C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

g35 coupe or c230 sport sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 02:50 PM
J P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g35 coupe or c230 sport sedan

Originally posted by FrankW
The performance for the US 3.0liter IS rack up pretty good against the 3-series, other than maybe the 0-60 time is a little slower. The 3.0 liter is only available for the US market and some other country that demanded them, btw. Toyota doesn't sell Altezza 3.0 in Japan. like the LS/Celsior, GS/Aristo, and ES/Windom...the IS/Altezza will most likely remain the same name when it's redesigned. May i ask what king of character it lacks? just let you know that I agree with its somewhat cheesy interior bits if that's what you gonna say.
I think he meant it was a sales flop, which it has turned out to be. Initially it was an OK sales success but for the last yr & a half sales have been low. To give you an idea, the C-Class outsells the IS by a 3-1 ratio. I do like the handling but I think the altezzas turn off a lot of potential buyers.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
I dont know about u but my MB dealer has alot of Mercedes on the Lot with practicly no options.
there will be at least one or two option. doesn't matter if it's cheap or expensive option.

from what outland said, sounds like he was just dissing the IS. Not about the sale figure to him. Over the years, the 3-series still have better sales figure than other brand (total sales figure that is). C has better sales figure past couple years because the 3 has been out since late 98, and people always want something new. That might have been the same case happen with the IS in the states.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
DUH, you think i don't know that! I do know it's just a newer version of the same engine. What's ur point?
That you are fixed on 'newness'. Anything new must be better, right? You made the rather foolish clame that the Altima used a detuned Skyline motor. Its not even close...that same 'VQ' motor has been around for a decade, perhaps more. And it didn't start out life in a Skyline, or anything even remotely exotic.

It sounds pretty stupid when someone calls I35 a I30 when the 3.0 liter engine has gone out of production. That's like calling a 330i a 328i or C320 a C280.
Shows you how forgetable the I30 and I35 are. Doesn't sound half as stupid as saying an overbored 3.0 mill is a detuned Skyline engine. The legendary Skylines were all inline 6 mills, the VQ's are V-6's. That would be like trying to claim an Audi V6 is a detuned Porsche flat 6!

yeah, they're all basically the same engine with different displacement, new, I would think that they are new.
No, not new. Same thing. Just overbored.

why are you showing the base price of the car? NO one will buy a car with absolutely no options.
What the hell are you talking about? IRRELEVANT of options, NISSAN has too many cars that are a little too much alike, all selling too close together, pricewise.

The dealership will almost never import a $27-29k car with no option.
Import it from where? Tennessee? Options are irrelevant...the car is overpriced.

oh yeah, G35's base price is $29650 + $545 (destination&handling) = $30195. With the usual dealer picked option Premium pkg, the car is $33395. That's with only one option and not yet with the NAV.

Maxima 3.5 SL $28900+$540 = $29440. With the typical Driver Preferred Package it is $30140. I don't think that those that buys the Maxima will get that Elite pkg or the Journey pkg. If they just need a family car to get the kids around.
Youve completely lost me, and everyone else. If they just needed a family car they wouldn't even bother with the Maxima. The Altima does everything the Maxima does for 6 grand less. Face it, the Maxima is aimed at the same market as the G35- and they sell for the same price. Tell me again, who is going to buy the Maxima, when for the same bucks he can get the better performing, upscale G35 for the same cash?
Old 05-11-2003, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g35 coupe or c230 sport sedan

May i ask what king of character it lacks? just let you know that I agree with its somewhat cheesy interior bits if that's what you gonna say.
All around, the IS is no 3 series. It lacks the performance, character and the styling.

As far as the interior goes, I kinda like the Chronograph IP...its certainly the most innovative and eye catching part about the car.

Styling wise, I have to admit, it does sorta look a Lexus version of a Corrolla. So that leaves character...something that takes time to develop..and there again, the car leaves you wanting. It has no storied history, no heritage, no personality. Aside from the "look at me tailights" and Chronograph IP, the car fades into the Japan, INC background.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:08 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by Outland
[B]That you are fixed on 'newness'. Anything new must be better, right? You made the rather foolish clame that the Altima used a detuned Skyline motor. Its not even close...that same 'VQ' motor has been around for a decade, perhaps more. And it didn't start out life in a Skyline, or anything even remotely exotic.

[B]

Shows you how forgetable the I30 and I35 are. Doesn't sound half as stupid as saying an overbored 3.0 mill is a detuned Skyline engine. The legendary Skylines were all inline 6 mills, the VQ's are V-6's. That would be like trying to claim an Audi V6 is a detuned Porsche flat 6!

[B]

No, not new. Same thing. Just overbored.

[B]

What the hell are you talking about? IRRELEVANT of options, NISSAN has too many cars that are a little too much alike, all selling too close together, pricewise.

[B]

Import it from where? Tennessee? Options are irrelevant...the car is overpriced.

Youve completely lost me, and everyone else. If they just needed a family car they wouldn't even bother with the Maxima. The Altima does everything the Maxima does for 6 grand less. Face it, the Maxima is aimed at the same market as the G35- and they sell for the same price. Tell me again, who is going to buy the Maxima, when for the same bucks he can get the better performing, upscale G35 for the same cash?
who said new things must be better??...where did you see that in the previous posts? oh, then why are you driving the W203 instead of the W202?

you sure love to get SHOT DOWN don't you. with that comment (or that G35/Skyline based on the Altima crap), just shows you how you didn't bother to read the previous posts OR KNOW anything about the SKYLINE new or old...I'm not talking about the discontinued twin-turbo inline six used in the/from R32 to recent R34. btw did you see me mention anything about the VQ starts it's life with the Skyline?...HA...ur a funny guy aren't you.

all i have to say is this----> here's a link to NISSAN Japanese website. http://www2.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/V35/0301/
btw just incase you don't know japanese here's the Skyline's engine information link http://www2.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/V35...CHA/index.html

IRRELEVANT of options???...HAHA. I guess that makes your car and a C320 sportscoupe the SAME doesn't it, since the 3.2 liter engine is really what most ppl called an optional engine...that sure makes you feel good doesn't it.

so define you definition of NEW.

again. GO TO THE LINK I POSTED WILL YOU!!! YES all previous Skylines all have a N/A inline six engine. All previous Skyline GT-R all have twin turbo inline six engine.

Import as in general Japanese or German cars. So what it's made in the US. It's not gonna make it a GM, a FORD, or a Chrysler.

Last edited by FrankW; 05-12-2003 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:13 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g35 coupe or c230 sport sedan

[B]

All around, the IS is no 3 series. It lacks the performance, character and the styling.

As far as the interior goes, I kinda like the Chronograph IP...its certainly the most innovative and eye catching part about the car.

Styling wise, I have to admit, it does sorta look a Lexus version of a Corrolla. So that leaves character...something that takes time to develop..and there again, the car leaves you wanting. It has no storied history, no heritage, no personality. Aside from the "look at me tailights" and Chronograph IP, the car fades into the Japan, INC background.
obviously you haven't driven one. Design wise, i have nothing to say. everyone will have different opinion. btw, just asking if you know if the Altezza is FWD or RWD? It's a Lexus version of the Corrola, right?
Old 05-12-2003, 12:02 PM

this is not too hard. the G35 coupe wins in every aspect. 3.5L v6 280hp. more room, looks 10 times better.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g35 coupe or c230 sport sedan

obviously you haven't driven one. Design wise, i have nothing to say. everyone will have different opinion. btw, just asking if you know if the Altezza is FWD or RWD? It's a Lexus version of the Corrola, right?
The IS is RWD. Ive driven one...its pretty dull. Smooth motor, interesting IP, choppy ride, stupid looking tail lights.. Dull styling, almost ugly.

I said it does kinda LOOK like a Corrolla, not that it is a Corrolla.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
who said new things must be better??...where did you see that in the previous posts?
Its just your attitude. You sound like you think everything 'new' is better.
oh, then why are you driving the W203 instead of the W202?
1)Because the W202 didn't offer a small coupe.
2)Because I didn't need a new car when the W202 was in production. Even if I did, #1 still applies. I'm not a sedan person...nothing against them, I just like the cleaner lines of two doors and coupes.

I see some older C230 sedans and C280's from time to time...still nice looking cars.

you sure love to get SHOT DOWN don't you.
You better check your aim. You keep shooting your own rudder off.

ith that comment (or that G35/Skyline based on the Altima crap), just shows you how you didn't bother to read the previous posts OR KNOW anything about the SKYLINE
The current 'skyline' has nothing to do with the legendary skylines of yesterday besides the name. And as far as my 'Altima' comment, I do recall reading somewhere that there is considerable Altima architecture in the FM2(that's the platform name, NOT SKYLINE). Don't quote me on this...I don't recall where I read it.

BTW, Just because a car is FWD, AWD or RWD doesn't automatically mean it needs a different platform. GM's Delta platform supports both front and rear wheel drive. The Rear Drive variant is called Delta Tunnel. Honda's Accord is the basis for all things Honda, the TL, RL, CL, Odessey, and MDX are all variants built on the same Accord platform architecture. Half of VW/Audi is on the A3/Golf platform.

new or old...I'm not talking about the discontinued twin-turbo inline six used in the/from R32 to recent R34.
That's the only ones that matter.

btw did you see me mention anything about the VQ starts it's life with the Skyline?...HA...ur a funny guy aren't you.
Busted....here you go.

"G35 IS SKYLINE with different badge"

" Altima and Maxima has detuned VQ35 engine from G35, FX35, I35, Murano, etc. It's detuned because Altima and Maxima are FWD. "
You can't have it both ways Frank. 'Detuned', eh? The Maxima(265) has more HP than the G35(260), FX35(245), I35(255) and Murano(245)!
IRRELEVANT of options???...HAHA. I guess that makes your car and a C320 sportscoupe the SAME doesn't it, since the 3.2 liter engine is really what most ppl called an optional engine...that sure makes you feel good doesn't it.

It is the same car. Just with an extra 2 cylinders, 900cc' more of displacement, and 23more HP. Hell, its not even a new motor. Not even 'new' by your way of thinking. MB's quasi displacement related naming convention dictates the 'new' name.

so define you definition of NEW.
New means new architecture, new design...not changing a few parts and calling it new.

again. GO TO THE LINK I POSTED WILL YOU!!!.
No thanks.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Import as in general Japanese or German cars. So what it's made in the US. It's not gonna make it a GM, a FORD, or a Chrysler. [/B][/QUOTE]

Let's see...the car is almost entirely designed here, its built here....how is it an import? Its from an Asian brand, but its got more US content than many 'domestics'.

Anyway, feel free to reply or not, I've lost interest in this thread. In general I normally enjoy your posts, but this thread is going to serve no further purpose.

Cheers!
Old 05-12-2003, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hmm cool website.

Something caught my eye on the Skyline's website: 4wd G35!!!

too bad it isn't offered here.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:32 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

again. GO TO THE LINK I POSTED WILL YOU!!!.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

you just don't want to admit you're wrong about the whole Skyline Is the G35 don't you? by avoiding going to the Nissan offcial site.

the new Skyline has everything to do with the past Skyline. Just not the GT-R. The GT-R is top of the line Skyline. The new GT-R has not came out yet. btw, previous Skyline all have 4-door model in their base line up. The GT-R only comes in coupe while the regular Skyline comes in both sedan and coupe with various base engines.

so the VQ35 which performs better in everyway than the VQ30 engine is not better?

check my aim? for what? are you sending me virus e-mails cuz you can't win on here?

half of VW/audi's platform is based on the A4/Golf/Jetta, not the A3. The A3 didn't exist until years into the previous A4's production.

busted??? about what? READ what I wrote, not what you think i said. I said Maxima has a detuned VQ35 that's "use" in the other cars (includes G35, I35, FX45, etc). btw i might use the word 'detuned' in the beginning, but later on i said they are the same engine with different tuning. you just didn't bother to read the rest of the thread.

new = Different from the former or the old. The VQ35 IS different from the VQ30, by 500cc, and different parts.

I guess you've lost interest because you don't know what you are saying... You might know more about the domestic or classic cars, but you sure don't sound like you know much about Nissan and its Skyline. other than what you hear the most, which is the Skyline GT-R. There's the base model called the Skyline, my friend.

it's good that you lost interest, so i don't have to spend more of my time responding to your contradicting comments.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:33 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by pokerFACE
hmm cool website.

Something caught my eye on the Skyline's website: 4wd G35!!!

too bad it isn't offered here.
i'm glad that someone understand the meaning of a 'link'
Old 05-13-2003, 11:53 PM

Lexus GS 450h
G35coupe gets my vote.
I 30/35 was a complete joke of a luxury car. That is why it is discontinued.
Skyline GT-R will not be a AWD G35, it will be a totally different car.
You have not driven both cars. The IS is so fun, it drives like the OLD E36 3. It has that distinctive interior love or hate. Those clear tailights everyone has copied. How the hell is that not character?
Old 05-14-2003, 12:18 AM
J P

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
You have not driven both cars. The IS is so fun, it drives like the OLD E36 3. It has that distinctive interior love or hate. Those clear tailights everyone has copied. How the hell is that not character?
While I agree that it's very fun to drive (love the handling), it's those taillights that are holding it back saleswise IMO. People w/ the $ ($30 K +) often hate those lights.

The IS is pretty much the slowest selling car in the class (3-Series, C-Class, A4, X-Type, G35, etc) for the last yr & a half. I can't see any bigger reasons why the IS is such a slow seller other than those lights cause the car is fun, safe & reliable.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:01 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
IS was slow selling probably because it only has one engine model to go with wagon/sedan/auto/manual. Other brand have more choices. different engines for different needs, some has 4wd option, some are much much more powerful, some comes in coupe, etc. Those tail light could use some work tho, but that's what makes it an IS and not something trying to copy other brand.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:15 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Outland, here's couple pictures for ya...

Skyline GT sedan

Skyline GT coupe

Skyline GT-R
Old 05-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g35 coupe or c230 sport sedan

Its loud, regardless if you have the pedal down or not. The lackluster interior quality and materials is mentioned in every review of recent Infinity and Nissan products. BTW, the Altima doesn't use a detuned G35 mill... the same VQ mill that's powered Maximas and Altimas for years got hotter tuning and better exhaust to make its extra 20-40HP. Its not a bad car, but you can't wish away its deficiencies simply because you prefer the stronger VQ motor.

Its not standardization, its called platform and component sharing...its an evolution of badge engineering.

The difference is, MB is moving premium content into its mainstream brand...Infinity is rebranding mainstream content as Premium...

I'm not saying this is bad, but it doesn't build a brand. The Brand is percieved as the expensive Nissan, or pricey toyota(lexus), or overprived Chevy(cadillac). Audi uses a similar strategy, and that's one reason its percieved as a lesser product than Benz or BMW. Honda hasn't quite figured it out yet, but seems to understand that folks would rather buy a less expensive MDX(pilot), than they would an overpriced Accord Coupe(CL- which, BTW, officially got the Ax thanks to dismal sales). Ford has totally botched it by making the X type almost entirely from Ford Mondeo parts....something that hasn't gone un-noticed.

GM has realized this, and they are moving Cadillac away from it by using independant platforms, unique motors, or introducing new platforms, technologies and engines on the premium brand first. The Crossfire uses the outgoing SLK platform, one that's due to be replaced in fall with an all new SLK based on the C/CLK platform. Its motor is also an older MB design, one that's already in the process of being replaced with '350' versions.

g35 coupe all the way. Please don't be deceive by a brand name. It's better to have a all around car. I personally laugh when I see a c class other than the c32.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:18 PM

C230 K
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: g35 coupe or c230 sport sedan

Originally posted by rogers
g35 coupe all the way. Please don't be deceive by a brand name. It's better to have a all around car. I personally laugh when I see a c class other than the c32.
that's why I get the C. An all around car. The G35 looks like an alien car. Too flashy and too much eye candy it makes my eyes sore. The C on the other hand is elegant and not too much LED to make your eyes sore.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:14 AM

E55
Long thread.

If I had to haul 4 people in my car often I would get the C Class. But Since I don't I got the G35 Coupe (yes it's an infiniti here in the US, but is a Skyline in Japan.)

Here are some of my complaints.
1. Power. It doesn't seem fast. But my previous car was an E55. Also to reach peak power I would have to run it to 5.5Krpm. That's pretty high.
2. Little creaks here and there when going over the bumps. Kind of annoying since my other cars didn't do that.... much.
3. Gas Milage could be better
4. Center console and dash is dated.

I have no regrets in getting this car.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:48 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Wreck...that add on lip and rims looks awesome on your car
Old 06-09-2003, 12:54 PM

Woah, I think I'm going blind from reading all the entire thread.

I thought the A4 and Passat shared a platform while the Golf/Jetta/Beetle/A3 shared a platform?

I'm getting confused by why there's so much controversy over whether or not the G35 is the Skyline. Skyline's in general are nothing. My uncle drives a Skyline sedan in Australia. It's not like some insane sports car, just a regular sedan. Why is it so hard to believe that it's the G35?
Old 06-09-2003, 12:55 PM

E55
heheh thanks man. They are 20x8.5 and 20x10 in the rear. The front spoiler comes factory when you order the full aero package. Not many G's have them.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:14 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
vyse, i think u might be right...a4/a6/passat share one and golf/jetta/a3/beetle share one. i stand corrected if i was the one that said the other way. there was so much confusing cuz majority of people only knows the GT-R by it's Skyline name, and they don't know that there's other base Skyline models. Usually only people who have actually seen the other model or follow the japanese motor news or a true car fanatics will know these kind of stuff. They don't want to admit the G35 is infact the V35 Skyline because their knowledge is based on what the US magazine tells them. And so when they are embrassed by the truth, they retaliate by keep saying irrelevent things.

wreck, 20??...WOW...so you must for the Brembo brake pkg too right? cuz i see the yellow-orange caliper. that is HOT! now u just need to find a way to s/c or turbo that V35 Skyline/G35...

btw, any more pictures?

Last edited by FrankW; 06-09-2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:47 PM

E55
Yah they are brembo's.. 20's is almost the standard if you put rims on the Z or G. You see alot more with 19's.

I have all my pics at home. I feel funny to post G pictures on the Benz site. I'll post a few when I get home.

Twin Turbo will be ready late summer by Greddy. Stillen's supercharger is done, but you need to modify your hood to accomodate the supercharger, yuck.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:49 PM

Twinturbo ? That's crazy. If you get the turbo kit, be sure to post pics in the off-topic section, I'd love to see some pics (or videos!)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: g35 coupe or c230 sport sedan