C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Need Advice on Mirror LED Repeater

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 w203
Question Need Advice on Mirror LED Repeater

So my wife smashed the life out of the driver's side mirror backing into the garage tonight. The housing is broken, led repeater lens half missing, glass hanging by wires, and worse...now a crinkle dent just forward of the mirror on the door, just before the fender gap.

I remounted the glass and verified the motor functions to be ok.

Despite missing that thin piece of the housing (think strip that would be between mirror glass and window glass), I was able to tweak the retaining clip for the housing enough to still hold the housing in place.

However...the little rubber plug that goes into the housing for the LEDs was ripped out and still plugged into the damaged housing and the wires just dangling off the harness.

So...the LED repeater light on the damaged housing did not work and have the notification for Left Side Mirror Light in the cluster.

Out of curiosity, i pulled the right side housing to verify how the wires should be installed into the rubber plug.

I put the drivers side wires back into the rubber plug snuggly with a pick the same as they are on the passenger side.

I then pluged in the working passenger side housing to the drivers side plug ....it does not work! Tried reversing the pug in the housing, nothing. I put it back onto the passenger side and it works.

I am concerned there is more damage to the electrical for the LED repeaters than meets the eye.

How can i test the wire signal or what do you all suggest I try?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
On cars with the sunroof package the driver's side mirror also is auto dimming, the passenger side is not. This might have something to do with it not working when switched. Good luck - the mirror assemblies can be expensive and I'd go through insurance.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:03 AM

05 w203
So that explains the wires attatched to the mirror glass..

I think tomorrow i remove the LED unit from the working side and plug the wires from the damaged side directly into the LED unit, bypassing the little rubber plug inbetween and see what happens.

There is no way ot could be a fuse could it? That would be too easy! lol

Thanks for your response.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 PM

05 w203
Also wondering...the wire harness in the mirror assembly...can it be replaced? Others cars in the past I have bought side mirrirs for always came with the wires in the mirrir and a little pigtail that would be installed to the harness inside the door.

Is that the case with the Mercedes also?

Thanks again for any responses.