C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Steering Wheel Cross Compatibility ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 Coupe (CL203)
Question Steering Wheel Cross Compatibility ?

ok, so as some of you may be aware, i'm looking at the various options etc etc for adding paddle shift to my 2005 C-Class Coupe which did not have it spec'd from new. I've asked this elsewhere too, with little response, so thought i'd give it a go here (and a couple of other places, so my apologies if you've already read it )

The best option, if i was lucky, would be to find a Brabus R171 wheel, like this ....
Part #171-805-10

Which would allow me to keep my original airbag and switches, but will give me the paddles i want .... but they are expensive, and dam hard to find !

Failing that, if i wish to retain exactly the same style steering wheel Airbag and buttons, the Mercedes SLK R171 wheel is the next best bet, which has the newer style paddles, such as this one....
A1714604503

and then should i wish i can add these AMG aluminium ones later.....

Now, looking around at various things, and i found my self wondering, if it might be possible to fit one of these.....

Steering Wheel: A2048604202 (C63 AMG ??)

Which uses this airbag usually......

but swap it for this airbag (A2308601702) to give me the right multi-function controls....

so, anyone know if the 203 and 204 carried the same spline fittings and retention system for the steering wheel, and also whether the SL airbag might be compatible ?

cheers for any thoughts

EDIT:
The airbag does appear to be similar to the one fitted to the CLC coupe ....

Have to admit, this is an intriguing question/scenario, because the more i look at it the more interesting things get, for example, i don't currently have Linquatronic.... would i like it, sure, but, as i have COMAND APS NTG 2.0 the sensible option would be an upgrade to 2.5, because the Linquatronic kit costs about a grand, yet is built in on the 2.5 ... but what i don't have is the steering column switch, or cowling, however if i was to use one of these, assuming it fitted, and could be wired, then i would be saving myself some ££ if i wished to upgrade to comansd 2.5 later...

which would look like this .....

If you have any info that might be useful, no matter how small please chip in