C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Porterfield Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porterfield Sensor

I need new brake pads. It seems to me that the pagid pads on those catalog sites are all stock(called) and i dont know where else i can find the pagid low dust pads. So i am interested in the porterfields but i want the sensor to work. I called Porterfield and http://www.myroadster.net/ and they told me that there was a hole for the sensor.. But i have been hearing diffrent things.. from people on the fourm..
Has anyone ordered porterfield pads recently and has had the proper hole for the sensor. if so where did you get them from?
Old 06-02-2003, 05:56 PM

05 E500
Porterfield

Yes, I have brand new Porterfield pads still here in the box. I am trying to schedule an installer for both the brakes and the "six-step" silencer treatment (as a precaution).

I ordered my pads from Jerry Jones, at myroadster.com. I am now speaking with the people at GWR for the installation tips. As far as I know, the sensor "hole" is there.

Let me know specifically what you're looking for, and I will furnish you what I can identify about my pads/application.

Christopher

c2jones@bellsouth.net
Old 06-03-2003, 09:11 PM

2002 C240 Classic
whats the six step precaution???
Old 06-04-2003, 01:57 PM

05 E500
Six- Step Silencer treatment

Obviously, you did not go to the aforementioned websites for detailing on this. If you have real interest in the Porterfield application prescribed by myroadster.com, then going to those sites would be consistent with this.

To address your passing interest question:

http://www.myroadster.net/6_Steps_to_Quiet_Brakes.asp

Since any new brake pad could possibly squeal, precautionary steps should be taken. The best known available for this process is called a brake-in burnish, or silencer process.

This was first used in Switzerland, Sweden, Germany and other European countries to deal with their makes (Volvo, Saab, BMW, MB, etc.) in regard to the dreaded brake noise they were known for. If the proper steps are taken, brake noise is eliminated.

So, in the end, with this application, one ends up with practically dust and noise free brakes. This is the ideal interest.

Christopher
Old 06-04-2003, 02:02 PM

2002 C320
please let us know how it goes =)
Old 06-24-2003, 03:02 AM

Location: From Oxnard; living in Ocean View Hills, San Diego, CA
'01 C320 SS
Unhappy

I ordered my pads 2 weeks ago from myroadster.com...due a "misdirected Shipment by FedEx", I'm still waiting...
Old 06-24-2003, 01:07 PM

05 E500
Porterfield

Rob,

Actually, while I received my parts right away, in truth this has not really served me completely, as the parts are still on the floor right next to me (and not on the car).

The reason for this is that the people at GWR who market the Silencer (included with the kit) have not been able to find the time or means to recommend a place capable of doing the service. Therefore, if the Silencer is deemed important before installing the brakes, but no one is familiar with the "six step" process needed to perform said installation, then we cannot gain from this application.

This is really a shame, because the people at My Roadster (Jerry Jones) meant well by including the Silencer kit, but really had no idea about the difficulty that would follow finding a shop with familiarity to properly perform the work.

I suspect if I just went into a local brake shop, they'd say, "yeah sure, we'll follow your little six step process for you," but would they really bother? Who/how would one know? They would likely just slap on the pads and call it a day.

I am going to phone Jerry this afternoon about this. If this process is going to be cumbersome, the other forum members should know. The people at GWR are gaining business (as they deserve for their fine products), but are not helpful thus far with the installation. The people at GWR first said they could help, but then later became rather preoccupied to carry this through.

I will keep you posted upon my results.

Christopher
Old 06-25-2003, 03:36 PM

Location: From Oxnard; living in Ocean View Hills, San Diego, CA
'01 C320 SS
I received my pads and kit from Jerry Jones yesterday. MyRoadster.com has very good prices and Jerry really kept in touch with me when vendor mistakenly sent my parts to the east coast instead of the west. I will buy again from him if the need arises.

They have sensor holes for the front and rear as promised. Question, though; there were no anit-vibration shims for the front, only the back. Is that correct? Also, for those who needed to replace the sensor, how much are they, are they easy to get and how much are they?

My indicator came on; should I expect to order one, or just buy all 4?

I wasn't planning on buying front rotors @ 50k on a 1st set of pads...is it cost effective to do so?

Last edited by CHATMANR; 06-25-2003 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:50 PM

05 E500
Sensors

I wish I had the answers you seek, as I will need to know these things myself, it would appear.

The slow shipment issue you had, has really nothing to do with Jerry. Instead, this is a matter of the vendor applying a wrong address (incompetence somewhere) to your outgoing parcel.

The parts application one would presume is sound and complete. Jerry has gone the extra mile to insure the best overall performance and braking experience possible. (I'm hoping to get the same results with Gary at GWR.)

Regarding the anti-vibration shims only for the rear, and not the front, well, this is a matter I will have to inquire about myself. Perhaps this is normal. In respect to your indicator coming on and the question about having to buy front rotors, this is another matter which confuses me and will trigger further questions on my part.

Our new (1K miles) MB sedan is hardly in need of rotors or sensors. Nothing like this was ever mentioned to me as needed. GWR will be performing a special hands-on application for me, perhaps with video demontration purposes within the next couple of weeks. I'll know far more by then.

Back in touch...

Christopher