C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

m272 c230 performance camshafts/heads...?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 blk/blk C63 AMG, 2010 wht/blk c300 sport, 06 c280, 12 Triumph Daytona 675R wht/blk/red
thanks man. i think im gonna order a pair and see if te shop doing my eisenmann race can take care of the entire setup.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned

"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
keep us informed. i think there are only two other confirmed set of m272 headers on a w203 from this forum, those being from kleemann
Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Banned

obviously still "stuck" with the 2.5L, this is all just me playing mad scientist in planning mode, but
in regards to the 3.5 to 4.0 brabus conversion kit...
the HP is advertised gain of 327 up from 268...
why pay $24k+ to gain 60 horsepower when you can supposedly do a tune, camshafts, and headers for what would seem to be an approximate (advertised) similar gain?? Is there something Im missing here, or are the advertised gains from above mentioned mods ala carte not all they're advertised to be?
For example, if the kleemann cams are a advertised 15-20hp, tune 15-20, headers..?... seemingly puts you in the ballpark for a fraction of the cost.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nike Turbo Shox
Originally Posted by cpbeasley
obviously still "stuck" with the 2.5L, this is all just me playing mad scientist in planning mode, but
in regards to the 3.5 to 4.0 brabus conversion kit...
the HP is advertised gain of 327 up from 268...
why pay $24k+ to gain 60 horsepower when you can supposedly do a tune, camshafts, and headers for what would seem to be an approximate (advertised) similar gain?? Is there something Im missing here, or are the advertised gains from above mentioned mods ala carte not all they're advertised to be?
For example, if the kleemann cams are a advertised 15-20hp, tune 15-20, headers..?... seemingly puts you in the ballpark for a fraction of the cost.

24k? roflll fail fail fail fail. . 24k to gain 68 crank hp? dont even say you are paying for the quality. For 24k you could buy a used of course 335i, g37, evo 8/9, sti, mazdaspeed3/6 and a lot more cars that would make a joke out of that "BUILT" c230.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
It's a pain in the ***. The headers aren't designed for the w203. The cats require cutting and welding the pipes form the middle. They are on the side stock. The Downpipe doesn't fit in correctly (too much tilted) so you would need to custom fab downpipes. The header is too close to the steering shaft and rubs against it during fast cornering and high rpm.

The camshaft should be out of the question. Too much money and plus you would need a shop to install it (or a knowledgeable friend).

I would only recommend a tune.

Headers and Cam Shafts are way too much from kleemann.

3k for Cam shafts, 1.5k for headers add install that's around 6k at the very bare minimum. and you'll be lucky to have a 330hp crank w203.

Take it from me and don't waste time fixing up the w203 (power wise). If I was wise I would have not even bothered with all the mods.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini
24k? roflll fail fail fail fail. . 24k to gain 68 crank hp? dont even say you are paying for the quality. For 24k you could buy a used of course 335i, g37, evo 8/9, sti, mazdaspeed3/6 and a lot more cars that would make a joke out of that "BUILT" c230.
+1 get an Evo8 and put 8k towards the car and you have yourself a 500whp (awhp) beast. If you want to get more naughty get Tein RA Coils and you have yourself a car that is on rails
Old 10-29-2010, 11:48 PM

2009 blk/blk C63 AMG, 2010 wht/blk c300 sport, 06 c280, 12 Triumph Daytona 675R wht/blk/red
Originally Posted by Karo
+1 get an Evo8 and put 8k towards the car and you have yourself a 500whp (awhp) beast. If you want to get more naughty get Tein RA Coils and you have yourself a car that is on rails
i mean i completely understand what you mean about if you went back you wouldnt do it.. but at the same time.. was it that much work to put in the headerS? i bought a set of OBX kleemann reps and im waiting for them to come in.. how much was installation for you? and was it really that big of a pain in the *** to install? i have an 06 c280 4matic and i have been putting TONS of money into this car. and i mean tons... i could have easily bought a c55 or any other car.. but something about this being my first car, i cant give it up/sell it. its basically my life next to my girlfriend of 3 years and my pitbull i really just wanna get this car running to its full potential. the headers could add a nice touch that im looking for, and i think it would compliment the eisenmann race nicely if i could also get some cam work and a tune done. i know its going to cost a fortune if i go kleemann, so do you think it would even be possible to find kleemann rep cams? cuz that would be pretty sweet. also who would you guys recommend ecu tune wise? cuz i would like that to be done in the near future as well. thanks in advance guys.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Banned

I guess you guys havent followed any of my others threads...

I grew up helping my dad with his muscle car era obsession. tearing cars/trucks down to nothing, putting the body on a rotesserie (sp?), and completely rebuiding from the chassis up. As far as work on modern era cars go, I've done 3 cam/heads/headers LS1/2 cars by myself. I have no problem doing all the work myself and have the lift and tools at my disposal.

And also as Ive stated in other threads, Ive owned the 11 second car before, an 02 Camaro SS T56, more mods that I can list. Had to sell it upon entering dental school, and as Ive gotten older, my tastes have changed as have my curiosities. Id like to build a v6 car for once, and I absoloutely love my mercedes. Ive also never worked on a DOHC car before, so there's yet another goal of mine. So, after im out of school in may of 12 and take over my dad's practice, I will begin the task of having fun with an 06-07 c350 that I will be procuring sometime over the next year. im not going to set any world records with it, but i will have the time and money to see how far i can take a small luxury mobile with a DOHC v6. sounds fun to me!

sure, a few years into my practice im sure ill get my hands on something exotic and ridiculous. but this is a project id really like to take on.

oh, and id buy a new z06 over some evo crap anyday. no offense.

anyway, i was actually looking for some more educational responses than what i recvd. thanks anyway
Old 10-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Banned

all i was looking for was some info on if the #s in regards to cams, tune, and headers were as they are as advertised to be, bc brabus sure had to take this a very very long and expensive way to get similar #s out of whats advertised from any ala carte setup.

no shop or knowledgable friend needed for the cams - i am the knowledgeable friend when it comes to the wrenching, while i may not know everything about the m272 or w203, i know i can figure out how to take some valve covers off and change a few cams sitting on top of the heads.
as far as the banging headers, ill find the trouble spot and take a plasma cutter and a welder to it. sounds like no ones tried hard enough other than some banging around on the pipes.

again, i just wanna play, and have a one-off w203 in the process.

And Trini - all you do is dog the w203 and talk about other cars - why do you ever own yours man??

Last edited by cpbeasley; 10-30-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luke_Geezy
i mean i completely understand what you mean about if you went back you wouldnt do it.. but at the same time.. was it that much work to put in the headerS? i bought a set of OBX kleemann reps and im waiting for them to come in.. how much was installation for you? and was it really that big of a pain in the *** to install? i have an 06 c280 4matic and i have been putting TONS of money into this car. and i mean tons... i could have easily bought a c55 or any other car.. but something about this being my first car, i cant give it up/sell it. its basically my life next to my girlfriend of 3 years and my pitbull i really just wanna get this car running to its full potential. the headers could add a nice touch that im looking for, and i think it would compliment the eisenmann race nicely if i could also get some cam work and a tune done. i know its going to cost a fortune if i go kleemann, so do you think it would even be possible to find kleemann rep cams? cuz that would be pretty sweet. also who would you guys recommend ecu tune wise? cuz i would like that to be done in the near future as well. thanks in advance guys.

Schrick makes cams for the m272 for quite a bit cheaper. theres even a mild grind and a racier grind.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:50 AM

Schrick makes cams for the m272 for quite a bit cheaper. theres even a mild grind and a racier grind.
thanks a lot man. i will be ordering them in that case. i guess im gonna be the next to work in these obx headers and schrick cams. thanks for all your input it has been a lot of help and pointed me in all the right directions as far as the tune goes (as you seem to be the most enthusiastic when it comes to modding the w203 in the same type of ways i want to ) who would you recommend to do the ecu reflash? and also have you heard anything about the Evosport under-drive pulley kit for our cars as well? i was considering buying one.. 10-20 percent reduction in driving the cars systems.. focuses on the water pump, power steering pump, and alternator. would that be a good idea?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:53 AM

where could i order a set of them btw.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
I tried to illustrate the cats. Don't laugh at my drawing

The original cats the pipe is welded on the side. Your muffler guy has to weld it in the middle. Basically cut the the mouth of the cat (not the comb) and weld a mouth in the middle. Second the downpipe is too curved. You can use the bracket and remake a new downpipe.

My guy charged me 350 but I gave him 400. He was a friend so he gave me a good deal. Just make sure they don't give you a price and after say "ohh these aren't made for this car" and add extra money. Because you have to custom fab the down pipes. Also you might get steering shaft rub against the headers. If so your guy might need to heat the header and bang it a little. The rub isn't anything too crazy. Just on fast speeds when making a turn (only left for me), engine moves thus header rubbing against steering shaft.

I would definitely get a tune. My tuner got me a lot of power. More than any tuning company advertised and I really feel a huge difference. On your side I would hit up TTMotorsports. His name is Bruce and he is a sponsor on this forum. I believe he has a record for the fastest Benz as well

Last edited by W203E35; 12-01-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
http://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/lshop,...ercedesv6,.htm

Or you can hit up Max Hughes on this forum and he can help you with a turbo list. He has a lot of knowledge about turbos. If i'm not mistaken you can build a turbo kit for under 3k
Old 10-30-2010, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
if you really gonna mod it. Just add a centrifigual supercharger. You can attach the centrifigual sc off one of the holes on the engine block and put air to water intercooler in the valley of the engine or go with a air to air intercooler. Then upgrade to 1000cc injectors and tune it.

You'll have the whp gains similar to turbo but less lag and it'll be lot cheaper then trying to build the block.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Banned

Brad @ Evosport can also hook you up, without worrying about dealing overseas.
His reply to me:
"Cale,

Schrick cams MB M272 V6. 268 degree - $2650

We can have them as early as Tuesday."
Old 10-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

Schrick's catalog:

http://www.avl-schrick.com/dat/MK/Sc...202009%20E.pdf

Scroll down and see the parts for yourself.

I was mitaken, they only make one grind. But at least theyre willing to advertise their cam specs, whereas Kleemann caims theyre "proprietary" and will not release them under any circumstances. Come time to buy for me, Im going to call Cory @ Kleemann and ask him to tell me if his cam has bigger #s compared to Schrick and tell him the several thousand dollar purchase is on the line for such.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
if you really gonna mod it. Just add a centrifigual supercharger. You can attach the centrifigual sc off one of the holes on the engine block and put air to water intercooler in the valley of the engine or go with a air to air intercooler. Then upgrade to 1000cc injectors and tune it.

You'll have the whp gains similar to turbo but less lag and it'll be lot cheaper then trying to build the block.
That would be sick!!!! When I went to Gintani and saw those Centrifugal blowers on the E93 M3s I fell in love.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Also if you want to go with boosting, don't be discouraged with the high compression of the engine. It can be done, not a lot of boost but it can be done. Worst case scenario you add a meth kit in the trunk and bump up the boost. I don't think you guys would have any problem because you're not here in CA where our gas is crap!!!! I think if you run 93 and boost 5psi you should be fine.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
+1 On TTMotorsports. Bruce is a real cool guy. Not to mention they put on some really fast cars from the shop, a E55 out of there ran my boy's Evo 8 a while ago even though the AMG didn't win, but Im sure it was doing some numbers comfortably. Right now I am looking for a new car I was on the rotary train, but I am looking for fun so I have set on a rsx type s in blue and on some gold Advan RGII's. It will be boosted looking at 500whp to the front wheels is potential for fun. I wanted to buy a evo, but just certain things won't work for me one being insurance. The rx-8 is nice and all, but just no midrange power or torque from the rotary. I'm basically set on the Rsx for the time being.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Honestly. At the end of the day the same money you'll spend to do work on the benz for more power you can just buy something else. A honda preferably and not to mention how simple the cars are.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Karo
Also if you want to go with boosting, don't be discouraged with the high compression of the engine. It can be done, not a lot of boost but it can be done. Worst case scenario you add a meth kit in the trunk and bump up the boost. I don't think you guys would have any problem because you're not here in CA where our gas is crap!!!! I think if you run 93 and boost 5psi you should be fine.
Good advice, karo. That had crossed my mind, seeing as how acheiving above 350hp N/A with the 3.5 would be a fruitless venture without some boost in the end. I'll keep that in mind once I run out of options.

Honestly. At the end of the day the same money you'll spend to do work on the benz for more power you can just buy something else. A honda preferably and not to mention how simple the cars are.
A honda?

As I once stated before. If I was in this for raw, cheap, unrefined horsepower, I'd buy back another LS1/T56 powered '02 Camaro Z28 or SS for $8k, put a $300 cam, $600 in valvetrain upgrades, $1200 heads, $800 long tubes, and have 500+hp RWD american monster, naturally aspirated without even the slightest help from boost, DOHC, or VVT.

obviously you're young and all you care about at this point in your life is being the fastest kid on the block.

Dont get me wrong, I get wood when Im at the helm of even 400hp, but I'm in the mood to work on a project that suits my tastes for the time being. I've had the 11 second car. I want to do something different now.

Now, I've had about enough of defending my intentions of building a m272.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
You'll be one of the first as we were going back and forth in the previous thread why not add a C55 to the list?
Old 10-30-2010, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Force induction or buying a faster car are still going to be the cheapest ways of adding more power. So you should figure out how much you really want to spend to be unique.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

+1 On TTMotorsports. Bruce is a real cool guy. Not to mention they put on some really fast cars from the shop, a E55 out of there ran my boy's Evo 8 a while ago even though the AMG didn't win, but Im sure it was doing some numbers comfortably. Right now I am looking for a new car I was on the rotary train, but I am looking for fun so I have set on a rsx type s in blue and on some gold Advan RGII's. It will be boosted looking at 500whp to the front wheels is potential for fun. I wanted to buy a evo, but just certain things won't work for me one being insurance. The rx-8 is nice and all, but just no midrange power or torque from the rotary. I'm basically set on the Rsx for the time being.
you'll be a highway monster but spin all the way from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and maybe get some traction in 4th from a dig.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: m272 c230 performance camshafts/heads...?