C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c230 battery, ac and lamps problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Kompressor 2.3L
c230 battery, ac and lamps problems

I have been searching through the forum and there seem to be a lot of post under battery drains but I have a few issues.

My car was stopped for almost a year, when I started fixing it up to use it again the battery was dead which seem normal due to the time it was not in use, but also the ac was not working. My car has a 2003 ac control unit although the car is from 2002. The previous owner said that the MB Dealer had exchanged it. Since I started using the car again the ac off light has been on non stop. I have check the system for refrigerant and the levels are high because the compressor wont start. I also tried the reset posted in this forum but the lights never stop blinking. A few months later the battery started dying during the night so I replaced it with a new one. But the problem still persist, after maybe 12 -15 hours of off time the car will not start. I have also noticed that the car has been telling me that the license plate lamp is out and the parking lamp but it will say this one day and it will be ok another day.

So my question is could all of this be related? I have replaced the battery, alternator, cooling fan (due to a raccoon) and the cam sensor. I also have the check engine light with the o2 sensor code.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by mb2002
I have check the system for refrigerant and the levels are high because the compressor wont start. I also tried the reset posted in this forum but the lights never stop blinking..
These cars don't like being left powered down & you might have to get it onto a Star to re-adapt/initiate the aircon controller.

Are you sure the vehicle has enough refrigerant pressure. It has a pressure switch which will not allow the compressor to start unless there is enough pressure in the system - I do not understand your statement in this regard above. This is done to protect the compressor if no refrigerant is present.

Odd light messages are probably because you need to clean corrosion off of contacts after standing.

The O2 sensor message is probably correct. Replace the upstream O2 sensor.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Kompressor 2.3L
Thanks a lot Glyn I will look into the lamp corrosion and try to take it to a mb shop to have it re-adapt. Also will try to get the o2 sensor.
About the refrigerant pressure I meant that when I check it it was pretty high, so it would not take any refrigerant. If Im right the pressure in the system is pretty high until the compressor turn on and then it drops to the normal operational pressure. I might be wrong, but I know the system would not accept anymore refrigerant.
Thanks again.