C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Lemon??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C240
Lemon??

Hello,

I am new to this forum although since I bought my first
Mercedes about 2 months ago / I have visited this website as a guest...

So, I am into month #3 of owning a 2005 C240. The car just turned over to 50,000 miles, and I feel like I bought a big piece of junk!!

1) The first week I had the car (which I purchased certified, used from a local dealer), the key fob died and there was an annoying cricket noise coming form the vents. I took the car in for service, they did replace the battery in the key (for free, nice), but the vent would NOT squeak that day (argh!). Anyhow, there contuinues to be cricket noises, at least 80% of the time, which is quite annoying on my 45 minute drives to / from work.

2) In the meantime since my first appointment, I had a headlight burn out (thankfully, a cheap and quick fix at the dealership).

3) I have also experienced the car randomly shaking as if it is going to stall at traffic lights / only happens about once every few weeks, plenty warm, premium gas is used.

4) If I am driving at 55 mph, and let off the gas, there is a noise coming from the back of the car somewhere (?????). It is most moticeable on really smooth roads. Almost sounds like a wheel-bearing noise, or tire noise of some kind.

I am so disappointed in this car! I definitely feel like I bought a Dodge. I bought this car to upgrade from the usual Toyotas and Hondas I am used to driving. I'm beginning to wish I chose a Lexus or an Acura

Anyone have any ideas on the shaking/stalling or rear noises??? I would like some input before I deal with mb again.

I also purchased 2 years of extended warranties with the car, so hopefully I should be too shocked when these problems do get fixed.

Thanks so much!!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I'm not understanding your problem here. You bought the extended warranty, have them fix these annoyances to your liking.

My guess is that that noise is a wheel bearing like you said, and of course, that wouldn't be covered, so you'd be out of pocket on that much of it, but the rest they should do.

Isn't a 2005 C240 cheaper than the comparable Camry or Accord at this point? If you had wanted long-term reliability and no squeaks or rattles, you're right - you would have been better off with an Acura or Lexus, on average.

Just turn up the radio like most of us do, and the rattles/squeaks magically go away.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:01 PM

13 Jeep JKU Sahara w/4" lift Kit & the works,2015 Toyota Sienna XLE,2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
[/quote]....Just turn up the radio like most of us do, and the rattles/squeaks magically go away. [/quote]

:r olf:
Old 12-08-2010, 06:19 PM

05 C230 Kompressor
LOL

I've never heard the noises before since the stereo or the ipod is always on

On a serious note, the idle is probably your Throttle Body slowly going out. This happened to mines little by little. Expect it to be an issue. But my statement does not mean by pass all basic troubleshooting and go for the TB replacement. You still have the Fuel Delivery items (injectors/rails/etc..), MAF, Fuel Filter (possible replacement, Im not sure if you know how long it has been since the last change).

All those things can make a difference or not.

Welcome to the world of Mercedes.

Last edited by seagel1000; 12-08-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
I wish I had warranty still. Just keep taking it in. MB dealers are a pain in the butt to deal with. I've had my battles with them and even went to different dealers and never got good service. Just keep taking it in and always report the same problem over and over again. Sooner or later they will fix it.

I went in 3 times for my transmission until they finally changed the valvebody.

I went in 4 times for my engine consuming oil until I finally found the oil leak myself which they said no leaks and everything was fine before my findings.

Also I want to make it clear F MBUSA HARD!!!!!
They are even bigger A holes!!!!

Keep taking it in and in and in until they solve your problems...don't take "everything is fine" as an answer.

You paid for extended warranty and you deserve to get all these problems fixed. Don't be discouraged by the smart a$$ comments members make....let the force be with you

Last edited by W203E35; 12-08-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320 coupe
3) maybe you need service... most probably the spark plugs
Old 12-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
where are you located? Hopefully we can find you a good dealer.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 AM

C240
Originally Posted by samaritrey
where are you located? Hopefully we can find you a good dealer.
do you guys know any good dealers in Toronto (GTA) area?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 AM

CLK500
The squeek is probably the center section of your fire wall indoor your hood. It's removable and some times where it bolts in on the sides near the master cilinder and battery and even around the bottom it will rub and make noise. Some times you can bend it lube it or insolate it. I have taken an entire dash out to find the noise once but it turns out that what it was. I always use cheap gas it burns more complete less carbon build up.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Ok, you bought a used car with 50,000 miles, you don't know how it was treated before or what services were done...and you are disappointed?

I would expect any used car at 50K to have a share of problems similar to what you are describing. The key fob battery was probably due, a headlight is a random occurrence, but considering the age, probably not unlikely? Did you replace both of them, or just the one side? Bulbs do age and differ in light output as they get older.

In no way to I mean to discourage you, I think you can get everything you have mentioned taken care of, but they are part of buying a five year old car. If the previous owner ran poor fuel for the life of the car it could easily need plugs or a fuel filter this early in life. You are probably going to be looking at a car battery before too long.

These are great cars, but they are very maintenance intensive or the small things start to pile up and make you unhappy. They are very different from a Honda. I will be the first to tell you that my cars have had far more work done than any Honda I have ever owned.

Let the forum know where you are from. Dealership selection makes a difference. You have an extended warranty, so put it to good use.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 AM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
^ +1
Old 12-09-2010, 02:13 PM

CLK500
Originally Posted by 6speedclk
The squeek is probably the center section of your fire wall indoor your hood. It's removable and some times where it bolts in on the sides near the master cilinder and battery and even around the bottom it will rub and make noise. Some times you can bend it lube it or insolate it. I have taken an entire dash out to find the noise once but it turns out that what it was. I always use cheap gas it burns more complete less carbon build up.
You could try having the dealer check the engine control unit for software up dates too.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 147 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
These complaints you have are minor & once fixed they are great cars. You have no idea how this car was maintained.

Rear noise is likely tyre noise. Run your hand over the tread opposite to direction of rotation. If you feel any feathering or cupping of the tread then it's tyres. If not it could be a wheel bearing but more likely tyres - they sound just like a wheel bearing. Fit a decent set of Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's or PS2's & you will suffer no tyre noise. In Toronto you might want all season variants.

Regarding the engine shake it's most likely a dirty MAF. Have it cleaned or replaced - Get an OBDII scanner & check for stored codes. You could have bad wires, plugs or coils.

Make them sort the car out under warranty - Take no crap. You should have zero rattles. My car has zero rattles or squeaks.

Good luck!

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-09-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
I can tell you for certain the cricket noise is a blower motor and it's right near the glove box! It drives me absolutley insane, the only real fix is to have it replaced. If you turn off Auto climate and turn the dial all the way off it will stop. The bearings are dry and most likely worn. It will run about $280 plus labor to replace it.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

+1 Just remove the blower motor & lubricate the bearings - preferably with grease.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...glove-box.html
Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
In Toronto you might want all season variants.
A dedicated set of snow rims/tires is of course preferable.

Glyn, are PS2s still expensive by you? They still are in the US, even though they're fairly old at this point. Yoko ADVAN Neova AD08s aren't bad as well, and are a little cheaper than PS2s, for max/extreme summer tires.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

$264 per tyre fitted & balanced & free alignment check & nitrogen. 235/45/17. PS2

If there is something major wrong with alignment then you pay. If it's a toe tweek etc. you don't.

Agree on dedicated snow tyres although my friends in Burlington just outside Toronto don't bother on any of their cars.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:22 PM

2005 C240
Thanks so much for everyone's advice. I have an appointment to have the car looked at, so hopefully MB will fix all the things that aren't right!