." They're included.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:01 PM

2010 C350 Sport
It does, it's the "dome lights." They're included.

There are dome lights in the front too. I have a seperate dome above the rear seat in my car.

I believe the front dome had 4 light bulbs in it. 2 for the map lights and 2 for the dome lights.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:08 PM

There are dome lights in the front too. I have a seperate dome above the rear seat in my car.

I believe the front dome had 4 light bulbs in it. 2 for the map lights and 2 for the dome lights.
I thought I had only 2 map lights for the front
Old 08-05-2010, 02:28 PM

2010 C350 Sport
I thought I had only 2 map lights for the front

I just went out to the car and figured it out.

In the front I have 2 map light bulbs and one dome light bulb. The dome light is different then the map lights and able to be set to come on when the door opens. In the rear dome light there is one bulb as well.

This set will work. I had always thought there was 2 bulbs for the dome light and 2 for the map light up front.

sorry for the confusion. I am ordering a set now. Gonna pick up some plate bulbs as well.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:34 PM

I just went out to the car and figured it out.

In the front I have 2 map light bulbs and one dome light bulb. The dome light is different then the map lights and able to be set to come on when the door opens. In the rear dome light there is one bulb as well.

This set will work. I had always thought there was 2 bulbs for the dome light and 2 for the map light up front.

sorry for the confusion. I am ordering a set now. Gonna pick up some plate bulbs as well.

I want to see how it looks when you get them in, make sure you post pics!
Old 08-05-2010, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are 2 "Map lights" + 1 "Dome light" in the front and 1 "dome light" in the rear.

The dome lights (front and back) are festoon type (either 39 or 42mm...not sure) and the map lights in the front are a halogen based focussed flood light type.

Dont bother changing the map lights because most peopel barely ever use them and findign LED's that match the fitment is very difficult if not impossible...just stick to changing the festoons in the front front and rear dome.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:27 PM

2005 C320 Sport, 2010 C300 Sport
All of my interior LED lights have resistors built in.
I've tried ones without resistors before (only because they were given to us by a factory) and didn't have problems with errors. I did however have a problem with them turning off. They wouldn't completely shut off. Apparently, there is a low electrical current running through the bulbs that still lights the LED when it's supposed to be off. Also, I wouldn't get any dimming effect.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:14 PM

2010 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by nrg_mike
All of my interior LED lights have resistors built in.
I've tried ones without resistors before (only because they were given to us by a factory) and didn't have problems with errors. I did however have a problem with them turning off. They wouldn't completely shut off. Apparently, there is a low electrical current running through the bulbs that still lights the LED when it's supposed to be off. Also, I wouldn't get any dimming effect.
Where did you get your bulbs with resistors built in?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:21 PM

I'm almost convinced not to get the LED's now, lol
Old 08-05-2010, 08:00 PM

2009 SLK 55 AMG
So back to the OP's original linked thread for LED Bulbs for $39.99

2 questions:

-Is this the full set?

-Will it require resistors?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 PM

2003 C230K Sedan
I just found a coupon code for 10% off. Enter in "GOJDM" (minus the quotation marks and hit apply. I'm thinking of buying these, but i think i'll buy a set of HIDs first.

Last edited by MbzC230K; 08-05-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo error
Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 PM

2010 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by iJimpanzee
So back to the OP's original linked thread for LED Bulbs for $39.99

2 questions:

-Is this the full set?

-Will it require resistors?
It is a full set. I don't quite get where the foot well lights are because I don't seem to have them but it comes with them too.

You will need resistors to make them shut off all the way and to fade. I guess I will find a set that has resistors built in already.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interior LED's?