C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

iPhone and Audio 10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S205
iPhone and Audio 10

Hi Guys,

I've been searching for the straight forward answer unfortunately with no success...
I own 2001 W203 with factory fitted Audio 10 and some time ago I've been given the iPhone.
From my research it seems there is no cheap solution to connect it to the in-car stereo, some advanced FM modulators are a solution but they can cost as much as £250 which is too much for me.

I thought it will be cheaper to buy on ebay Audio 20, but I'm still not sure if this will solve my struggle to get the iPhone connected and functional.
It seems there are many various types of Audio 20 and not all of them will do the work. I've got the opportunity to buy Audio 20, model no MF2730, can somebody advise if it will do the work? Would it fit my W203?
Or what that Audio 20 need to have to be able to connect the iPhone?

I really would love to have the possibility to navigate using the steering wheel buttons (next, prev, volume up and down would be enough).
However I must admit it would be tempting to have the possibility to answer the calls, but that can't be too easy as I don't believe I have a mic in my car even if my steering wheel has the buttons to operate the phone...

I care about the sound quality, and I don't want to use any cigarette lighter FM modulators.

So to sum up, is there any solution to connect the iPhone to Audio10 and fit within £100 budget?
What I need to know before buying the Audio 20 to be sure it can be used with the iPhone and at least next, prev, volume buttons on the steering wheel?
What extra would I have to buy to use the iPhone as an in-car compatible phone?
Can you recommend any garage around London that can do the job?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2010, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White w203 C200K Elegance
First off, an audio 20 unit won't fit in your 2001 w203, without replacing all your fascia & Upper Control Panel & Climate Control Unit as well as a new mounting bracket.

Easiest solution is an FM modulator, BUT thats only about as good as prefect radio quality.

Other solution is to buy a w203/w209 comand unit (the 01-04 version) should fit straight into you car (well need some rewiring). This unit comes with an AUX connection, which means you will be able to play from your ipod BUT to change songs you will still have to change it on your ipod itself.

Last edited by tijn; 11-18-2010 at 01:21 AM.