C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help...convince me...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help...convince me...thinking about another car

As my #1 choice for my car was the c230 sedan...i seem to have a certain urge to get the lancer evolution 8. For those of you that don't know this car it's a turbo 4 cylinder 271hp 273 torque.

Complete opposite of the Benz.

Even if the lancer evo has no type of luxury at all ,i have a certain urge to get that car. It looks really nice and is very quick as you can imagine. Something must be wrong me.

Someone convince me otherwise?...

Last edited by finalheaven; 05-04-2003 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Get the EVO.

You know you want it...

The Benz is an old man's car, in comparison. Sensible, but dull as US prime time TV
Old 05-03-2003, 02:10 AM

Re: Get the EVO.

Originally posted by Mike T.
You know you want it...

The Benz is an old man's car, in comparison. Sensible, but dull as US prime time TV
LOL so true. I am young i should be enjoying the sport type cars! haha. this was the benz forum right? =)
Old 05-03-2003, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
Re: Help...convince me...

Originally posted by finalheaven
Someone convince me otherwise?...
just go drive one. if that doesn't convince you, nothing will.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
If you want convincing, test drive both cars at the times that you do most of your driving - morning rush hour and evening rush hour.

While I am definitely older than most on this forum, I still think that the C230 Sedan is strong enough to have fun with on a twisty road, although you'll never make money with it at the stoplight drags.

The basic truth is that about 95% of your driving time is spent doing the monotonous routine (going to the store, going to/from work, going to a friend's, etc.), and 5% is actually spent having fun behind the wheel.

It all depends on how highly you rate your fun.

I will give one piece of advice (I learned the hard way): Don't buy the car if you've still got a "woody" from driving it. Wait a day, and see if it still seems like a great idea in the morning. Otherwise you may get saddled with a fun-to-drive car that you will hate after one week.

Been there, done that.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:51 AM
J P

Here is a rational argument for the C230 K sedan over the Lancer Evo:

1. The C230 K is much more luxurious, w/ very good performance. The Evo has excellent performance, w/ crappy luxury.

2. The avg person is getting about $1 K off msrp for the C230 K, the avg person is paying about $500 over msrp for the Evo, so you'll feel like you're getting a better deal w/ the C230 K.

3. Exterior styling is subjective, but some people will associate the Evo's styling w/ ricers while they associate the C230 K sedans styling w/ Mercedes.

4. Interior materials of the C230 K is very good. The interior of the Evo reveals its economy car roots (the regular Lancer is an economy car).

5. Safety. The C230 K has much more safety equipment. The Evo has: dual front airbags & originally could not meet US safety stds until Mitsubishi redesigned the front. The C230 K has: dual front airbags, front side airbags, & rear side airbags, & is a IIHS "best pick".
Old 05-03-2003, 09:43 AM

07' ML350
EVO will b driven more often by u. C230 will b driven more often by your technician.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:19 PM

In the beginning my choices were quite simple. It came down to Audi 1.8, Acura TSX, BMW 325, Lexus IS300, and the C230 Sedan. And the C230 Sedan came out on top. However when i was talking to one of my friends about it he asked me why i was getting a luxury car or a car that might only good on the outside to other people. He told me that i would have rather a lot of time after i get older to drive a luxury type sedan. He told me to rather drive a car that i would enjoy like a full on sports car. Of course his opinion was biased too because all he does is modding cars so he's a fan of full on sports cars.

Either ways however he is right. I am in my first year of college and driving a luxury car now might be bad as i should be enojoying other cars. And also it somehow makes me feel bad for being too young to drive a mercedes. (parents will help pay for car and i pay for car and full college) I do realize that there are a few others who drive a mercedes that are like 2-3years younger then me. However i still feel guilty for some reason. Funny thing being the evo 8 costs the same price.

As for the realibility for the mercedes i think that would make up for the severe uncovered maintanece fees for the evo 8.

Still the people who posted above me are right in that i might regret it. Then again i might regret not getting one. It can go both ways. It would prolly suck not to have any luxury when im just sitting down waiting to pick someone up. And i might regret while i drive that i won't have the evo 8 that could of have.

As anyone can tell i am completely lost and stuck inbetween. Sorry for going back and forth but i can't seem to help it. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:49 PM

2004 SLK Special Edition
I was in a similar situation between a new WRX and a new 2002 c230 coupe. I'm also in college and paid for the majority of the car myself. My dad and I talked it over and although this is just an opinion, we came to the conclusion that the Subaru, as awesome as it was, would not be as nice of a car 5 years down the road. I would venture to say that unless you plan on taking really good care of this car, it will probably not last as long as the MB, or age as gracefully. Also since it is a pocket rocket I'm sure you'll be driving it hard and smoking people all the time which although it's fun, it will take it's toll. Although there are alot of complaints from owners taking in their MB's too often for technical problems, this is bound to happen when you have so many different technical systems. They're right you probably won't be taking the Evo in as much, but thats because it doesn't have half of the safety features or systems the MB has. Not to knock the Evo which I know is a remarkable car but it is not at the same level when it comes to safety or convience. Also how many beat up, crappy looking Diamantes, 3000GT's, Eclipses, and galant's do you see driving around with nasty faded paint, and smoking engines. I see it all the time but maybe thats just me. I'm not saying the Evo wouldn't be a blast and I'll probably drool every time I see one but when re-sale time comes around you'll wish you had the Benz, or go get a used S4 and call it a day.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:55 PM

2004 SLK Special Edition
A few more things. Although the TSX is cool it's front wheel drive and that stinks, same story with the 1.8 audi. The BMW is underpowered and overpriced, although I'm sure it handles well. The IS300 is cool but you're really just getting a toyota, and they're about to update it anyway which would probably drop that value of it even more once you get it. Why don't you get a Z or an RX-8, they are both in the price range.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:27 PM

Adamrs80: I want a 4 door so 350z is out. And although technically the RX-8 is a 2door i really hate the looks. I can't stand it. As for the used car... yea i don't want a used car. I would get a new 1.8T then a used one. Sadly you are right, the tsx and the audi is both FWD. And i do not want the overpriced 325 and is300 i just don't like.

Yes the chances are i will be driving it hard and 5 years down the road when it comes down to resell it i won't get much out of it. But the only reason im thinking about it is that 5 years later i can buy the Benz then. I mean when am i going to be driving a full on sports car like the evo 8? Maybe i can drive it later after i graduate and get a decent job but i think it would be more right when i drive a mercedes then.

I guess it just really hit me hard. Shouldn't i be enjoying my car like hell? i will prolly enjoy the Benz too but as much as the evo 8? I am really lost. Sadly insurance for the evo will prolly be higher then the mercedes which then i might take the mercedes no matter what. I guess i'll find out when i ask for a quote.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:59 PM

I thoguht about an Evo7 last year, but when it comes down to it, it is better to pull up in the benz than in a Mitsubishi
Old 05-03-2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by 2SYKbenz's
I thoguht about an Evo7 last year, but when it comes down to it, it is better to pull up in the benz than in a Mitsubishi
That might be true in certain instances. But in other ones to pull up in a evo 8 would attract a lot more attention. Especially when im in college and i just park my car anymore im betting a lot of people will ask about it. Where as i pull up in a benz? A lot of people drive luxurious cars here.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:58 PM

the problem is though that a lot of people at least where I am don't know the difference between an evo and any other mitubishi. Don't get me wrong I love the evo's I wanted to get one and tune it, but I'm just saying a benz sticks out more at first glance than a mitsubishi.

I'd go and test drive them see which you like
Old 05-03-2003, 10:36 PM

2004 SLK Special Edition
The RX-8 does look a little different. Infiniti G35 sedan is also an option. It's price is in the same area and you get plenty of sport also with a little luxury. I would also consider a few other things. A turbo 4 will be running really high boost to be making that kind of power and even though the engine is built for it, I would rather have a car that is not tuned so close to it's limit. I totally agree with you though that this is the time when you want to have a fast sweet ride, and there is nothing like a turbocharged car. Your car may attract a little too much attention though. Every dude with a civic or anything else is going to want to race you, and even though you'll probably beat them all, it might get annoying after a while. Also the cops might be on the lookout for it as well since it's looks scream "i'm speeding" I had an RX-7 previously and as fun as it was I'm glad I have the MB now. No more sitting at Mazda dealerships being treated like a dumb kid. It is kinda nice to be taken care of when you go o a nice dealership, but that might be a minor thing to you. The Evo will definitly be more fun when you're getting on the highway and when you're smoking people but there are a few things you can do to the C230 sedan to give it a little more power. RennTech has some stuff for it I believe.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by adamrs80
The RX-8 does look a little different. Infiniti G35 sedan is also an option. It's price is in the same area and you get plenty of sport also with a little luxury. I would also consider a few other things. A turbo 4 will be running really high boost to be making that kind of power and even though the engine is built for it, I would rather have a car that is not tuned so close to it's limit. I totally agree with you though that this is the time when you want to have a fast sweet ride, and there is nothing like a turbocharged car. Your car may attract a little too much attention though. Every dude with a civic or anything else is going to want to race you, and even though you'll probably beat them all, it might get annoying after a while. Also the cops might be on the lookout for it as well since it's looks scream "i'm speeding" I had an RX-7 previously and as fun as it was I'm glad I have the MB now. No more sitting at Mazda dealerships being treated like a dumb kid. It is kinda nice to be taken care of when you go o a nice dealership, but that might be a minor thing to you. The Evo will definitly be more fun when you're getting on the highway and when you're smoking people but there are a few things you can do to the C230 sedan to give it a little more power. RennTech has some stuff for it I believe.
G35 i have considered but i don't like the looks. It not as bad as i think of the rx-8 but i also hate g35's interior as well. I would rather get a audi 3.0. They haven't been doing well so i could prolly get a few grand off.

And I can mod the engine without voiding warranty? Yea i might get annoyed later on but i don't think i'll mind that much. The attention might be a good thing. Not that i'm crazy about it but you know what i mean. (i hope so) As for the the police thing yea...it'll be bad...and prolly the insurance as well. But like you said this is the time. I bet you loved it when you first got you rx-7 and enjoyed it til the last minute? Problem is that i am afraid i might regret it. I have no clue...i'm really lost...
Old 05-03-2003, 11:35 PM

2004 SLK Special Edition
In most cases it won't effect the warrenty unless the dealer can prove that the problem (if there was one) was caused by the part you installed. So if you got the Evo and put a larger turbo on it they could then blame the engine blowing up on you and the warrenty would not cover it. Just an example. A mercedes dealership in Houston told me that if I had them install Renntech parts, purchased from them, the warrenty would hold up no matter what, but I think they would have charged alot for installation and marked up the parts. Generally though your in the same boat with most car companies, if they can't prove that your modification caused the problem then your ok, but it works both ways. I believe BMW's are covered if you install Dinan parts but I'm not positive. Have you considered a WRX? I know it's in the same catagory but it costs about 5 grand less which leaves you less money to lose in the long run, and it'll still go 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. Plus you'd have money left over to get all the Subaru factory parts they ARE covered under warrenty. Also Subaru upgraded the front end so it doesn't look bug-eyed anymore. They sound pretty rad too when you get on them. Or just get an STI because I've read that it is alot more comfortable than the Evo. I'm just afraid that you're going to get tired of feeling every bump on the road and being rocked when you go over the RR tracks, because the Evo serves one purpose, handling and flying both of which you won't be much of compared to normal miles. I did love the RX-7 but I sold if for the same reasons I'm talking about with the Evo. Some cars are better off as weekend warriors but since you'll be a daily driver it might get old after the first year. Also even if you do regret getting a slower more luxurious car, it's not like you'll be driving a pinto...you will still have a great car.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:48 PM

lol first sorry but i really hate how the wrx looks as well. Which is why i haven't considered one. I think the mazda 6 is ok but then i would rather then the c230. How long did you have the rx-7? I was planning to have my next car whether it be the c230 sedan or the evo for about 4-5 years then sell it. Of course after that 4-5 year period i would get a luxury car no matter what. Maybe the new c-class or etc.

As for modifiying i wasn't planning to modify any car i got. But if i get the c230 i just might. However i always tried to get a car within the 30k range. By 2-4 months Evo would drop below MRSP. Some already have and the options don't cost much. Audi is almost fully loaded and i can prolly get below MRSP. But for the c230 Sedan prolly the 04 if they have it out on time i won't be able to much discounts. And the options will bring the car over 33-34k i'm guessing and i do not want to spend more money on modifying it.

So to me its either all or nothing. My 3 choices after taking out TSX (i can't stand the car too much honda accord and just plain honda it in) are C230 Sedan, Evo 8 and Audi 3.0 (not quattro). Maybe i should just wait the 2-4 months and see what happens with the 04 models. Evo will stay the same though and i think the audi will too. C230 just getting a minor facelift prolly. Guess i'll just wait and see.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:42 AM
Guest0001

finalheaven

you kind of remind me of myself when i wanted to get my car.

i must have went through about 50 models trying to decide what i wanted.

i went through all the dealerships of numerous car companys, but when i stepped in to my mercedes dealership i was just in pure ahhhhh. it was heaven, i was in love. i am 19 yrs old, and the c class is for younger people anyway. yes its a luxury car but just because it is a luxury car that doesnt mean its for old people. lately mb is pulling the younger croud with their new cars. i even know some 19,20 year old students that come to school in the brand new E and S class. the car is theirs too! and their parents? well they drive the sports cars (Dad) porsches and m3 (mom) funny huh. should be the opposite. their are people that wait all there lives to own a mercedes benz. so i am blessed at having one at such a young age.

also dont listen to your friends too much

my friends always told me- get 330ci or a boxter or g35.

why do you have to have sports car, just cuz majority of young people drive pure sports cars doesnt mean you have too

also i do mostly highway driving (school) and crusing. there is no car in the world that cruises like mercedes, especially for long periods of time. the boxter , 330ci , and g35 were so uncomfortable to me that i could not stand it after 20 mins. sure it handled and performed good, but who cares, if i was on a racetrack maybe, not on the streets and highway.

people sometimes aske me why i chose the '4 door sedan'

my answer was simple "there is nothing like owning a mercedes benz" (and i point at the 3 pointed star) and thats it, it gets the message accross. being young and owning a benz is the best feeling in the world. looking at the beautiful exterior styling. georgous interior. smooth drive at high speeds. it is too perfect. if i could id be driving an S500 or E500 or the bentley at my age.

in the end i got what i wanted. i am not much of a porsche or bmw fan. maybe when im 60 and want to feel young again ill buy a 911 turbo or m3, but for now the benz is too satisfying. besides id probably take the c32 over the m3 and the sl55 over the 911 turbo. as for the japanese cars, great cars, but lack personality.

finalheaven it seems to me that you are easily influenced by other people. what you should do is sit down and ask yourself what car you really want. dont ask us, dont ask your mom and dad, and dont ask your friends. cuz then you gonna get even more confused. unless you are absolutely positive what you want dont buy anything.

as for me, i will be a mercedes benz driver for life. my dream is the CL500 designo, and i will own it before i am 30.

one of my friends told me something which goes like " in 5, 10, 20 years a mercedes is going to be respected"

in 5, 10, 20 years a g35 , 350z, evo, Sti(could they have picked worse name) or any other other pure japanese sports car will be and look like garbage. these are all fad cars. just my opinion.

so get the benz and enjoy the luxury of one of the best cars in the world

Last edited by Guest0001; 05-04-2003 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:29 AM

Damn i must admit that was really good. I am almost fully convinced to get the benz now. Benz is however the most expensive one from my choices but the insurance price from the evo should make it even.

Well actually i am pretty much convinced. But i have a few questions. I am going to wait for the 04 models as they are i think supposed to have some small face lifts. And now my 2 choices after ruling out the tsx is audi 3.0 and the c230 sedan. Audi 3.0 because they are having a very hard time selling and will go below mrsp. Comparing to those two spec by spec c230 falls behind. If compared to the c320 sedan it would win by all aspects but i do not have 40k I love the audi 3.0 looks as much as the c230.

And again thanks for your advice. It did really pretty much convince me.
(side notes: i wasn't going to get a sports car because of my friends but because i thought i should drive one now. Didn't want to drive one after i graduated then got a job and then be driving something like the evo. But yea i can drive better luxury cars later on too, i forgot how powerful they can be. M3, new S4 etc.)
Old 05-04-2003, 02:51 AM
Guest0001

i thought i did a good job with that essay long commercial lol

anyway so now its the audi and the benz huh

well if you get a nicely equipped audi 3.0 or c230 sedan its gonna be about the same. like you said about 40 gs. so id rather get the benz

well i will tell you this, if you wait till the 04 models there is no way you are going to get a discount. so if you want a discount i suggest you get it now.

audis are cool but they look too much like VW passat.

about sports cars. well depending what field of study your in and when you gettin married buying a house etc. then it comes into play

for me it goes like this

ages 18-22 undergrad
22-26 pharmacy school

around 28, 29, 30 get married, buy a house, buying CL500!!! for sure!!!!!!
30 to 40 - work to pay off debt from 250k in pharmacy school and pay off mortgage, and wifes furniture and shoe collection lol

if your married your wife is not gonna allow you to buy a sports car in the early part of marriage im assuming. after the kids are grown and they have their cars and the wife has her car! lol well you get where im going

ill probably be driving an SL55 or 911 turbo when im around 60. oooo that is lightyears away.

sorry for getting off topic!

anyways if you cant spend 40k for a car, you can always wait or get it a bit stripped. also if you paying payments its gonna hardly be a difference.

i also want to note that mercedes benz is great when you go pick you your date or gf . it has such a presence. but also becareful as it attracts mercenaries as well.

Last edited by Guest0001; 05-04-2003 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:22 AM

the c230 and audi 3.0 without taxes just base with options should come to about from anywhere 32-36k (i think the 3.0 would be cheaper though). Hard choice as the 3.0 comes with a more powerful engine and torque.

BTW a question for you. You bought a c320 Sedan. With those options you got, you could have easily got a 330i with options. What made the decision for you? If you chose between those 2 cars that is?
Old 05-04-2003, 03:40 AM
Guest0001

ahhh yes the 3 series

i was actually considering a 330ci but didnt for a lot of reasons. i wrote this in another thread also

330i was ugly too as it has the those black rubber **** on the sides and comes with amber lens

bmw is was the worst dealership experience btw

here is the list

1. bmw's designs are getting pretty old. they have facelifted their cars for 87th time and its getting annoying. i personally think is way too dated

2.the interior is pretty gay. if you have any taste, this interior needs lots and lots of work, mb wins this department by a longshot

3. you are going to have to order $10,000 options to make this car decent. nothing is standard, not even on the m3!!!!

4. sport package - drove one with and without it. without imo bmw's supposed sportyness is gone. with it is very sporty but yet exremely uncomftorable for long periods of time.

5.chick car status. the 3 series is known for its female buyers i think the ratio is 10- 1 female to male. and every grandmother, mom and daughter drive one!

i can go on with bmw about the negatives but i think i ll stop. the only positve thing about bmw i like is that u can get a nice coupe with the 3 series

well that about sums it up.

unless your gonna get an m3 the 3 series is not worth it imo

now for the C Class

1. Love at first sight. just looking at the beauty of there cars is more than half the reason to buy it! MB is known for there styling and they look good for yrs and decades later

2. MB interior is beatiful as well. i personally love the wood and digital climate control and just everything else around it. looks great imo

3. options here not as bad as bmw. but still need improving. but if u get the sport package u pay nothing extra, so thats a plus

4.sport package- i personally dont like the amuminum trim and the rims. but when i drove 320 sport i noticed it was still as comftorable as the non sport. also mbs cars are soooo smooth. when u hit the gas it doesnt automatically take off like bmw. it takes its time and builds up, i love that! i dont care for quick accelaration, not my style

5. status- its an MB, its power, and prestige. the car holds such a presence. ITS A MERCEDES BENZ!!! i also want to note that comfort, relibility, and safety were my # 1 priorities in buying cars. MB is high in all those categories.

i hope thats enuogh to make you wanna buy the benz.

i think they make the best cars. u get luxury and performance- beautiful combo
Old 05-04-2003, 03:45 AM

lol i c. Good reasons. Well the BMW 3rd series is finally get a complete make over 05 supposedly. I completely agree with the interior. And supposedly new C-class to be made at 06.

My dilemma: Audi 3.0 for cheaper or c230. Audi being more powerful and compared to the c230 sedan.

Last edited by finalheaven; 05-04-2003 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:36 AM

2004 SLK Special Edition
Don't get the Audi because it's front wheel drive. That alone limits the car greatly. Or get the 1.8 Quattro and then get a chip for it tha would bring it's power up to the same level as the others. Audi has the nicest interiors and it's a good little turbo engine. You should be able to get it for less than 30k which leave a little room for options. Don't waste our money on a NAV system, power seats, or headlamp washers. Get leather, premium stereo, Xenon's, and possibly a sport package. The only thing is that the MB comes with more power, and the sport package standard so you won't have to modify it unless you just want to. Right now there really isn't a better deal than the C203 sport sedan unless you're counting discounts from other dealerships, but you'll be giving alot up if you get the Audi without quattro.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help...convince me...