C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: What Tires are the best?
Goodyear
5.92%
Toyo
7.89%
Michelin
39.44%
Continental
12.11%
Falken
7.04%
Pirelli
12.11%
Other
15.49%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

W203/CL203/S203 TIRE Discussion Thread - Every question on TIRES

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-17-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
Nope.
But Taylor's got a big chip on his shoulder about this!

As far as your eluding to my being a dumbass driver, Taylor - I'll let you know when I have my first traffic accident in a car.
And, Mr Canadian, your county's bacon sucks.

Originally posted by truelove79

RedC230K,

do you even know anyone around here that owns a set of snow tires (besides those who live in the backwoods) and actually uses them? i'd never even heard of them until recently.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
Originally posted by RedC230K
Nope.

As far as your eluding to my being a dumbass driver, Taylor - I'll let you know when I have my first traffic accident in a car.
now now josh, we don't wanna **** anyone off here. maybe he was hit by someone with non-winter tires in the past.

do they make sandstorm tires, or flood tires, or hurricane tires, or maybe nuclear fallout tires, or gravel and mud tires, or maybe even some green jello tires. that way i could keep them all in a trailer towed behind my coupe and change tires to any situation i needed to handle. can't risk my life ya know.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
now now josh, we don't wanna **** anyone off here. maybe he was hit by someone with non-winter tires in the past.

do they make sandstorm tires, or flood tires, or hurricane tires, or maybe nuclear fallout tires, or gravel and mud tires, or maybe even some green jello tires. that way i could keep them all in a trailer towed behind my coupe and change tires to any situation i needed to handle. can't risk my life ya know.
Well, I wish you luck... It's going to snow in your town tomorrow. Keep bragging!

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourb...ur=7&begDay=18
Old 01-17-2003, 05:31 PM

11' E-350 BlueTec
Winter tires

Hey Vadim!
I think you mentioned that you've got winter tires. If that's correct, could you please tell me which ones did you get?
I have the C7 with Michelin Pilots and they sucked a couple of weeks ago (I also live in Virginia) and today. So I was wondering if I should go with winter tires or just keep this set and stay home on snowing days.
Thanks !

Angel
Old 01-17-2003, 05:35 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Re: Winter tires

I use (and like) Michelin Pilot Alpins on C7 wheels in the winter.

Originally posted by amiras
Hey Vadim!
I think you mentioned that you've got winter tires. If that's correct, could you please tell me which ones did you get?
I have the C7 with Michelin Pilots and they sucked a couple of weeks ago (I also live in Virginia) and today. So I was wondering if I should go with winter tires or just keep this set and stay home on snowing days.
Thanks !

Angel
Old 01-17-2003, 05:51 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I had them on my first car a 2000 328Ci. The ContiSport 1 was OEM. On the dry they performed ok, but it Hydros in wet. Really really bad hydros in wet.

ContiSport 2 is much better than 1, but they are a bit more expensive. My sister have them on 17s 225/45 all around.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Winter tires

Originally posted by amiras
Hey Vadim!
Thanks !

Angel
Angel, check this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=3

I decided to get a separate set of 16" wheels exclusively for winter - also spares both sets from being damaged during tire re-mounting.

They are great in the snow and slush. Plus, they ride softer - a good bonus for winter driving.

Last edited by vadim; 01-17-2003 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:29 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by RedC230K
Nope.

Hey I never insulted your country... just like a typical American... they start a war to hide the true problems.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:39 PM
taylor192

No, I ran my car 2 years ago into the side of the garage on the steep incline due to it being a little icy and me having really worn summer tires on, and I remember how "careful" I drove then cause I was a student and too poor to buy a set of winter tires ... I'd hate that to happen to my new baby.

if you drive in a: flood, hurricane, nuclear fallout, sandstorm... maybe you are one of those "dumbass drivers" mentioned to exist in IL.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by taylor192
Hey I never insulted your country... just like a typical American... they start a war to hide the true problems.
How old are you?
You mentioned above that this is the first time you had to pay for your own insurance.
Did you read my post, a few posts above, about different laws?
If not, then please do so.
Now, in regards to insurance. In my state we have an insurance company that automatically tries to assign a percentage of blame because
1) you own the vehicle their client hit,
2) you drove it on the road at the same time as their client.
Guess what? People are fighting this percentage split and are winning. This is from a friend of mine who happens to sell policies for this company. And it is causing nothing but grief for him.

Now as to starting wars. This will sound as if I'm flaming you but I'm not.
You sound very young with a me-centric attitude. Take a look again at this thread with all the answer and the patience exhibited by the membership. The membership here is very knowledgable so it would be best to have your ducks lined up. Good arguments will always win out over emotional outbursts. You can take this piece of advice for what it is worth, what you paid for it. But remember this; it is a small world and sometime in the future you might need the advice. Would it therefore not be better to be in an intelligent, even maybe heated, discussion that an all out war.
Nobody here is involved in an issue with national pride. Different laws and such in different areas, countries, etc. Good luck to you.

Just my $0.02
Old 01-17-2003, 08:34 PM

2003 C230 Black C7 & Snows
Snows - Depends where y'are

May I interject another viewpoint here?

I am just about to take delivery of my 2003 C230 tomorrow. Being in CCC (Cold Country Canada) and in the "snow belt" (north-east of Lake Ontario...those in the Watertown/Syracuse area know what I'm talking about), I'll have to wait until the spring to fully enjoy the C7 package. In the meantime, I ordered standard 16-inch steel rims with Pilot Alpins to get me through the winter fun-fest.

Why, you ask?

Well, a few weeks ago, when we were having a typical snow-storm in Kingston, I decided to go to my nearest MB dealer and strong-armed the dealer into letting me take a C7 C230 that I had my eye on, out on a test drive. (He was rather reluctant, to say the least). I wanted to see just how the C7 C230 would handle in the worst winter conditions (and believe me! conditions were darn close to being worst!).

Well, to make a slippery story short, I was quite impressed with how the C230 handled. (Boy! did the ABS and ESP get a workout. I may have burnt out the ESP indicator!!!). Didn't get stuck once, but traction was very problematic. Enough so that it became a no-brainer, to me at least, that "high performance winter tires" were essential for the 4-5 snowy months up here.

I want to enjoy driving my beauty all year round, and, since traction seems to have somewhat of an impact on driving enjoyment, I've bitten the bullet and plunked down another $1.5K Cdn for winter tires/rims/covers. Who need a sunroof anyways? :p

So, that's my 2-cents worth (1.3 centsUS).

And, just in case you are wondering, they are forecasting snow tomorrow when I pick up my baby.

Pics to follow....

Cheers everyone.

(P.S. Taylor. I did 9 years in Ottawa before I escaped to Kingston. How's the Queensway parking lot these days? )
Old 01-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Re: Snows - Depends where y'are

Originally posted by wolfswampmike
I decided to go to my nearest MB dealer and strong-armed the dealer into letting me take a C7 C230 that I had my eye on, out on a test drive. (He was rather reluctant, to say the least).
So, that's my 2-cents worth (1.3 centsUS).
Buwhahahahahahaha
Old 01-17-2003, 10:29 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
No, I didn't insult your country. I insulted Canadian bacon.
It was a joke.

Vadim,
Thanks for the heads up on the snow tomorrow. I'll certainly use extra caution.

Old 01-17-2003, 11:17 PM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
If I had a digital camera I would post a picture of how little snow we get, when it snowed a couple of days ago by noon it all gone off the streets, the streets are all white now from what ever chemical they used to melt are typical 1-2 inch, five time a year snowfall.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:55 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by amdeutsch
How old are you?
You mentioned above that this is the first time you had to pay for your own insurance.
Did you read my post, a few posts above, about different laws?
If not, then please do so.
Now, in regards to insurance. In my state we have an insurance company that automatically tries to assign a percentage of blame because
1) you own the vehicle their client hit,
2) you drove it on the road at the same time as their client.
Guess what? People are fighting this percentage split and are winning. This is from a friend of mine who happens to sell policies for this company. And it is causing nothing but grief for him.

Now as to starting wars. This will sound as if I'm flaming you but I'm not.
You sound very young with a me-centric attitude. Take a look again at this thread with all the answer and the patience exhibited by the membership. The membership here is very knowledgable so it would be best to have your ducks lined up. Good arguments will always win out over emotional outbursts. You can take this piece of advice for what it is worth, what you paid for it. But remember this; it is a small world and sometime in the future you might need the advice. Would it therefore not be better to be in an intelligent, even maybe heated, discussion that an all out war.
Nobody here is involved in an issue with national pride. Different laws and such in different areas, countries, etc. Good luck to you.

Just my $0.02
Lighten up, he made a witty comment about Canada and our bacon, I responded with a very very common joke about Americans right now, maybe you haven't heard the jokes...

I throw out 1 joke and continue a play on words of another post... these are emotional outbursts...??? wow... usually they call that good writing...

As for your other comment, I made several points about how bad it is to drive in the snow with summer tires, how cheaply and easily the situation can be avoided, made a comment and asked a question about insurance and laws, and 2 of the "knowledgable members" decided to start making a few wisecracks about Canada and "a chip on my shoulder" and sarcasm towards my posts... if you call this "good advice" or "good arguments" then I don't need this.

How about you take another look at this forum, and see whenever someone writes a thread a little controversial that eventually the "good arguments" decline into rhetoric, insults, and jokes, and good dsicussions are very hard to maintain on these forums, or any forum.

I read your post, and it did answer my question, that some insurance companies do assign blame, and therefore maybe having the wrong tires for the conditions causes blame to be assinged, and the insurance never pays up... maybe you'll win if you fight it... but great, you're out the damages to get your car repaired until you win that battle... and the fees you pay to try and win that battle... yay! I'd rather spend the $500 and get a set of good used tires/rims and not bother with the potential hassle.

I'm 24 and never had to get my own insurance policy cause grouped with my parents I get a better discount than I could get on my own, and I have never had an accident so I have never had a chance to use an insurance policy and not quite sure how it would work, so I stated my understanding of what I read in my policy, which I read front-back cause I didn't want to be the typical young, unexperienced and uninformed person.

Whole point of this, I was trying to convey that I've been in the situation where I tried to drive on unsuitable tires cause I didn't have the $$$ to buy them at the time, and after having a small accident with my parking garage that cracked my bumper, I'd never do it again, I'd find a way to get the $$$. A few $$$ now is worth it to save potential bigger $$$ later.

I'll say this though, if I lived where there was only snow 4-5 days of the year, I probably wouldn't buy winter or even all-season tires, but I would drive my old beater Camry with the all-seasons on it.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
this is rather humorous. sorry for starting the bickering guys. i'm really a friendly guy and i didn't mean to insult anyone or cause any fighting. i just know there's no need for winter tires here, but thanks for sticking up for me.

as for it snowing today here, it's a perfectly sunny day with not a cloud in the sky, but i am aware that it is supposed to snow later this afternoon. fortunately, my beautiful wife is home and she can drive if need be, but like i said, there is no problem driving my car on light snow around peoria. and i do check the weather everyday to make sure if i should take my car out or not, but if it does snow, it only stays on the roads for about 2 hours before it's all salted and plowed away.

thanks again for caring about me guys
Old 01-18-2003, 02:08 PM

C230 K coupe Orion blue, Evo, prem leather roof, premium sound and cd changer, auto.
Re: Re: Re: got to drive in the snow this morning with C7 Tires

well okay, the sumitomo HTR+ tires are rated by tirerack.com as ultra high performance all-season tires as well as the michelin pilot sport AS (all-season) tires. whatever that means, i don't know, but that's what i will get. they may not be true all-seasons, but you know what i mean.

and i will glady accept advice from anyone who has driven on summer tires in the snow in central illinois or anywhere else flat. but if you're talking about hills and tons of snow a year then that doesn't apply to me.

and there isn't much risk at all involved, just slow steady driving. when it snows all i have to do is get to work (i would never drive on an interstate or in the country on my tires in the snow, duh). which consists of driving on one generally well plowed straight flat street through town. as for other moronic drivers, i don't think snow tires are gonna stop a huge SUV from slamming into the side of me.

did i mention that i just drove it and it was not dangerous at all.
Ya I've driven with the Michelin Pilot Sport 225 ZR 17s on my C230 last winter. We had about two to three snow days. Each of those days was a real pain. This year I purchased 4 Michelin 225 45 Pilot Alpin Winter performance tires (We had a lot more snow this year) There is a huge night and day difference between the summer Piolots and Winter Pilots. At least I can drive in snow and icy conditions with all the confidence in the world. It's that much easier in avoiding potential hazards including ditches and wayward drivers. Although, my first choice in Winter performance tires would have been the Pirelli Winter and Ice tires, I think that the Michelins are a great tradeoff in super high performance in inclement weather for a quieter ride. These tires are as quiet as the summer tires. Can't complain.

Last edited by Goggles Piasano; 01-18-2003 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:20 PM

C230 K coupe Orion blue, Evo, prem leather roof, premium sound and cd changer, auto.
Question Re: Re: Re: got to drive in the snow this morning with C7 Tires

you obviously can't picture in your head exactly what my trip to work looks like. and so far there has been boundaries on how i can drive 1 day out of the year, and the boundaries aren't very high. and no, it's not dangerous, and i'm sticking with that point. it's annoying, slow, and boring but not dangerous, not any more dangerous than driving usually is. i am not gonna go buy some winter tires only to never use them (as i'm told will happen to you around here, waste of money).

if you tell people around here that you have summer tires, they jokingly say "guess you won't be driving off road then huh?" not "OH MY GOD, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!!! GO BUY SOME WINTER TIRES NOW OR YOU'RE GONNA FLIP YOUR CAR!!! GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL!!" i'm sure if you rode in the car with me instead of imagining me driving to work on an interstate or along a cliff or something then you would see my point.
How can it not snow a whole lot in Illinois? It aint Southern Ohio or Kentucky. Youse guys are adjacent to the great lakes and I here that places in upstate NY get dumped on because of their proximity to the great lakes. So howse it that youse guys get spared?
Old 01-18-2003, 02:27 PM

Are you sure? Cause you can be ticketed for having tires that are worn too much, thus if you had an accident you could get a ticket for driving with worn tires, whcih could lead to a ticket for careless driving, which could lead to you assuming 100% fault for the accident which then means your insurance company tells you "up yours" and doesn't give you a penny... just wondering if they could apply the same law to wrong tires for conditions...
It would be a form of impaired driving.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by avlis
I think you want LESS tire on the road in snowy slushy conditions.

Wider is only better in snow when it is so deep that you need to float on top of it (like off-road).
If you ever noticed the WRAC rallies in Sweeden and Finland in the middle of winter, the tires are very thin, as to reduce the amount of surface area. The more tread you have in such icy snowy conditions (high surface area) would get you nowhere fast.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:37 PM

This is the first car I pay my own insurance on and really care about... but I understood the policy differently... if I was assigned 25% blame, the insurance company would only pay out 75% of what the damages total to my car... maybe I just understand insurance policies wrong as I have never had to use them...
You better get a real insurance company if your policy has only partial coverage. My company will also protect my rates if I'm at fault. This is only $35 extra. This means that my current rates would not be affected.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:55 PM

Lighten up, he made a witty comment about Canada and our bacon, I responded with a very very common joke about Americans right now, maybe you haven't heard the jokes...

I throw out 1 joke and continue a play on words of another post... these are emotional outbursts...??? wow... usually they call that good writing...

As for your other comment, I made several points about how bad it is to drive in the snow with summer tires, how cheaply and easily the situation can be avoided, made a comment and asked a question about insurance and laws, and 2 of the "knowledgable members" decided to start making a few wisecracks about Canada and "a chip on my shoulder" and sarcasm towards my posts... if you call this "good advice" or "good arguments" then I don't need this.

How about you take another look at this forum, and see whenever someone writes a thread a little controversial that eventually the "good arguments" decline into rhetoric, insults, and jokes, and good dsicussions are very hard to maintain on these forums, or any forum.

I read your post, and it did answer my question, that some insurance companies do assign blame, and therefore maybe having the wrong tires for the conditions causes blame to be assinged, and the insurance never pays up... maybe you'll win if you fight it... but great, you're out the damages to get your car repaired until you win that battle... and the fees you pay to try and win that battle... yay! I'd rather spend the $500 and get a set of good used tires/rims and not bother with the potential hassle.

I'm 24 and never had to get my own insurance policy cause grouped with my parents I get a better discount than I could get on my own, and I have never had an accident so I have never had a chance to use an insurance policy and not quite sure how it would work, so I stated my understanding of what I read in my policy, which I read front-back cause I didn't want to be the typical young, unexperienced and uninformed person.

Whole point of this, I was trying to convey that I've been in the situation where I tried to drive on unsuitable tires cause I didn't have the $$$ to buy them at the time, and after having a small accident with my parking garage that cracked my bumper, I'd never do it again, I'd find a way to get the $$$. A few $$$ now is worth it to save potential bigger $$$ later.

I'll say this though, if I lived where there was only snow 4-5 days of the year, I probably wouldn't buy winter or even all-season tires, but I would drive my old beater Camry with the all-seasons on it.

I'm Canadian and lived in the US. It boggles my mind everytime I hear US bashing from people who get miopic views from the 6 O'clock news. If I had a choice today I would move back to NY city in a heartbeat. But for those in big American cities, Chicago, NY, LA, DC. Toronto Canada is no different culturally with good American values.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
Re: Re: Re: Re: got to drive in the snow this morning with C7 Tires

Originally posted by Goggles Piasano
How can it not snow a whole lot in Illinois? It aint Southern Ohio or Kentucky. Youse guys are adjacent to the great lakes and I here that places in upstate NY get dumped on because of their proximity to the great lakes. So howse it that youse guys get spared?
it can snow alot and has but the roads are rarely a problem, especially in the city. i grew up in the country and when it snowed the biggest problem wasn't the actual snow but the drifting across the road that high winds caused in this flat state. but in peoria, it isn't much of a problem unless there is a huge blizzard.

now chicago is completely different story and i have no clue why, i guess cause of the lake. they get alot of snow up there. and this winter was supposed to be and has been a light snow winter. next year may be different.

there is actually plenty of snow on the ground now, but the roads are 100% clear and usually are clear just a couple hours after the snowfall.

i actually wish this winter was gonna be a heavy snowfall winter cause i love the snow. then i would have a reason to get all-seasons right now.

Last edited by truelove; 01-18-2003 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
another tire question.

I am looking for new rims as you all know. I was talking with the Rondell rep and he was trying to tell me that a 255/40/17 tire will fit the front of the coupe. I told him it won't. Does anyone know the answer?
Old 01-29-2003, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
Just spoke with Peter at Wheels Experts and Ben at Evosport ( both are nice guys BTW) and have confirmed that a W203 coupe will only fit a 235/45/17 up front ( tire will be a little too tall) and a 255 in the back.

I will be going with a 225/45/17 with a 10mm spacer in the back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203/S203 TIRE Discussion Thread - Every question on TIRES