C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Think blizzaks will do any good in pictured weather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
What? The car doesn't know or care what tires are on it. Each wheel has its own speed sensor monitoring it and the car can brake wheels individually. You can be in situations where one wheel has more traction than others (whether front/back or side/side) even if you have a matching set. ESP/ABS works just fine even with 4 different tires on the car - it's perfectly capable of coping with that. What matters is that the sizes are correct.
Good point Matt. Your logic always smacks me upside the head. Duh. While the wifey will be getting a set of 4 winter tires, I may opt to just do the rears on mine yet. Again, as long as I get out of my damn parking lot, I can take it from there.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
What If My Car Has ABS Brakes?
While ABS brakes will help keep you from locking up your tyres, it doesn’t actually improve your tyre’s traction; it simply limits your cars braking to the traction level of your tyres. The only way to maximize your vehicle’s winter performance is to provide your ABS brakes with more grip to work with by using tyres specifically designed for your driving conditions.

Avoid rear-tire slides. First, choose a car with electronic stability control. Fortunately, ESC will be mandatory on all 2012 models. Next, make sure your rear tires have at least as much tread as your front tires. Finally, if you buy winter tires, get four.

http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

What If My Car Has Traction Control?
While traction control will help keep you from overpowering your tires, it doesn't actually improve your tire's traction; it simply limits your car's acceleration to the traction level of your tires. The only way to maximize your vehicle's winter performance is to provide your traction control with more grip to work with by using tires specifically designed for your driving conditions.

What If My Car Has ABS Brakes?
While ABS brakes will help keep you from locking up your tires, it doesn't actually improve your tire's traction; it simply limits your cars braking to the traction level of your tires. The only way to maximize your vehicle's winter performance is to provide your ABS brakes with more grip to work with by using tires specifically designed for your driving conditions.

I would not want to put ABS ESP ESC etc. to work with a "frozen" front set of sumer tires that can get no traction to steer, stop or grip.

The excellent system of ESP by Mercedes-Benz may be able to compensate - but it can not create contact patch.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I'm not arguing that summer tires are for summer and snow tires for snow and using the correctly will improve things. Maybe I misunderstood you.. You don't want to have a set of summer tires on front and snow on rear. But the tires don't have to be exactly matching sets. Two different brands of snow tires on front and rear won't harm anything. Same for summer or all-seasons.

And yes, ESP in the W203 has brilliant slip logic and works extremely well - but it is traction management, it cannot create traction where traction doesn't exist.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
@CPBEASLEY
Steering and braking is more important than traction and hence why you need to run with snowtires all way around. When I run my winter tires it is amazing how little the ABS has to work compared to running all seasons or performance tires on the front, which proves that the tires are doing what they are supposed to do (gripping the slippery surface).

All season tires are really 3 season tires and are fine if you live south of the Mason Dixon line and get the occasional snowfall. For all of us that live in a winter climate and the city or state / province that actually has a fleet of snowplows you NEED winter tires. It actually does not cost you anymore to get 2 sets of dedicated tires as after 80,000km/50,000mi you will have needed to have 2 sets by now and might of well have proper sets. Most tires (performance, and All Season) become as hard as hockey pucks below 7*c (45*f) and are slippery even on wet roads. Winter rubber stays soft and grippy at even lower temps.

Because the car is not designed to be 50/50 weight distibution but rather 55/45 you need to add some weight to the rear if you are not carrying passengers. With 2 passengers in the rear seats you then get around a 50/50 and that is one of the reasons the car was not designed to be perfect balance initially. I have 2 bags of dried sand in a pillow case then inserted into a canvas shopping bags so that it easy to move in and out depending on the road conditions. Each bag is around 70lbs and placed in the well area aft of the rear wheels to give even more or a leverage of weight. It is amazing what a difference it makes adding this little bit of ballast. I never get stuck or have any issues driving a RWD in snow country here in Canada. Give me this set up anyday over a FWD with snows or an AWD with all seasons

Last edited by Boom vang; 01-12-2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling