C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New C350 Sport owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2011 | 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I'd need 10 sets of tires a year. Even though I would never consider a C55 for multiple personal preference reasons, that would certainly be a deal breaker! The 135i's OEM tires lasted 15k.
Old 01-24-2011 | 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Toyo T1R. They grip real well but then again you'll probably need a tire change every 500 miles with those lol
Old 01-24-2011 | 05:06 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Picked up the Benz today and left the Mazda. Boy what a difference on the highway. Now I get to learn how to take care of black paint.

Just curious what kind of MPG you fellow C350 owners are getting on the highway. I reset it and was only seeing 22mpg @ 65-70mph. Turned off the AC and didn't see much difference. I need to verify tire pressures when I get home tonight as well.
Old 01-24-2011 | 05:41 PM
Banned

"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
again, congrats.

when i make the 3 hour drive home to see my parents, ive see 30 mpg on the digital readout.
i get 22 in the city.
16ish if im having fun.
Old 01-24-2011 | 07:23 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by cpbeasley
again, congrats.

when i make the 3 hour drive home to see my parents, ive see 30 mpg on the digital readout.
i get 22 in the city.
16ish if im having fun.
I must have been on a uphill stretch. By the time I got home tonight, it was up towards 26mpg.
Old 01-25-2011 | 08:08 PM

C240
Congratulations on the rare 350, along with bix! Nice look to it.

I left my w203 at a Toyota dealership for a 2011 Camry LE in hopes of better reliability. Your car should be relatively free of issues, as 2007 is the last production year of the w203. I had a 2002 C240, which was a handful, but quite fun. I just couldn't keep up with the repairs, so I jumped on Toyota while they were weak with the recent recalls.

Enjoy! Claybar does wonders..
Old 01-27-2011 | 11:35 AM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Why the heck do used car dealerships seem to think they must 'service' every car they sell? Twice in a row now, I've bought off of dealer lots and they've 'serviced' it incorrectly!

So as you know, I picked this car up on Monday. That night, I checked the oil and tire pressure. Tire pressures fine. I added a bit to the fronts. Pop the hood and saw the oil was reading high. I saw the little 'service due' sticker they put in the car (for 3k miles later!). I called the dealer on Tuesday to ask about the service they did. Turns out they put some crappy synth/dino blend oil in it, not sure what weight. And of course, as mentioned, the overfilled it. I couldn't find out what kind of filter they used. To many unknowns for me.

So, I decided to take advantage of the O'Reilly sale on Mobile1 0W-40 Euro formula (Benz approved 229.5), 8 quarts for $40 (the sale ended Tuesday, so don't bother now). Down the road to the Import store for a Mann Fleece and drain plug washer. Another $18 for both.

As I drained the oil yesterday, I was surprised to see there was no crush washer installed. Nothing except some type of permatex type sealer! What? You gotta be kidding me. Had to take 5 minutes and wire brush all that crap off. Stupid Toyota dealer. At least they did use an OEM Benz filter on it

Pretty easy oil change all in all. I love the top mounted filter. I just need a better floor jack before next time. Mine had a hard time lifting the front high enough to get the right height at the jack stands.

So, here is the funny thing. The CarFax showed a Benz service visit at 43,000 miles and the in car service indicator said I had ~10,000 until Service A was due. So, this poor car ended up having 3 oil changes in just over 3000 miles. ~16 quarts of oil wasted. At least now, I know its good.

When I bought my last car, it was the same thing. A Mazdaspeed from a Hyundai dealer. The put the wrong weight of oil in, they stripped one of the belly pan captured nuts, they lost the push-pin connectors on the belly pan too.

I know some people just want to buy a car knowing it has just been serviced, but really, can't they check the records of the car first?

Last edited by billbillw; 01-27-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-27-2011 | 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hope you reset the computer back to a 13,000 mile fresh interval!

Yes, damn dealers. I hate it when people make stupid assumptions about cars. That's why I let only certain people do anything to my car.
Old 01-27-2011 | 11:45 AM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Hope you reset the computer back to a 13,000 mile fresh interval!

Yes, damn dealers. I hate it when people make stupid assumptions about cars. That's why I let only certain people do anything to my car.
Yes I did that last night. Not sure if I want to go the full 13k though. I will probably do it again at 10k along with new air filter and other things listed for the ~52,000 mile service.
Old 01-27-2011 | 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
10k seems good. some people claim they change it at 6k and this is a waste. earliest I would ever change is 8k. I've always changed it near 11 or 12, never went passed it.
Old 01-27-2011 | 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
I'd need 10 sets of tires a year. Even though I would never consider a C55 for multiple personal preference reasons, that would certainly be a deal breaker! The 135i's OEM tires lasted 15k.
Hey Matt, did you chip your 135i? Chip that thing man...make it into an M3 killer!!
Old 01-27-2011 | 01:42 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
OK, I'm going to take the driver door panel off tonight to see if I can track down the source of an annoying buzz that I hear when the bass hits a certain frequency. Not sure if its inherent with these doors or if there is something loose that I can tighten.

Any usual suspects to look for? I have some leftover RAAMmat dampener that I can use if needed. I'm hoping its just something loose though.
Old 01-27-2011 | 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No buzzes from my doors, nor do I read of that often on the forum so it isn't something inherent.
Old 01-27-2011 | 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Originally Posted by billbillw
Why the heck do used car dealerships seem to think they must 'service' every car they sell? Twice in a row now, I've bought off of dealer lots and they've 'serviced' it incorrectly!

So as you know, I picked this car up on Monday. That night, I checked the oil and tire pressure. Tire pressures fine. I added a bit to the fronts. Pop the hood and saw the oil was reading high. I saw the little 'service due' sticker they put in the car (for 3k miles later!). I called the dealer on Tuesday to ask about the service they did. Turns out they put some crappy synth/dino blend oil in it, not sure what weight. And of course, as mentioned, the overfilled it. I couldn't find out what kind of filter they used. To many unknowns for me.

So, I decided to take advantage of the O'Reilly sale on Mobile1 0W-40 Euro formula (Benz approved 229.5), 8 quarts for $40 (the sale ended Tuesday, so don't bother now). Down the road to the Import store for a Mann Fleece and drain plug washer. Another $18 for both.

As I drained the oil yesterday, I was surprised to see there was no crush washer installed. Nothing except some type of permatex type sealer! What? You gotta be kidding me. Had to take 5 minutes and wire brush all that crap off. Stupid Toyota dealer. At least they did use an OEM Benz filter on it

Pretty easy oil change all in all. I love the top mounted filter. I just need a better floor jack before next time. Mine had a hard time lifting the front high enough to get the right height at the jack stands.

So, here is the funny thing. The CarFax showed a Benz service visit at 43,000 miles and the in car service indicator said I had ~10,000 until Service A was due. So, this poor car ended up having 3 oil changes in just over 3000 miles. ~16 quarts of oil wasted. At least now, I know its good.

When I bought my last car, it was the same thing. A Mazdaspeed from a Hyundai dealer. The put the wrong weight of oil in, they stripped one of the belly pan captured nuts, they lost the push-pin connectors on the belly pan too.

I know some people just want to buy a car knowing it has just been serviced, but really, can't they check the records of the car first?
Because much of the time the cars they get in need work and that is why the PO traded it in because they can't possibly imagine spending money to repair a car when they can spend tons more to buy a new car. You'd be surprised the reasons people trade cars. I've seen people trade cars because they don't want to spend money on tires or brakes!

Some dealers also hire idiots that work for cheap to inspect used cars to get them in and out cheaply and quickly. Those types of people usually don't put much efford into using the correct stuff because they either don't care because it isn't their car or don't even take proper care of their own car. Still no excuse to use the wrong oil and quantity, but unfortunately there are many people out there working on cars that have no business working on cars.
Old 01-27-2011 | 07:52 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by 91RS
Because much of the time the cars they get in need work and that is why the PO traded it in because they can't possibly imagine spending money to repair a car when they can spend tons more to buy a new car. You'd be surprised the reasons people trade cars. I've seen people trade cars because they don't want to spend money on tires or brakes!

Some dealers also hire idiots that work for cheap to inspect used cars to get them in and out cheaply and quickly. Those types of people usually don't put much efford into using the correct stuff because they either don't care because it isn't their car or don't even take proper care of their own car. Still no excuse to use the wrong oil and quantity, but unfortunately there are many people out there working on cars that have no business working on cars.
Of course, I know the reasons why they do it most of the time, but when they can see clear service records, it doesn't make sense.

BTW, Am I the only one who thinks the Auto climate control doesn't work for damn? Mine seems to stay on high fan speed even though I'm comfortable.
Old 01-27-2011 | 08:37 PM
Banned

"annoyance" and "self-righteousness", amoung others...
The auto fan can be tempermental and a little "loud", so I don't know if Im used to it by now or if your hearing something else?
Old 01-27-2011 | 10:54 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by cpbeasley
The auto fan can be tempermental and a little "loud", so I don't know if Im used to it by now or if your hearing something else?
I didn't really like the way it worked in my Mazda either. It always wanted to run the AC, even it was only 28F outside. It was better at controlling the fans than the Benz though. My wife's Honda doesn't seem to satisfy me either. I'm always too hot or too cold and whatever I am, she is the opposite!

Bottom line, I'm probably just too much of a control freak for Auto climate.
Old 01-27-2011 | 11:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
OK, I'm going to take the driver door panel off tonight to see if I can track down the source of an annoying buzz that I hear when the bass hits a certain frequency. Not sure if its inherent with these doors or if there is something loose that I can tighten.

Any usual suspects to look for? I have some leftover RAAMmat dampener that I can use if needed. I'm hoping its just something loose though.
Take the door panel off, look for a thick rubber patch covering the window switches. User rubber or silicone around the switch to stop the buzzing, push the rubber seal back into place. Replace door panel. This is more prevalent on the passenger's side door, so make sure it's not that one instead of the driver's side that's doing it.

PS. There is no rubber cover over the passenger side switch.

Last edited by e1000; 01-27-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2011 | 12:30 AM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by e1000
Take the door panel off, look for a thick rubber patch covering the window switches. User rubber or silicone around the switch to stop the buzzing, push the rubber seal back into place. Replace door panel. This is more prevalent on the passenger's side door, so make sure it's not that one instead of the driver's side that's doing it.

PS. There is no rubber cover over the passenger side switch.
Thanks! I'll check that. I didn't get around to it tonight. Too tired and its too cold out. Hopefully tomorrow. The buzz I'm hearing is definitely from the drivers door. There may be one from the passenger side as well. I'll probably end up checking both sides.
Old 01-28-2011 | 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Of course, I know the reasons why they do it most of the time, but when they can see clear service records, it doesn't make sense.

BTW, Am I the only one who thinks the Auto climate control doesn't work for damn? Mine seems to stay on high fan speed even though I'm comfortable.
Do not turn it all the way to the left or the right and it will control the fan. If you turn it to the hottest setting or coldest setting it says screw it and runs the fan at high.
Old 01-30-2011 | 09:59 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Took advantage of some gorgeous weather here this weekend (in the 70's and sunny) to detail the new ride for the first time. Wash, clay bar, and new coat of wax/sealant on Saturday. I've got some pretty bad swirl marks throughout, along with some minor defects here and there. I'll be getting a DA orbital buffer and some Menzerna polish to deal with that soon enough. For now, it still looks pretty good from a short distance.

Took some shots today.

Old 01-30-2011 | 10:09 PM

'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Great photographs! You got a great car there!

I don't know why it didn't click with me to tell you to just plan on an oil change when you got it. I've talked to several people that have bought a used MB, and they all either had dino oil in them, or no one could tell them what was in it ("yeah, we changed it but...."). I always encourage it just for peace of mind, sort of like starting fresh with the car.
Old 01-30-2011 | 10:22 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Thanks. I wish I'd gotten a better shot of the AMG exhaust tips. I spent about 15 minutes polishing them up with Simichrome and they just came to life. I don't think the original owner ever cleaned the tips properly. There was such a buildup of carbon on the lower lip that I had to use some fine steel wool to get it off.

Other than lots of micro chips on the hood, the biggest flaw by far on this car is the wheels. The frickin lady could not judge distance or something. Every single wheel has some amount of curb rash, and not just in a single spot either. I'll be keeping my eye open for a better set if the price is right.
Old 01-30-2011 | 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Those are the most attractive W203 rims. I have them on my car. Instead of looking to replace them, there is a place in Cartersville that does resurface/refinish jobs on wheels for $50-75 each wheel. It's a lot cheaper than replacing them and you'll get to keep the best 203 rims out there.

That car is gorgeous. I just love the 07s anyway, for the rims and the lip spoiler and exhaust tips. The BIX just adds to its appeal.

Want to trade?
Old 01-31-2011 | 01:51 AM

'13 F10 535i / '05 W211 E55
looks good

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New C350 Sport owner